Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I managed to have a chance to visit there.

There were too many people for the space, it was not really relaxing.

Food was so-so. Wine tasting is very popular but I am not a wine drinker, so did not participate in it.

An elderly couple picking up food were not impressive at all. They did not want to use the wooden spoon provided for rice and were using metal spoons provided for the other food - slow-cooked pork, sauted mushrooms, etc. They returned the spoons with rice to each food try, so they were "contaminated" with white rice.

I am somewhat disappointed, my expectation might have been too high...
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:49 pm

I'm flying JetBlue from SFO - JFK tomorrow morning, departing at 6:55am. Can I access the lounge? I'm unfamiliar with the airport outside of the AA terminal area. Will I have to clear security more than once? Prior posts seem to show it works for those flying out of terminals that aren't International A.

Just double checking. I'm planning on getting to the airport early to check it out but see no reason if I can't access it. Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DylanOakes
Can I access the lounge?
Will I have to clear security more than once?
Yes and yes.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes and yes.
Perfect, thank you. For how many times I've been through SFO, I know nothing about the rest of the airport outside the AA concourse and the train link to BART.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:43 pm

Dragged family to the lounge sat after NY even though we were flying AA. The pork dish was really tender, not dry like someone else complained here. Food variety was limited, only three hot dishes: pork, pumpkin, and mushroom. There was a squid/barley salad and I think another leafy salad. It was sufficient for a simple meal. Wine tasting was fun but I don't drink much so can't tell how good the wine was. We had precheck so took only a couple of minutes to clear security since no one was in line. Guard commented something like "oh, you are here to use the lounge". only took 5 min to walk to AA terminal. No need to go on air train again. Cleared aa security in a minute too.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:31 pm

at the lounges right now and I can testify that the pork was tender and juicy. Definitely going back for seconds.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:38 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The placement of the two 2-tops RIGHT IN FRONT of the wine wall is a poor design choice. It's impossible access the wine if there is another person there along with people are seated at the tables. I had a back pack on - as there was no space to sit - so I figured I would try some wine while I had to stand I was struggling not to hit someone and get some wine. Frustrating.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:51 pm

soooo. anyone here now?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
soooo. anyone here now?
A little late but I'm here right now for about another half an hour
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I managed to have a chance to visit there.

There were too many people for the space, it was not really relaxing.

Food was so-so. Wine tasting is very popular but I am not a wine drinker, so did not participate in it.

An elderly couple picking up food were not impressive at all. They did not want to use the wooden spoon provided for rice and were using metal spoons provided for the other food - slow-cooked pork, sauted mushrooms, etc. They returned the spoons with rice to each food try, so they were "contaminated" with white rice.

I am somewhat disappointed, my expectation might have been too high...

I had a very similar sentiment on my first visit and it was on a Wednesday no less. I can't imagine how crowded this place must be on a more busy day. Not sure how AMEX goes about trying to calculate foot traffic before they open one of these, but they missed the mark this time for the size of the space they got.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by adambadam
I had a very similar sentiment on my first visit and it was on a Wednesday no less. I can't imagine how crowded this place must be on a more busy day. Not sure how AMEX goes about trying to calculate foot traffic before they open one of these, but they missed the mark this time for the size of the space they got.
It does seem like they underestimated demand for a lounge that offers a better product than the airline lounges. But DFW should have been good market data. Maybe SFO also has more delays, more O/D traffic, and more premium cardholders.

And maybe Amex is giving away more than they intended to. When LAS first opened it was only for Centurion members, and some Platinum members got one-time passes. They may plan to return to a model what Platinum cardholders get a limited number of passes and have to pay for additional visits.

I do appreciate the superior product as compared to a United Club, DL Skyclub or Admirals Club.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by seacarl
Maybe SFO also has more delays, more O/D traffic, and more premium cardholders.
This is likely the big differentiator. DFW is largely connections and most are going through terminals other than D. Those on typical 60-90 minute connections likely don't have the desire to ride around to D just to have 20-30 minutes in the Centurion Lounge.

Higher O/D at SFO likely contributes to the lounge's high crowding. I was there in the morning a few weeks ago at about 730 and it was busy, but not really crowded. It was also NYE so I imagine it was a pretty light travel day. I can easily see how on a more typical day at a busy time period it could get packed. I'm no engineer, but it would be cool if they could somehow add another floor vertically out the top of the building with views all around to help add more seating space. Or perhaps open another lounge on the T1/2 side.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It does seem like they underestimated demand for a lounge that offers a better product than the airline lounges. But DFW should have been good market data. Maybe SFO also has more delays, more O/D traffic, and more premium cardholders.
And it is conveniently placed in a terminal where the dominant airline has a lounge not worth the price of admission.

By the way, prior to the breakfast menu hours, what might be available in the snackiecake department?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
And maybe Amex is giving away more than they intended to. When LAS first opened it was only for Centurion members, and some Platinum members got one-time passes. They may plan to return to a model what Platinum cardholders get a limited number of passes and have to pay for additional visits.
Didn't realize that it was not always complimentary for Plat cardholders. If they moved away at this point IMO it would be a large downgrade...

Still vote to build up another level (Or perhaps open one in another terminal?)
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:55 am
formerly gohima

Been to the SFO lounge twice, once where it was packed to the gills due to the JPM conference and once when it was not. Regardless of size, the food was limited in choices, the place is SMALL and overall just okay. I much preferred the LAS lounge where waitresses were getting drinks for people vs just being bus boys here.

Additionally, I had my first experience being carded for a drink at an airport by the bartender who had already previously served me once that day and twice the week before

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.