Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
I don't think this is a phantom booking, or theft, because if i'm not upgraded, i would indeed spend the miles to keep the seat next to me. Only wouldn't need it if I were upgraded (and i guess once award tickets are upgradable for EXPs, could do the extra seat thing and bring along an empty seat in first, for that true private jet experience).
I agree it's not quite as black-and-white as some are suggesting. In a parallel example, if you paid cash for a refundable Y ticket plus an empty adjacent seat on the same PNR (which is 100% permitted), and eventually got an upgrade, could you refund the second seat? Is there company policy on this? Seems like it must happen on occasion with passengers of size.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
I just realized that you're talking about using miles to essentially "block" the middle seat next to you in coach, right? In that case, I'm pretty sure "XTRA SEAT" bookings have to be on the same PNR as you.
Can anyone confirm that the "XTRA SEAT [LAST NAME]" must be on the same PNR?

I did this a few times several years ago where work paid for my seat in coach and I bought (being totally open with the agent helping me) the seat next to me using miles to get myself a little extra space on some long flights.

Is that no longer possible?

If so, that's quite a bummer. In part, because typically I only care about or want the extra seat on the long overnight leg within a multi-leg itinerary.

Last edited by BlatheringPenguin; Dec 31, 2016 at 3:07 pm Reason: additional comment
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rjw242
I agree it's not quite as black-and-white as some are suggesting. In a parallel example, if you paid cash for a refundable Y ticket plus an empty adjacent seat on the same PNR (which is 100% permitted), and eventually got an upgrade, could you refund the second seat? Is there company policy on this? Seems like it must happen on occasion with passengers of size.
I would doubt it. You took away a seat from sale. Why would they now allow you to refund it? Of course could book at refundable rate, but that wouldn't be cheap. I would figure they might just block the upgrade instead as it would basically be seen as a two passenger PNR. BTW In a lot oof case two Y seats would be more expensive then buying F outright.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see any (moral) problem with booking a refundable ticket (award or paid) as an extra seat and then refunding if the original seat upgrade clears.

I also can't imagine that an XTRASEAT has to be in the same PNR. What does AA do when a passenger requiring an extra seat (due to size) calls up to add that on to an existing booking?

And what does AA say when that pax says he needs an extra coach seat but only if his upgrade doesn't clear? They'll probably sell him a refundable ticket. And actually, FWIW, I believe Southwest's policy is to sell the extra seat at the same price as the original ticket, and refund the cost if the plane does not go out full.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
people can book seats for their musical instruments, so just book a seat and say its for your guitar.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
people can book seats for their musical instruments, so just book a seat and say its for your guitar.
Not a great idea ; if wanting a seat adjacent kept empty as an extra seat, needs to be booked as per the airline's requirements for such a seat. If wanting a seat for extra space, AA sells it at same price as original seat

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...jsp#extraspace
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't see any (moral) problem with booking a refundable ticket (award or paid) as an extra seat and then refunding if the original seat upgrade clears.

I also can't imagine that an XTRASEAT has to be in the same PNR. What does AA do when a passenger requiring an extra seat (due to size) calls up to add that on to an existing booking?

And what does AA say when that pax says he needs an extra coach seat but only if his upgrade doesn't clear? They'll probably sell him a refundable ticket. And actually, FWIW, I believe Southwest's policy is to sell the extra seat at the same price as the original ticket, and refund the cost if the plane does not go out full.
It certainly used to be that the XTRASEAT didn't have to be on the same PNR as I several times booked a mileage XTRASEAT to go with my paid coach seat.

However, it seems the rules possibly changed at some point as the agents I've talked to recently have said they are only able to offer rebooking my original ticket entirely and paying for the XTRASEAT to be on the same PNR (so no combining mileage award for XTRASEAT with paid coach for person.).

Would like to figure out if this is really a rule change, or if I need to refer the agent to some specific policy to clear things up and get a mileage XTRASEAT....
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
However, it seems the rules possibly changed at some point as the agents I've talked to recently have said they are only able to offer rebooking my original ticket entirely and paying for the XTRASEAT to be on the same PNR (so no combining mileage award for XTRASEAT with paid coach for person.).

Would like to figure out if this is really a rule change, or if I need to refer the agent to some specific policy to clear things up and get a mileage XTRASEAT....
Hmm-interesting, so they'd rather refund the ticket and rebook just to force the extra seat on the same PNR? Seems like unnecessary extra work, but perhaps this also helps ensure the seats remain together during an equipment sub/irrops. (Not that pax on the same PNR have ever been separated!)
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:03 pm

You are asking for trouble beyond what you expect. Just by the F ticket or say goodbye to your AAdvantage account.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Centurion
You are asking for trouble beyond what you expect. Just by the F ticket or say goodbye to your AAdvantage account.
Nope.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Passengers of size/what is the criteria for second seat?

I had always thought that for a passenger of size (POS) the test as to when they intrude unacceptably into other space is when the armrest cannot be lowered. However, looking at the AA website today, I see a different rule:

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required.
. (link

Again that seems inconsistent with how I understood, and also intrusive in a coach seat if the neighbor can encroach up to 1" into the neighboring seat especially when the published seat width is 18".

Is anyone able to confirm if the website is a new policy or if I just had it wrong? And does the FA manual say anything different than the website?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

I don't think that language on AA.com is new, other than that, I personally can't tell what you're actually asking-- it seems to depend on your understanding vs. something else, can't really tell.

Here's a thread with some discussion, etc:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-xtraseat.html
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
To put it succinctly, when can I insist an oversized PAX neighbor be relocated?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Southwest refunds the second seat now even if the plane is overbooked.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
Southwest refunds the second seat now even if the plane is overbooked.
Huh? So you pay for it and then you get your money back?!? Why wouldn't everyone do that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.