Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Ah, that's very interesting. So the key is to either not scan XTRSEAT when boarding the plane, or to ask the gate agent to deplane XTRSEAT when she walks on the plane to give you your upgrade after you are already sitting in coach.

And then I guess if you are already on the plane you would need to call AA and ask them to cancel the XTRSEAT reservation. If you are at the gate when you receive your upgrade, should you ask the gate agent to cancel the XTRSEAT ticket, or would it still require a call to AA?

Or, can cancelling XTRSEAT be done online?

And, then as an earlier poster said, the question is whether or not you can use XTRSEAT's ticket value later.
In the scenario that you described, you're requesting an upgrade for your own seat, and not the extra seat as well, meaning you need reservations to separate the two tickets into two PNRs. Once the reservations are separate, you should be able to cancel the extra seat PNR on your own on the AA website, based solely on my assumptions of how things should work because of my experience with regular passenger bookings with separate PNRs.

I think a friendly and knowledgeable gate agent should be able to help you with everything, but I wouldn't bank on that.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:25 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
If you can manage to get upgraded then just leave the extra seat alone. You can enjoy the peace of mind while sipping your drink in first class that there is still one less breathing soul on your plane
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Just to be clear, I want to clarify under what circumstances I can cancel the XTRSEAT.
I think you are overcomplicating this to the extreme. You can cancel XTRSEAT according to the fare rules of the fare for which it was purchased.

XTRSEAT is not a fare; it's not a fare rule. It is a passenger name (LASTNAME/XTRSEAT).

Again, you are overthinking this to the extreme. Cancel the ticket whenever you want to according to the rules of the underlying fare. The only interesting question is, again, can residual value of a ticket booked for LASTNAME/EXST be applied to a ticket in the name of LASTNAME/REALFIRSTNAME?

Originally Posted by donotblink
I think a friendly and knowledgeable gate agent should be able to help you with everything, but I wouldn't bank on that.
Friendly AND knowledgeable? Good luck with that!
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
I think you are overcomplicating this to the extreme.

Again, you are overthinking this to the extreme.
Well, I thought that asking if I can cancel the XTRSEAT ticket after I've already boarded the plane was a fair question. The other information was mostly to lay out the facts to ensure I had them straight. I will try to ask simpler questions next time.

Originally Posted by Herb687
You can cancel XTRSEAT according to the fare rules of the fare for which it was purchased.
XTRSEAT is not a fare; it's not a fare rule. It is a passenger name (LASTNAME/XTRSEAT).
Cancel the ticket whenever you want to according to the rules of the underlying fare. The only interesting question is, again, can residual value of a ticket booked for LASTNAME/EXST be applied to a ticket in the name of LASTNAME/REALFIRSTNAME?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Well, I thought that asking if I can cancel the XTRSEAT ticket after I've already boarded the plane was a fair question.
You can cancel the ticket and retain the residual value of the ticket according to the specific fare rules of the specific fare purchased.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine you could certainly use the EXSEAT ticket the next time you book coach for yourself, as an EXSEAT.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I imagine you could certainly use the EXSEAT ticket the next time you book coach for yourself, as an EXSEAT.
Well that is obvious (within the ticket validity period, of course). But I'm assuming that most people don't book EXSEAT every time they fly in Y. I certainly don't when (2*Y) > (1*F); I just pay for F in that case.

So, the core question remains unanswered: can one reboook a ticket originally issued in the name of LASTNAME/EXSEAT for LASTNAME/REALFIRSTNAME?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 1:36 pm

what happens if I book an extra seat for myself AND also pay for MCE at booking for my personal seat? Do I have to pay for MCE for both seats?
Old May 1, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a flight tomorrow and I've purchased the seat next to mine for actra space. I won't be able to travel and I wonder if the EXST seat will keep the residual value like mine will to use in the future? Any experiences with a similar situation? Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Empty Seat - Oversold/Standby

I've got 3 tickets on hold BOS-ORD-PSP for the Monday after Thanksgiving, with an empty exit row seat between me and my wife. If either flight is oversold or has standby passengers (quite likely after Thanksgiving?) what options does the agent have for taking that paid-for empty seat?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Subscribed. Interested myself in the answer.

All the best, James
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Do you mean that the seat between you is just unoccupied? Or do you mean you paid for an Extra Seat (typically used by passengers of size, but can be purchased by anyone)?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:42 am

I will pay for an empty seat.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm assuming the pax paid for the seat next to him in the way a POS would. I would think a GA couldn't put a pax in that seat but I'll let others chime in.

Is paying for a 3rd seat that much cheaper than 2 F seats?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:56 am

It's quite a bit cheaper, I got the three seats for $285 each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.