Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Didn't realize that it was not always complimentary for Plat cardholders.
IIRC this changed shortly before they announced the removal of Admirals Club access.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
doubt it

Originally Posted by beckoa
Didn't realize that it was not always complimentary for Plat cardholders. If they moved away at this point IMO it would be a large downgrade...

Still vote to build up another level (Or perhaps open one in another terminal?)
I doubt they would move in that direction at all at this point. there has been so much marketing, collateral produced and sent around, email blasts, "support of benefits and costs" papers that have come FROM AMEX to substantiate the value of the Platinum card, which is really where their bread and butter comes from. I doubt they would take this away or make it subject to availability or FIFO.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by gohima
I much preferred the LAS lounge where waitresses were getting drinks for people vs just being bus boys here.
On all three of my visits the staff have replaced my beverage when picking up glassware at SFO. I just asked nicely.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:13 pm

Headed there next week when flying in from San Diego. Any tips for a newbie to this? The only other Centurion Lounge that I've been to before was the one at LAS, which was really nice. I will be arriving on a Southwest Airlines flight, but will have a few hours before my hotel check-in, so I figured "why not?".

Traveling with family this time, so we'll see how that goes with a 3 year old and 3 month old in tow. Luckily, my wife will be there to help with the kiddos....

Sorry in advance if you don't like loud kids and will be there at the same time as me. My 3yo is very expressive...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Will you have trouble getting in? They only allow you to bring 2 guests, unless they don't count the 3 month old.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongl
Will you have trouble getting in?
Yes. Being that OP is arriving in a terminal other than 3 where the CL is located and does not have a connecting flight, they will not be able to clear the TSA checkpoint at T3 in order to get to the lounge.

Only T3 arrivals, or anyone with a same day SFO departure will be able to get into the sterile area to access the CL. OP, perhaps you can try it on your way out?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:03 pm

Will you have trouble getting in? They only allow you to bring 2 guests, unless they don't count the 3 month old.
He should be fine, as they allow two guests or your immediate family (spouse and kids under 18).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Centurion Members and Platinum Card Members who receive complimentary access may enter with up to two guests or your immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, and children under 18) at no additional charge.

There is a family room for kids. It seems somewhat soundproof.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
very soundproof ^
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the fact that they have a jail for the kids. This is the best feature ever.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes. Being that OP is arriving in a terminal other than 3 where the CL is located and does not have a connecting flight, they will not be able to clear the TSA checkpoint at T3 in order to get to the lounge.

Only T3 arrivals, or anyone with a same day SFO departure will be able to get into the sterile area to access the CL. OP, perhaps you can try it on your way out?
Good point. We will see what happens. I was talking with the wife about this a while ago, since we will likely have one or two checked bags arriving with us. TSA wouldn't let me in if I am visiting the lounge only?

Definitely plan on going there on the way out, since my FHR hotel checkout is at 4pm and flight isn't until 7pm.

Wife has a platinum card as well, so it shouldn't be a problem to get us in either way.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trinifawk
Good point. We will see what happens. I was talking with the wife about this a while ago, since we will likely have one or two checked bags arriving with us. TSA wouldn't let me in if I am visiting the lounge only?

Definitely plan on going there on the way out, since my FHR hotel checkout is at 4pm and flight isn't until 7pm.

Wife has a platinum card as well, so it shouldn't be a problem to get us in either way.
It's very unlikely you'd be allowed through the TSA checkpoint with no same day departure from SFO. The issue is you're going to have to present a BP to get through, and as soon as they see your departure airport is SAN rather than SFO they will likely turn you away. The automatic BP scanner will almost certainly catch it if the TSA employee does not.

Perhaps you could confer with Amex beforehand about the possibility of getting a gate pass to use the lounge on that day?

Of course there's always the refundable ticket method wherein you purchase a fully refundable ticket on UA, print your BP to clear security and get to the lounge where you proceed to immediately cancel and refund the ticket. This is against the terms and conditions but doing it once or twice I doubt would raise any questions.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cmd320
Perhaps you could confer with Amex beforehand about the possibility of getting a gate pass to use the lounge on that day?
I don't think AMEX can even issue a gate pass.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
I don't think AMEX can even issue a gate pass.
I recall reading somewhere on one of the Centurion Lounge pages that it was possible. I'll try to find it again and post a link.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:37 pm

I called Amex and received a surprisingly clueless concierge who knew nothing of the Centurion Lounge and kept insisting that it was for Centurion card holders only :\. After looking it up (at my insistence), and insisting that I wouldn't have to leave and re-enter through security, she called the Centurion Lounge and asked them. Centurion Lounge told her that access to that terminal is controlled by TSA and there was nothing they could do...

So either we'll take the BART and try to check in early at the hotel, or hang out at the USO for a while then check in.

We'll definitely look forward to hanging out at the Centurion Lounge on our way back to San Diego.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.