Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Even when I've made close-together transactions at the same store in good faith (Safeway for pharmacy + groceries), it seems that the AEDP card only counts one towards the monthly purchase total.

(Personally, I'd suggest buying, say, an Amazon gift certificate at the end of the month if you find yourself just short of the transaction number needed)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mrpinkca
Looking at that per transaction bonus, does it count if you have lets say 2 or 3 transactions within a few minutes of eachother at the same place? For example going to target and buying a vacuum cleaner and a pair of pants and asking the cashier for separate transactions?

Or to a more extreme example, what were to happen if I were to go grocery shopping at a nice quiet time, headover to a self checkout machine and proceed to ring up each item individually? Does amex shut you down over this sort of behavior?
While the T&Cs don't cover that per se, they do say (at the Benefits T&Cs link within the 20% link in the wiki at the top of this thread):
"Some merchants combine separate charges into a single transaction before submitting it to us. When this happens, the combined transaction will count as a single purchase for purposes of counting towards 20 separate purchases. For example, if you charge three items to your Card at the same online merchant at three separate times over one or more days, the merchant may combine those three charges and submit them as a single transaction. In that case, that combined transaction will count as one purchase."
IOTW, you may first need to find a place where it actually gets reported as separate transactions, before you can worry about whether Amex will shut you down.

I don't have an Everyday card yet. But I had a card from another bank where they gave me a promo for bonus miles if I did 50 separate purchases in 2 months. I split up my groceries (which I normally buy all on one day of the week) over several days of the week (each time I was passing by the grocery store, which I pass often), and took some online bills and instead of paying them all at once split up the payments, spreading them apart by at least a week to not look too suspicious. But then at that bank it was a one-time promo, so I wasn't so worried about them "shutting me down" anyway. What you may want to do on a card like Amex Everyday where this is a regular bonus might be different...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:48 pm

I bought several Amazon gift card balance reloads for a few dollars each and they posted as separate transactions. I also split-payment at Subway and swiped my card 3 times per visit. They don't combine.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:25 pm

Punched my info into the preapproval site - Amex Everyday (no annual fee) came up as a pre-screened option for 15k MR points instead of the 10k listed everywhere else

15,000 Membership Rewards® Points
Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†
†Offer Terms

NO ANNUAL FEE

and NO ANNUAL FEE for Additional Cards.

2X Points
at U.S. supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1X).
1X Points
on other purchases.
Terms and Limitations Apply. ‡
Earn 20% Extra Points
Use your Card 20 or more times on purchases in a billing period and get 20% more points on those purchases less returns and credits. Terms and limitations apply.‡
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
Punched my info into the preapproval site - Amex Everyday (no annual fee) came up as a pre-screened option for 15k MR points instead of the 10k listed everywhere else

15,000 Membership Rewards® Points
Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†
†Offer Terms

NO ANNUAL FEE

and NO ANNUAL FEE for Additional Cards.

2X Points
at U.S. supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1X).
1X Points
on other purchases.
Terms and Limitations Apply. ‡
Earn 20% Extra Points
Use your Card 20 or more times on purchases in a billing period and get 20% more points on those purchases less returns and credits. Terms and limitations apply.‡
Your profile says "YVR". Are you based in Canada? If so, is this the Canadian version? Upthread last mention of Canada (in early April) implied there was no Everyday in Canada yet.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:06 pm

Updated profile, this is the US version. There is no Canadian version.

Used the link here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...alified-offers
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
Updated profile, this is the US version. There is no Canadian version.

Used the link here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...alified-offers
That link is not working well for me. My address (##### Xxxxx Yyyyyy Blvd) doesn't fit on the address line. When I type as much of it as I can (which gets cut off at the "B" in "Blvd"), it says it can't find anything for me (is that because of the truncated address or not?), and asks me to log in. Then when I log in (using my normal Amex site login), it says the page is outdated.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
...(is that because of the truncated address or not?
Nothing personal. My entire address fits, and I see:

Sorry, we are unable to find any mail offers for you at this time.
Log-in now for personalized offers, engaging interactive experiences, and fast servicing
After logging in:

Looking for something at American Express?
We're sorry. The web address (URL) you requested has either moved or no longer exists.

Please feel free to use our site map or choose your country.

