Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold
I got it thanks so much!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shayflyer11
So if I book an extra seat for my comfort in another name and I call them, how do I know they wont give my extra seat away bc i didn't check in with the other boarding pass?
If you don't check in with the other boarding pass they will give away your extra seat. If you do check in with the other boarding pass then they won't give away your extra seat. Not that complicated. @:-)
But for an international flight, I would call AA to book the extra seat.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:22 pm

wait, so I shouldn't call to book an extra seat on a domestic flight and they wont give away my seat if i check in but they dont scan the boarding pass at the gate?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
wait, so I shouldn't call to book an extra seat on a domestic flight and they wont give away my seat if i check in but they dont scan the boarding pass at the gate?
We have merged your query into the existing thread on this topic. Please read the Wikipost at the top of he page.

In part, it stipulates

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles under any circumstance. EQ Miles can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
We have merged your query into the existing thread on this topic. Please read the Wikipost at the top of he page.

In part, it stipulates
thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they don't scan the extra seat boarding pass, then they might give away the seat. Not sure I understand why this is so complicated.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok let me clarify - for domestic you can book online, it's easier. For Int'l I would call, because they can/should exclude certain taxes/fees from the extra seat (minimal if any for domestic) and you may have trouble checking in the second seat, which won't have a passport. Calling to book will ensure the reservation is booked properly. For domestic, it's less critical.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Ok let me clarify - for domestic you can book online, it's easier. For Int'l I would call, because they can/should exclude certain taxes/fees from the extra seat (minimal if any for domestic) and you may have trouble checking in the second seat, which won't have a passport. Calling to book will ensure the reservation is booked properly. For domestic, it's less critical.
You should call in to do this for either domestic or international.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even on domestic, the extra seat might not need to pay certain fees, such as those for security and airport facilities.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably $5-10 on domestic so not worth the hassle of calling for me.

I've booked these handfuls of times online with no issue. Mostly DL and B6 (the latter gives explicit instructions how to book online). But now that I remember, one was on an AA award JFK-FCO and there was actually no issue there either.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Boxes riding in first class seats

Flying BOS-MIA last weekend I saw something that I had never seen before. The man flying in an aisle seat in first class also purchased the aisle and window seats next to him for one cardboard box each, each of which were strapped in securely by the seat belts.
The good news is that despite 2 of the 16 first class seats being for boxes, my wife and I still got the gate upgrades.^
I was wondering if this is a truly rare occurrence, or if the FT veterans here have encountered this sort of thing.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:24 am

Of course it's rare, but not unheard of for items of extraordinary value:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nstrument.html
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:27 am

From the label on the boxes, they contained a skin graft product for burn victims.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dickinson
From the label on the boxes, they contained a skin graft product for burn victims.
Well, there ya have it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I have seen a vacant adjacent seat used for objects of extraordinary value, (e.g. musical instruments and works of art) and for human tissue for therapeutic transplant.

I have also carried in a diplomatic bag in an adjacent seat (normally unclassified bags go in the hold, but classified bags stay with the courier. Classified bags that are larger than carry on (extremely unusual) will get their own seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.