Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Almost everyone can eat it; many people choose not to.
Originally Posted by JohnRain
If lounges were to adopt your logic, they wouldn't offer much except for still water. Some people are diabetic, others are gluten- or lactose-intolerant, others still are vegetarians or vegans and some choose not to eat pork for religious or other reasons. Why would you be upset by a certain food offering? Just eat whatever you like and grant this exact same right to others who may have different tastes from yours.

Free country, free choice.
This.

On a related note, this thread is making me thirsty for the cocktails at the LGA club I'll be visiting again in a couple weeks.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Hey cousin.

I believe they are technically correct. Many airport authorities do not allow competing services between concessionaires and private enterprise clubs. Even at Denver, the soda vending machines are disabled during most of the business day due to an agreement with restaurants selling bottled sodas that would be in competition with the vending machine providers.

As far as the UA club letting people take coffee out - that may be happening but it could very well be in violation of the lease agreement. By the same token, I don't expect UA to put a "coffee monitor" at the door to stop you from removing a tiny cup of coffee.

I would also venture to say the airlines have more clout with the airport.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I posted my review in the United thread, but I have to say I thought the pork was great -- not too salty at all.

Here are my pictures of the lounge. (blog)

It's actually much smaller than I expected. I trust that it won't be packed soon.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Actually, I think it just means that airline lounge coffee will in no way steal business from the terminal establishments!! UA and AA coffee is nasty!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
I have seem similar years back when airports had "exclusive" wifi provider agreements. I know skyclub got in a pissing match at least in one place about their inability to provide their members wifi.

In his particular case, the likely issue was "paper cups were not available". Not an ability to escape with the goods or not.

Last edited by johndoe123; Nov 14, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:45 am

I visited this club on 11/11/2014.

Courtesy staff, great food, clean showers, brand new large screen imacs, fast wifi.

A private (non-affiliated) lounge without the crappy "contract" lounge feel. It really was a step above and compared well to many European lounges, if not in size, but in services and amenities.

I really hope this is a sign of things to come. Add Denver, Chicago, and other large airports not serviced by their long-term partner (Delta) and this program will be a win.

One problem they will have though is since they are not airline affiliated, they can't just build the club by the gates. Their success at a particular airport relies upon:

1) Airport layout being conducive to passengers of all airlines obtaining access. This means if security is divided between terminals and access is not available between terminals air-side, they must place the lounge before security. This is not as ideal. They can't just place it by their gates like the airline affiliated clubs do.

2) Ability to lease space directly after clearing a central security area, and before venturing off to any particular airlines gates. Who wants to walk across the airport?

In certain cases, airports with separate international terminals where you enter on the street to go to a separate building will also be a challenge. However, priority pass typically offers something in many of these cases.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
The wine selections are clearly solid, though for the cocktail menu. While I love PDT in NY, Jim Meehan clearly isn't a local. Nobody calls it it "Frisco." *twitch*

I seriously hope they replace the cocktail menu with something locally crafted.
The "Frisco" is a cocktail from the mid-1800s with local origins, so while you may not like the name, it makes perfect sense and is a delicious cocktail highlighting a delicious local whiskey.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by odiedog52
The "Frisco" is a cocktail from the mid-1800s with local origins, so while you may not like the name, it makes perfect sense and is a delicious cocktail highlighting a delicious local whiskey.
Great first post. I respect someone who comes out of lurking to defend the sanctity of an alcoholic beverage.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:09 pm

Great first post. I respect someone who comes out of lurking to defend the sanctity of an alcoholic beverage.
Don't mind meee...

Last edited by odiedog52; Nov 14, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I meant no sarcasm whatsoever. Sorry if it came across that way. Seriously, great first post. I learned something about a subject that I care about, that I probably would not have learned otherwise.

I am going to try this cocktail now...
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:47 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... I learned something ...
As did I .
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:51 pm

I meant no sarcasm whatsoever. Sorry if it came across that way. Seriously, great first post. I learned something about a subject that I care about, that I probably would not have learned otherwise.

I am going to try this cocktail now...
Wow. I missed the mark on that one pretty seriously. Looking back at your post, I can't quite figure out why I read it the way I did, but wow.

My apologies.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's all good; tone can be hard to interpret in email / forum posts.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:27 pm

Oh, and for what it's worth … I was really impressed by the lounge. We had a more intimate and formal look of it before it opened, but it is really well done. A bit small, but they make up for it with the food, a great backbar, great wine, etc.

I felt a bit weird going into it thinking we'd be served up really fancy food that Chef Kostow is famous for (which I'm fine with) but it wouldn't represent the food that would actually be served in the lounge. Well, we were served the same exact food that is on the menu and it was all really quite nice.

Aside from that, a massive selection of Napa Valley wine available by the glass, great spirits, good beer … and so much of it is local. The location can make it tricky in regards to security, but if you're at least TSA Pre-Check, maybe that can make it all a tad bit smoother.

This, of course, is all dependent on it calming down a bit once that buzz dies down of the new launch. It will be interesting to see if this starts pulling people out of airline lounges. I guess I couldn't see people who were, for instance, United Gold (and an AMEX cardholder but not Centurion/Platinum), paying $50 to get into here, but hopefully it makes other lounges want to step up their game.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:03 am

Nice lounge, very "Virgin Atlanticish..." At 6am on a Saturday there were a few people in but I can see how it can get overcrowded quickly. There aren't that many places to sit. Staff is very welcoming and the breakfast food interesting. The "omelette" is a square blob of something. I assume egg but might be wrong. Good cereals and the bar area is inviting. I'm intrigued by the wine wall but not at 6am

Not the most convenient location but manageable with the right schedule. I'm going out of 68 which seems to be a bit of a walk from where the lounge is at 74

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.