Thank you for visiting American Express.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:32 am

Just looked at the pending points for June statement for my Everyday Preferred card. I spent about $1500 at the grocery stores which was still within $6k/yr limit. Instead of earning 3x pts for grocery purchases I earned only 1x. Yes, I did purchase VGCs at Safeway, but I also had regular grocery purchases at other places, which still earned only 1x. I had this card since last August and never had anything like
this happen.

Last edited by friedice; Jun 6, 2015 at 2:34 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
How are people doing with managing the transaction quantity aspect of this card? I just got the Preferred version, and notice I'm checking the AMEX website or app a lot more often.

I'm used to monitoring expenses - but number of transactions is a new wrinkle. And like other posters, noticing that those multiple pending transactions at the office cafeteria are getting dialed back into a single purchase.

I like that the card can be used to pay for FHR bookings.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:16 pm

I hit 20 every month on the no-fee card. Monthly bills are gimmes:

1. Car insurance
2. Natural gas
3. Electricity
4. SiriusXM
5. Spotify
6. Netflix

In a typical month I'll shop at groceries 8x (twice weekly), drugstores 3x, Amazon 1x. I'll take one roundtrip Uber (that's 2 transactions) and boom, 20.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355

1. Car insurance
2. Natural gas
3. Electricity
4. SiriusXM
5. Spotify
6. Netflix

In a typical month I'll shop at groceries 8x (twice weekly), drugstores 3x, Amazon 1x. I'll take one roundtrip Uber (that's 2 transactions) and boom, 20.
But that sounds like you're using it as just about your only regular card, right?

I'm guessing that most of the questions about how to get to 20 here are from people who are using other cads too. (I have no problem getting 20 across all my cards every month. But most of that goes on whatever card I just signed up for and am working on the signup bonus, so that leaves relatively little for a "regular" card that I"m holding.)

But of course, if you're not putting your big purchases on it, who cares that much if you're getting the extra 20% (except for people who obsess over such things whether the math makes sense or not, I guess)?

To me, the whole need to have 20 purchases is an attempt by Amex to make you use that as pretty much your only card. It'd harder to get to 20 on Everyday if you're chasing category bonuses on other cards (steering your supermarket purchases to one card that earns a bonus on those, steering you gas purchases to another card that earns a bonus on those, using the card for that hotel program for every hotel stay since you get a bonus that way, etc).
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
...It'd harder to get to 20 on Everyday if you're chasing category bonuses on other cards.
None of the charges mentioned by davie355 fall into categories for which there are commonly category bonuses, except supermarkets for which Everyday itself has a category bonus.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355

1. Car insurance
2. Natural gas
3. Electricity
4. SiriusXM
5. Spotify
6. Netflix

My understanding is, car insurance if paid on monthly basis, you are essentially paying higher amount than if you pay every 6 months.

I dont bother with the 20% extra unless I have over $1K charge that month. For the actual grocery spend, 70% of the places I shop for our groceries, AMEX does not code them as grocery stores. Only Publix / Winn Dixie / Whole Foods work in my area - they are much more expensive than the ethnic grocers / independent grocers, WalMart Neighborhood Stores or even Target.

The 20% or 50% additional bonus certainly does NOTHING to make me use Everyday for everything even outside category bonus because I can earn 2.2% on A+, 2% on FIA and Citi 1+1.

I only get the Everyday to warehouse my membership reward pts which now with the coming devaluation of BA transfer, has become less worth to me.

True it does take up one spot in the only 4 credit cards allowed by AMEX, but with the lifetime bonus policy on the personal card, this has become non-issue.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
I dont bother with the 20% extra unless I have over $1K charge that month. For the actual grocery spend, 70% of the places I shop for our groceries, AMEX does not code them as grocery stores. Only Publix / Winn Dixie / Whole Foods work in my area - they are much more expensive than the ethnic grocers / independent grocers, WalMart Neighborhood Stores or even Target.

I only get the Everyday to warehouse my membership reward pts which now with the coming devaluation of BA transfer, has become less worth to me
I agree. Since I'm one person living alone, there is no way I would ever spend $6k/yr on groceries, especially since I buy lots of my groceries at Costco. I plan to use about $5k of my 6k on gift cards. If I use my Everyday card I get >20 transactions and buy a couple gift cards at the grocery store. Other than that the only reason I have the card is to be able to transfer my stash of MR points.

Contrary to Amex's desires, I don't use my everyday card each day or even each month. It's just too many transactions when I have a handful of other credit cards I have to use to meet min spend, hit bonuses, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.