Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
i assume if i call aa to book the 2nd seat for an instrument, it won't be at the $108 roundtrip price like my own ticket?
Why do you assume that?
Old May 26, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Why do you assume that?
based on the thread that the above poster linked to
Old May 26, 2017, 2:01 pm

Just don't book a ticket in the name of Viola
Old May 26, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
You can try if one of AAs partners like BA or QF offer this fare as well, and book with them. AA won't be able to see the duplicate booking and cannot cancel tickets on partner stock.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

based on the thread that the above poster linked to
In the wiki of that thread it states

•When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.

seems to suggest that the same fare would apply

Originally Posted by bhomburg
You can try if one of AAs partners like BA or QF offer this fare as well, and book with them. AA won't be able to see the duplicate booking and cannot cancel tickets on partner stock.
Definitely not a good idea if wanting to get the 2 adjacent seats
Old May 26, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Book a seat without your AAdvantage number and use a different email and phone number if you really can't call. Can't you step out to the restroom and do it?
Old May 26, 2017, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

saw ORD-LAX $108 roundtrip... how do I book a 2nd seat at that price for viola?

hard to search for it on my mobile and I'm in a labour meeting right now. (pretending to be looking up work stuff ) Meeting doesn't end for another 3 hours and I don't want to miss that $108 roundtrip price.

Can I just book the 2nd seat with "musical instrument" as the name of the pax?

thank you!
Buy two tickets,one for Walter Musician, the other for Xtraseat Musician. Or put them on hold.

Call AA when your meeting is over to sort it out. You should have 24 hours to cancel a res unless it's within a week of the flight.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerguy1975
Book a seat without your AAdvantage number and use a different email and phone number if you really can't call. Can't you step out to the restroom and do it?
Based on OP's comments, should be out of meeting in 20 mins, so could just wait and call
Old May 26, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Buy two tickets,one for Walter Musician, the other for Xtraseat Musician. Or put them on hold.

Call AA when your meeting is over to sort it out. You should have 24 hours to cancel a res unless it's within a week of the flight.
I know at DL you just change your first name to EXTRASEAT, and leave last name and other details like gender/DOB the same as yours. Can be booked online as a two passenger ticket. Works regardless of if a POS or for an instrument. No need to call.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I frequently travel with a viola (once a month) and I always put it in the overhead compartment. What's the problem?
Old May 26, 2017, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Crossinator
I frequently travel with a viola (once a month) and I always put it in the overhead compartment. What's the problem?
I think "viola" in this thread is a euphemism for "extra seat to spread out in."

I'd consider it for that price and length of flight.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I just got off a flight with MCE and nobody seated between my wife and I. It was great, I had no comfort issues, so now I'm thinking about booking extra seats on long flights. But the MCE is important to me for the comfort, so I ask a two-fold question

1) As a current Plat, I'm entitled to complimentary MCE for my wife and I. Would that extend to the XTRASEAT?

2) Once I drop down to gold and start paying for MCE (rather than hoping for it at OLCI), will I pay whatever that fee is twice? It appears so, since it says "Same fare", but seat fees are in addition to the fare basis as I understand it, so I want to confirm.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
I just got off a flight with MCE and nobody seated between my wife and I. It was great, I had no comfort issues, so now I'm thinking about booking extra seats on long flights.
MCE (or any similar product) with an empty middle is nearly as good as domestic FC IMO as it's often less expensive.

But the MCE is important to me for the comfort, so I ask a two-fold question

1) As a current Plat, I'm entitled to complimentary MCE for my wife and I. Would that extend to the XTRASEAT?
You get comp MCE for up to 8 companions on the same reservation, so yes, that would include the extra seat.

2) Once I drop down to gold and start paying for MCE (rather than hoping for it at OLCI), will I pay whatever that fee is twice? It appears so, since it says "Same fare", but seat fees are in addition to the fare basis as I understand it, so I want to confirm.
You have to pay the extra seat fee for each seat booked. I've never actually called and asked online about only having to pay per "person" but I usually book the XTRASEAT online like another passenger.
It's half-price for Gold, but it definitely makes the trip more expensive (and narrows the gap vs. 2x FC seats).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You have to pay the extra seat fee for each seat booked. I've never actually called and asked online about only having to pay per "person" but I usually book the XTRASEAT online like another passenger.
It's half-price for Gold, but it definitely makes the trip more expensive (and narrows the gap vs. 2x FC seats).
Thanks for confirming what I expected. I don't doubt that buying two seats, then buying two MCE upgrades, narrows the gap, plus there's the consideration of not getting EQD/RDM for spending that extra money which I would get in an F seat, or the 2xEQM if I do go for F.

Still, I've seen PHX-NYC is $300-$400 for Y, vs. $1200 for F when visiting family. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect 6 MCE segments (three seats, round trip) comes out to $1200.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Independent
Two Tickets - what happens if upgraded?

Looking at a flight from FLL to BOS through CLT. Tickets are really cheap, so it is cheaper to buy 2 coach tickets than a business class seat. I figure I don't drink anyways, and since it is a late flight out of CLT it is just a snack service. I am gold, so my chances are slim anyways, but what happens if I do actually get an upgrade? What happens if I get an upgrade on only one leg - do I loose the extra seat on the other, or still keep that one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.