Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I'm thinking of traveling with my mother in November and trying to figure out if we should buy an extra seat to make sure nobody sits next to us or if we should buy J. Currently J is about 4 times the cost of the Y seats. Her and I are both EXP so we would be hoping for an upgrade but not sure if we'd be eligible considering the EXST. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
What is the route? What day of the week? Nothing is for sure but now a days exp upgrades are pretty solid except ex DFW. CLT is probably the easiest hub to upgrade out of.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
What is the route? What day of the week? Nothing is for sure but now a days exp upgrades are pretty solid except ex DFW. CLT is probably the easiest hub to upgrade out of.
Thank you for your reply. We're looking to go MIA-SAL around Thanksgiving week. Flights are tiny A319s so not very many J seats. Will probably just buy J to not have to deal with upgrade lottery.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Thank you for your reply. We're looking to go MIA-SAL around Thanksgiving week. Flights are tiny A319s so not very many J seats. Will probably just buy J to not have to deal with upgrade lottery.
Yeah, if you want to sit in J on this aircraft/route, I'd strongly recommend buying it and not holding out for an upgrade. With only eight seats, the A319 upgrade chances are very low. This flight appears to be departing fully sold in both cabins on the days it operates.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking of traveling with my mother in November and trying to figure out if we should buy an extra seat to make sure nobody sits next to us or if we should buy J. Currently J is about 4 times the cost of the Y seats. Her and I are both EXP so we would be hoping for an upgrade but not sure if we'd be eligible considering the EXST. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I think if you book the two human passengers on one reservation, and then call up to add an EXST, it will go in a separate reservation cross-referenced. I don't *think* that should inhibit the upgrade on the original PNR. You could abandon the EXST if you both cleared, but you'd have to try and make sure that any continuing travel on that reservation isn't cancelled. It could be a little messy. But as others have said, the chances of upgrades on a 319 are low, and even if you both cleared, you'd probably won't be able to sit together.
Personally, I would save the $ and take 3 coach seats.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think if you book the two human passengers on one reservation, and then call up to add an EXST, it will go in a separate reservation cross-referenced. I don't *think* that should inhibit the upgrade on the original PNR. You could abandon the EXST if you both cleared, but you'd have to try and make sure that any continuing travel on that reservation isn't cancelled. It could be a little messy. But as others have said, the chances of upgrades on a 319 are low, and even if you both cleared, you'd probably won't be able to sit together.
Personally, I would save the $ and take 3 coach seats.
Thanks. I think we'll do the 3 coach seats. It's a short flight and we can have the bulkhead row.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
When buying two Y seats for extra space and booking online, what do you folks enter for Secure Flight data on passenger #2 LASTNAME/XTRASEAT? Same DOB/gender as pax #1?

I'm seeing some fares out there for Spring travel that make booking 2 (or even a whole row of 3) seats a pretty compelling value proposition compared to buying/upgrading into F. Thank you, Spirit!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Herb687
When buying two Y seats for extra space and booking online, what do you folks enter for Secure Flight data on passenger #2 LASTNAME/XTRASEAT? Same DOB/gender as pax #1?

I'm seeing some fares out there for Spring travel that make booking 2 (or even a whole row of 3) seats a pretty compelling value proposition compared to buying/upgrading into F. Thank you, Spirit!
call in to do it so they can waive some taxes for you.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:16 pm

AA told me that the "US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)" can be waived for the extra seat, but not the "US Security Service Fee (AY)" i.e. TSA fee. Is this true?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:11 am

Can You Cancel Only the Extra Seat You Purchased If You Get Upgraded?

So, I realize that there are pretty much no more new questions at this point on the forum. However, I haven't seen this one discussed.....although I'm sure someone asked it at some point. :-)

Here is the situation:

For a one-way domestic non-stop flight for two traveling I buy in economy class an aisle seat, a window seat, and the middle seat for extra room (can't be done online but can be done on the phone). You might ask why not just buy a first class ticket.

The economy one-way price is about $50 and the first class price is $300. So I can pay $150 for three economy tickets (for two people) or $600 for two first class tickets. The three economy tickets for $150 seem like a pretty good deal to get a little more room.

If I am on the upgrade list and upgrade comes through for me and travel partner (2 upgrades per person at $40 each, or $160 total) before the flight, can I receive a flight credit for the extra middle seat I purchased since I'm not using it any longer?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
So, I realize that there are pretty much no more new questions at this point on the forum. However, I haven't seen this one discussed.....although I'm sure someone asked it at some point. :-)

Here is the situation:

For a one-way domestic non-stop flight for two traveling I buy in economy class an aisle seat, a window seat, and the middle seat for extra room (can't be done online but can be done on the phone). You might ask why not just buy a first class ticket.

