Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Call again, it sounds like the AAgent you spoke to was confused.

Yes some seats on those aircraft have fixed armrests, but not the seats you chose.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Very few of the arm rests are fixed other than bulkhead or some exit rows. The agent you got was clueless or misunderstood what you were asking.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Why don't you fly business or first class to Hawaii? Those seats are wider and are roughly 2x the price anyways.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Why don't you fly business or first class to Hawaii? Those seats are wider and are roughly 2x the price anyways.
OP presumably wants to sit next to his wife, but depending on the relative pricing it might not be a bad option to buy 2 F seats (especially if OP plans on checking bags or needs to pay extra to get all 3 coach seats together).
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Wider, but probably not wide enough for comfort and virtually all of them have fixed armrests so no option to just share the space between them.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by JakeG
When she returned to the line she told me that all armrests on the three planes are fixed except some of the armrests on the aisle.
Either you mis-heard the agent or the agent is totally uninformed. Some of the aisle armrests can be raised, while the rest of the aisle armrests are fixed. However, all of the middle armrests can be raised (except in the bulkhead row(s) where the tray table is in the armrest).

You can find more information in this thread: <removed circular link post merge>

And in this link from AA.com: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...jsp#extraspace

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 8, 2016 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
OP presumably wants to sit next to his wife, but depending on the relative pricing it might not be a bad option to buy 2 F seats (especially if OP plans on checking bags or needs to pay extra to get all 3 coach seats together).
I would suggest this is not a great idea on the 763. It will have the old NGBC angle flat seats, which are only 1.3 inches wider than the coach seats. They are comfortable for lounging, but not for people who need width. Two coach seats will be better.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:24 am

Thank you all so much. This is a huge relief.

Now I just need to call back and see if they can revert my cancellation and add the extra middle seats.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by JakeG
Thank you all so much. This is a huge relief.

Now I just need to call back and see if they can revert my cancellation and add the extra middle seats.
Good luck! and welcome to Flyertalk
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Aanytime award for extra seat in case i am not upgraded?

I have a long flight in coach, and would like to get work done. It's much easier to do so in first class, or in coach with the middle seat next to me empty.

Seems like a reasonable strategy would be to use AA miles to book an "extra seat," and then refund the seat if I am upgraded. I"m EXP so no redeposit fees, etc.

Would AA have any issue with this? To be clear, if i'm not upgraded, I would indeed use the miles for the seat.

Mods: Please merge if I missed a thread on this somewhere...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Shawn02139
Would AA have any issue with this?
I just realized that you're talking about using miles to essentially "block" the middle seat next to you in coach, right? In that case, I'm pretty sure "XTRA SEAT" bookings have to be on the same PNR as you.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
1. If you have two bookings on the same flight with your name on it, one will be canceled automatically by AA's computer system.

2. If you make a habit of doing this AA could revoke all your FF miles for fictitious bookings (violation of AAdvantage TOS). There's a big long thread about it somewhere on this forum.

If you do it once, YMMV but I wouldn't take the risk.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:12 pm

I think almost all Flytertalk members would think this is morally wrong. I knew a AA Concierge Key who lost everything for phantom bookings in the F cabin. You do not want to mess with an airlines inventory. When you think about it it is theft as the value of a airlines product expires when the plane leaves the gate. So it is theft.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Centurion
I think almost all Flytertalk members would think this is morally wrong. I knew a AA Concierge Key who lost everything for phantom bookings in the F cabin. You do not want to mess with an airlines inventory. When you think about it it is theft as the value of a airlines product expires when the plane leaves the gate. So it is theft.
I would not want to presume any negative intentions, but AA definitely frowns on speculative bookings, especially bookings that might be released (and possibly left unsold) at the last minute. Ultimately, AA is the judge, jury, and executioner on this issue, so it's best to tread carefully.

As mentioned above, AA has an officially sanctioned way to book additional adjacent seats using either miles or money (for both, under the same PNR), if the OP is willing to do that.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
OK, useful to know that the extra seat has to be on the same PNR, which i won't be able to do.

I don't think this is a phantom booking, or theft, because if i'm not upgraded, i would indeed spend the miles to keep the seat next to me. Only wouldn't need it if I were upgraded (and i guess once award tickets are upgradable for EXPs, could do the extra seat thing and bring along an empty seat in first, for that true private jet experience).

And i'm not sure AA 'Frowns" on bookings that might be released; : that's why they sell fully refundable tickets. Plans change, even at the last minute.

Of course, if many people made a habit of this, AA might no longer waive the teh redeposit fees for EXP, which would be a bummer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.