Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
There is still the 4.5 points per dollar feature at supermarkets as a point of differentiation.
Capped at 6k. And the number of grocery stores selling VGC's is dwindling making this less and less useful by the day.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
...the number of grocery stores selling VGC's is dwindling making this less and less useful by the day.
I buy food and drink at grocery stores, not giftcards.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Whoa, Mia, that's crazytalk. Don't tell me you actually buy office supplies at office supply stores, too?!

Joking aside... the combo of $95 annual fee, forex fees, and 30-purchase requirement of the EDP is growing wearying. I welcome more competition from Chase like this
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:50 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
...combo of $95 annual fee, forex fees, and 30-purchase requirement of the EDP is growing wearying. I welcome more competition from Chase like this
We don't avoid the annual fee with Chase Freedom Unlimited, we still need to have one premium Chase card to make the points transferable. I expect that Freedom Unlimited will carry the usual 3% FTF. The only real advantage is avoiding the 30 transaction requirement.

It would be interesting if American Express were to remove the 2.7% FTF from Everyday Preferred.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Whoa, Mia, that's crazytalk. Don't tell me you actually buy office supplies at office supply stores, too?!

Joking aside... the combo of $95 annual fee, forex fees, and 30-purchase requirement of the EDP is growing wearying. I welcome more competition from Chase like this
Don't forget AMEX's policy of making you wait 30 days for points to go from pending to completed which is absurd.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:03 pm
mia

... wait 30 days...
Yes, that's annoying and bad marketing. Much better to see your rewards balance climb each time you login as it does at Diners Club or the IDC version of Membership Rewards. On the other hand, at Chase there is the monthly ritual of consolidating points by transferring from one account to another, waiting anxiously to see if the Unexpected Error will appear. (Are there Expected Errors?)
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Originally Posted by mia
We don't avoid the annual fee with Chase Freedom Unlimited, we still need to have one premium Chase card to make the points transferable. I expect that Freedom Unlimited will carry the usual 3% FTF. The only real advantage is avoiding the 30 transaction requirement.

It would be interesting if American Express were to remove the 2.7% FTF from Everyday Preferred.
Good points (no pun intended).

Personally, I've had an Ink+ card for ages (the 5x on ISP charges itself makes it fee-break-even for me :-) AND an EDP, so for me, the $95 EDP AF is an incremental additional charge.

Another benefit you hadn't mentioned: I still regularly encounter places that do not take Amex (or, in a few cases, that request I use a different card to save them transaction fee money). Wouldn't have that issue with a Visa or MC.

With that said, there is a key benefit of EDP that Chase doesn't come close to matching: purchase-related insurance. Dealing with Chase's third party insurance company is typically a PIA, whereas I find claims very streamlined and generally trusted by default w/ Amex. So for big purchases, I still often feel more comfortable using my Amex cards.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mia
We don't avoid the annual fee with Chase Freedom Unlimited, we still need to have one premium Chase card to make the points transferable.
except if you already have CSP or Ink+ then you're getting "1.5 miles per $ spend" for "free". As I said before, I think EDP is still a nice card.

I just can't be arsed to deal with their 30 transaction stuff atm. I would also have to do some VGC shopping to reach that 6k limit, which I rather would not deal with atm.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:40 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mia
We don't avoid the annual fee with Chase Freedom Unlimited, we still need to have one premium Chase card to make the points transferable.
Originally Posted by runb4fun
except if you already have CSP or Ink+ then you're getting "1.5 miles per $ spend" for "free". .
It's not free, it's contingent on paying the fee for one of those other cards. This is a me too product from Chase, and being late to the game they have to try harder. They have, and we benefit. Thank you, Capital One .

...for me, the $95 EDP AF is an incremental additional charge.
If you want a completely free American Express solution that is almost as good you could do this:

• Downgrade Everyday Preferred to Everyday (free)
  • Apply for Blue for Business (free)
  • Use Everyday only at Supermarkets (2 points per dollar)
  • Use Blue for Business for all other American Express spending (1 point per dollar with a 30% annual bonus = 1.3 points per dollar.)

No annual fee, full ability to transfer all points to airline or hotel partners.
This only works if you keep both cards.

Last edited by mia; Mar 2, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:44 pm

since i usually get lunch at the deli in a grocery store, hitting 30 transactions per month is pretty easy... and since i always spend over $6000 at grocery stores in a year (on actual groceries), the $95 AF on the everyday preferred is worth it for the additional points, even if i never used it on everything else. i'm still excited for the freedom unlimited, though, since i like the option of being able to rack up either UR or MR with unbonused domestic spend as the mood suits me.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
If you want a completely free American Express solution that is almost as good you could do this:
  • Downgrade Everyday Preferred to Everyday (free)
  • Apply for Blue for Business (free)
  • Use Everyday only at Supermarkets (2 points per dollar)
  • Use Blue for Business for all other American Express spending (1 point per dollar with a 30% annual bonus = 1.3 points per dollar.)

No annual fee, full ability to transfer all points to airline or hotel partners.
This only works if you keep both cards.
Except if it's not hard work to get 20 with groceries alone, then Everyday at groceries becomes 2.4, and everything else on Everyday becomes 1.2. Which makes the trouble of getting and using the separate Blue for Business for an extra 0.1 points per dollar perhaps not worth it.

So I guess it depends on how many separate grocery visits you make in a month. I buy some things at Trader Joes (typically at least twice a week), some things at a mainstream grocery store (once or twice a week), and get take-out (if not other stuff) at Whole Foods or a local equivalent once or twice a week. You only need 5 a week to get to 20, and so it's not hard for me to get to 20 pretty "naturally" just with groceries.

So if I were using the card for anything else but groceries, but always for groceries, I would never fail to get to 20. And thus always 2.4% on groceries and 1.2% on everything else.

(In practice, there are months when I'm pushing minimum spend on a new card to the point where I'll shift even groceries to that new card, or quarters when I might get a 5% on another card for groceries, but for months where I don't shift groceries to a minimum spend on a new card or to a rotating categories card, the above tends to work for me.)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:33 am

Well, let's just say, then, that for those of us who don't actually buy much in the way of groceries (I'm at, maybe, $10/week?*), the EDP has lost a lot of its luster after the demise of the delightful $500 Visa gift cards .

*Single guy, no kids, no pets, eat meals at work during the week, often eat out / with friends on the weekend.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:35 am
Suspended

Well, let's just say, then, that for those of us who don't actually buy much in the way of groceries (I'm at, maybe, $10/week?*), the EDP has lost a lot of its luster after the demise of the delightful $500 Visa gift cards .

*Single guy, no kids, no pets, eat meals at work during the week, often eat out / with friends on the weekend.
That's me 2.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:41 pm

That's me 2.
That was me. Sigh.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a single guy, no kids, no pets, but I eat breakfast at home, I bring stuff to work to eat for lunch (because at my work there's no free food, and I can't earn miles buying something from a cash-only vending machine anyway). And some of my take out is from buffets / delis at grocery stores.

So now, obviously some people don't buy many groceries, but it takes more specific circumstances than just being single, not having kids, not having pets, and eating meals at work. (Like who doesn't eat lunch at work??? The question is not whether you eat meals at work, it's where you get those meals. Many workplaces provide refrigerators and many people bring in their lunch.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.