Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EP
No. AAdvantage members must be a person.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
From the AA website:

Exceptions
There are certain airline ticket types that are not eligible for mileage accrual regardless of the booking class. These include, without limitation, the following:

All tickets issued as AAdvantage awards
Other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets
Companion tickets
Charter flight tickets
Travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets
Infant tickets
Items occupying a purchased seat
Unpublished fare tickets, including consolidator fares
Tickets issued subject to special provisions
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I guess if they have written policies, then that's that. Sure seems kind of wrong not to award miles, if someone is paying an extra ticket that costs the same as the person's own ticket... oh well.

Are there other U.S. airlines that give miles to musical instruments that occupies a paid seat?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A guy with a cello tried it on Delta. Got away with it for a while, then had both accounts cancelled and miles confiscated.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...58390459673484

But American Airlines and Delta both say miles accumulate one time per flight, regardless of the number of seats purchased, and only a person can have a frequent-flier account.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum
What, you get no Frequent Fiddler Miles? :-)

I'll show myself out.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by gizmo78
What, you get no Frequent Fiddler Miles? :-)

I'll show myself out.
yes... it will be based on the distance traveled by the violin bow on the strings.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
I think the elephant in this topic is why she is buying a seat for her violin to begin with. Federal law allows for a musical instrument to go in the overhead bin as your carry on as long as there is space when you board and it fits. I don't think there is an overhead bin out there (even on a Dash-8) that a violin wouldn't fit in. Make sure your daughter knows about this and stops wasting the money on an extra seat!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by thecurtisw
I think the elephant in this topic is why she is buying a seat for her violin to begin with. Federal law allows for a musical instrument to go in the overhead bin as your carry on as long as there is space when you board and it fits. I don't think there is an overhead bin out there (even on a Dash-8) that a violin wouldn't fit in. Make sure your daughter knows about this and stops wasting the money on an extra seat!
have you seen how people try to overstuff the overhead bins?

BTW, she my niece, not my daughter. I did not have an affair with my sister-in-law, to the best of my knowledge.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
This is actually common practice. Overhead bins can fill up. For a delicate parcel that costs more than a lot of houses, buying a seat is peanuts.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:53 am
Community Director Emerita

Make sure your daughter knows about this and stops wasting the money on an extra seat!
It's a $280K instrument. I'd want line of sight with it at all times. I wouldn't put valuable jewelry in the overhead, and I wouldn't put a valuable instrument there. Also, have you seen things drop from the overhead? I have, I was hit with an item once. The violin is too valuable to risk.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Not only does the value of the violin justify the cost of another seat, having it next to her effectively gives her more space and a less sardine-like experience traveling in coach.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
See Alaska Airlines policy, including allowing mileage credit (but not elite qualification) for a "comfort seat"
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/comfort-seat.aspx
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by stephem
See Alaska Airlines policy, including allowing mileage credit (but not elite qualification) for a "comfort seat"
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...fort-seat.aspx
At least for a short while, flying AS earns as if flying AA - but not as of 1/1/2016.

As a side note, cellist Mstislav Rostropovich flew back and forth JFK-CDG regularly, with his cello occupying the seat adjacent to him, on the AF Concorde.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by weltfrieden

BTW, she my niece, not my daughter. I did not have an affair with my sister-in-law, to the best of my knowledge.
There's a lot of stuff I did when I was drunk that I can't remember!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by creampuff
There's a lot of stuff I did when I was drunk that I can't remember!
let sleeping dogs lie....

if awaken, lie anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.