The economy one-way price is about $50 and the first class price is $300. So I can pay $150 for three economy tickets (for two people) or $600 for two first class tickets. The three economy tickets for $150 seem like a pretty good deal to get a little more room.

If I am on the upgrade list and upgrade comes through for me and travel partner (2 upgrades per person at $40 each, or $160 total) before the flight, can I receive a flight credit for the extra middle seat I purchased since I'm not using it any longer?
Mods - should this be moved to the consolidated "EXST / XTRSEAT" thread or stand on its own?

I'm actually wondering similar as I have an "EXST" reservation for an upcoming trip that I will likely cancel.

Since all fares currently have no change fee, obviously you can cancel the extra seat reservation and retain full value towards a future flight. So, the core question would be: can that ticket only be applied to a future reservation for LASTNAME/EXST or can it also be used for a reservation for LASTNAME/REALFIRSTNAME?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:00 pm

There is some discussion of this in the XTRASEAT thread. Click "Search this Thread" in that thread and search for "upgrade". Doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, but since extra seats are ineligible for upgrades I wonder if a reservation with two passengers and an extra seat might need to be split before you can request an upgrade.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _kurt
There is some discussion of this in the XTRASEAT thread. Click "Search this Thread" in that thread and search for "upgrade". Doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, but since extra seats are ineligible for upgrades I wonder if a reservation with two passengers and an extra seat might need to be split before you can request an upgrade.
The upgrade part of this discussion is irrelevant and confusing.

The only question that matters is can residual value ticket credit in the name of XTRSEAT be rebooked for REALFIRSTNAME.

Why the XTRSEAT ticket is canceled is irrelevant.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
The upgrade part of this discussion is irrelevant and confusing.

The only question that matters is can residual value ticket credit in the name of XTRSEAT be rebooked for REALFIRSTNAME.

Why the XTRSEAT ticket is canceled is irrelevant.

Just to be clear, I want to clarify under what circumstances I can cancel the XTRSEAT.

If I buy a coach ticket with XTRSEAT, can I cancel XTRSEAT while maintaining my own ticket in all of these situations?

1) When I am notified of my upgrade days before flight and I have not checked in online.

2) When I am notified of my upgrade after I checked in online, but before I "check in" at airport and check my bags

3) When I am notified of my upgrade at the gate

4) When I am notified of my upgrade after I have boarded the plane, and I am sitting in my coach seat.

So, if the answer is yes to all of these, then as you stated, the only question is if you can use an XTRSEAT fight credit for yourself or others later.

Last edited by EQDsSUCK; Feb 20, 2021 at 6:01 pm
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Just to be clear, I want to clarify under what circumstances I can cancel the XTRSEAT.

If I buy a coach ticket with XTRSEAT, can I cancel XTRSEAT while maintaining my own ticket in all of these situations?

1) When I am notified of my upgrade days before flight and I have not checked in online.

2) When I am notified of my upgrade after I checked in online, but before I "check in" at airport and check my bags

3) When I am notified of my upgrade at the gate

4) When I am notified of my upgrade after I have boarded the plane, and I am sitting in my coach seat.

So, if the answer is yes to all of these, then as you stated, the only question is if you can use an XTRSEAT fight credit for yourself or others later.
I'm pretty sure that the answer to 1-3 is yes. 4 is theoretically also yes, but the policy and procedures for extra seats is that you're supposed to scan the boarding pass at the gate for the extra seat as if it were for another passenger. In order for you to get the refund in the instance of 4, you'd need to get the gate agent to agree to off-board the extra seat ticket so the status reverts in Sabre from "Boarded" to "Checkin" at which time you theoretically would be able to cancel the reservation, but if it were after the published flight time you might not be eligible to use the credit for future value? I'm not 100% sure.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
I'm pretty sure that the answer to 1-3 is yes. 4 is theoretically also yes, but the policy and procedures for extra seats is that you're supposed to scan the boarding pass at the gate for the extra seat as if it were for another passenger. In order for you to get the refund in the instance of 4, you'd need to get the gate agent to agree to off-board the extra seat ticket so the status reverts in Sabre from "Boarded" to "Checkin" at which time you theoretically would be able to cancel the reservation, but if it were after the published flight time you might not be eligible to use the credit for future value? I'm not 100% sure.
Ah, that's very interesting. So the key is to either not scan XTRSEAT when boarding the plane, or to ask the gate agent to deplane XTRSEAT when she walks on the plane to give you your upgrade after you are already sitting in coach.

And then I guess if you are already on the plane you would need to call AA and ask them to cancel the XTRSEAT reservation. If you are at the gate when you receive your upgrade, should you ask the gate agent to cancel the XTRSEAT ticket, or would it still require a call to AA?

Or, can cancelling XTRSEAT be done online?

And, then as an earlier poster said, the question is whether or not you can use XTRSEAT's ticket value later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.