Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:54 am
jmw

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Huh? So you pay for it and then you get your money back?!? Why wouldn't everyone do that?
Because you actually have to be a COS when they print your boarding pass. If you can fit in one seat, they will take away the second seat. Also, the refund process at WN often takes two to three months for this type of ticket. If the plane is not full, just ask the check-in agent for the second seat for free so you don't tie up your credit card for months.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:15 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Buying 2 seats...

Recently Ive started purchasing an extra seat on my flights, due to non upgrades. It's the worst I've seen it and I'm just done playing the upgrade game.
I now either buy First class or an extra seat, whichever is cheaper. My question is...what happens if I do get an upgrade when I have bought an extra seat? Can I apply for refund on one? Hasn't happened yet, but just posing the question.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by IMStill4Travel
Recently Ive started purchasing an extra seat on my flights, due to non upgrades. It's the worst I've seen it and I'm just done playing the upgrade game.
I now either buy First class or an extra seat, whichever is cheaper. My question is...what happens if I do get an upgrade when I have bought an extra seat? Can I apply for refund on one? Hasn't happened yet, but just posing the question.
To me the answer is simple. Is this a refundable fare, then you cancel ticket and go for refund. If it is not a refundable fare, you are stuck with the charge. As for the airline, if there are passengers on standby, they will clear and have a seat. what has been the scenario when you have flown with XTRASEATforIMStill4Travel? do you have an empty seat next to you? Personally, unless you are POS and need the extra space, might as well buy up to BUS/FIRST and enjoy the extra miles that come with it. The cost is not that much more than 2 tickets and you get the extra EQD, RDM & EQMs, as opposed to not earning anything for XTRASEATforIMStill4Travel.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IMStill4Travel
Don't have an answer for you but i wanted to know if you can check are you getting EQD for the Xtra seat? I know you don't get miles.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
While YYMV, I find AA Business/First nonrefundable fares typically a few hundred $ more than economy for most every domestic, Caribbean and Mexico itinerary I have ever searched.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arollins
The cost is not that much more than 2 tickets and you get the extra EQD, RDM & EQMs, as opposed to not earning anything for XTRASEATforIMStill4Travel.
The cost can be, and often is, significantly more expensive for first class.
When you've got two passengers, the cost of buying 3 coach seats is almost always significantly less expensive than 2 FC seats, although I realize that's not the OP's situation. But I do this often.

As for getting the refund if an upgrade clears, it's frankly not something I've really contemplated, mainly because I've mostly done this on airlines where I either have no status (DL) or there is no FC (B6).

I think that if you book the extra seat online yourself, there's probably no way to get a refund. If you call AA to book, there are potentially additional benefits -- they should be able to remove any passenger facility charges from the extra seat, and I think they can ensure the second seat costs the same as the first, even if you got the last seat available in a particular inventory bucket. And possibly they could flag the extra seat as refundable if an upgrade clears.
And then there's the question of whether they'll do this for any passenger or only those that qualify as a customer of size*.

I don't know if they waive the phone fee for any of this, but perhaps it's at least worth calling, and having them document the PNR as appropriate.

* Personally, I don't think AA's definition (if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required) is appropriately encompassing. What about a 6'+++ passenger who doesn't need a seatbelt extender, but needs to spread his knees into the adjacent seat area? -- which is often the case with my companion.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:28 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The cost can be, and often is, significantly more expensive for first class.
When you've got two passengers, the cost of buying 3 coach seats is almost always significantly less expensive than 2 FC seats, although I realize that's not the OP's situation. But I do this often.

As for getting the refund if an upgrade clears, it's frankly not something I've really contemplated, mainly because I've mostly done this on airlines where I either have no status (DL) or there is no FC (B6).

I think that if you book the extra seat online yourself, there's probably no way to get a refund. If you call AA to book, there are potentially additional benefits -- they should be able to remove any passenger facility charges from the extra seat, and I think they can ensure the second seat costs the same as the first, even if you got the last seat available in a particular inventory bucket. And possibly they could flag the extra seat as refundable if an upgrade clears.
And then there's the question of whether they'll do this for any passenger or only those that qualify as a customer of size*.

I don't know if they waive the phone fee for any of this, but perhaps it's at least worth calling, and having them document the PNR as appropriate.

* Personally, I don't think AA's definition (if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required) is appropriately encompassing. What about a 6'+++ passenger who doesn't need a seatbelt extender, but needs to spread his knees into the adjacent seat area? -- which is often the case with my companion.
Correct...for my next 3 round trips...cost was 1100 vs 1800 2 seats/F seat. I'm a bodybuilder, so shoulders and back width are the issue...34 inch waist. Still I'm a person of size. I'll report back on what I receive as far as miles and if I should happen to get the upgrade and apply for refund, the results.
I'm also seriously considering becoming a free agent and just buying the cheapest F ticket on any carrier that works time wise for me, after all these years on AA (have the 3M+ and lifetime Plat anyway).
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold
Can I book a flight for myself and buy 2 seats and get eqms (and get away with it)

So, basically I am flying to Jakarta from New York on a mile run (I would earn 20k eqms) and want to see if I could buy 2 seats next to each other for my comfort and get eqms for both?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Nope.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:02 pm

Why Not?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shayflyer11
Why Not?
You're not allowed to earn miles for a seat booked for the purposes on having extra space (there's a specific process for that) and you're not allowed to book/fly on an additional seat in your own name or the name of anyone else who's not actually flying.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Pretty sure AA system is unable to credit accounts for the same transaction twice and it would be caught if tried to request missing mileage later and simply denied.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:13 pm

So if I book an extra seat for my comfort in another name and I call them, how do I know they wont give my extra seat away bc i didn't check in with the other boarding pass?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I believe you have to call rez and book comfort seat next to you and they block it. If you pay for the extra seat you can have the extra seat, it just won't earn miles as it is the same flight you are already earning miles for.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shayflyer11
So if I book an extra seat for my comfort in another name and I call them, how do I know they wont give my extra seat away bc i didn't check in with the other boarding pass?
You don't book it in "another name" it gets booked as name/EXST with additional notes ("extra seat for privacy") so that the seat stays with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.