Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:34 pm

Can an extra seat be booked thru a 3rd party agent as the Visa Infinite discount portal?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:50 pm

Book as award?

I need an extra seat when I fly coach. Can I book or hold award seats online including an extra seat, then call to have them code everything correctly? I ask because the flights I want have great web awards right now that I doubt the phone agents can book. Or am I SOL?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Buy 3 seats for two people?

For the domestic routes we fly First always seems to be significantly more expensive than coach, but I can get really good prices in coach. I've been thinking about just buying three exit row seats for the two of us. Comments? Some questions:

1. How do I buy a seat for a non-person?
2. Should I (can I?) create an AA account for say, Mr. Empty Seat ?
3. How does kiosk or desk check-in work?
4. Can I keep the seat empty if the plane is full or even over sold?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I do not know AA rules. With DL, you buy the extra seat as something like LASTNAME, EXTRASEAT. You do not get miles though, so do not bother with an account. If they give the seat away, they are IDBing it and penalties apply. At the kiosk, print two BPs. At check in present both.

The exit row might be an issue. They might assume the extra is a customer of size and push back against the exit row,

At the end of the day, just call and ask.

IMO, it really is a good idea when you can find cheap long haul Y fares. I have used this for both 3 for 2 pax and also just for myself when I had to burn a companion pass.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Call and make your reservation over the phone, your ticketing fee will be waived. You will be asked if it’s for a musical instrument or if you’re a person of size, you can say POS if you want as that’ll probably just make things easier, they will contact tariff and store a price quote with some (but not all) taxes removed for the 2nd ticket. You can’t collect miles for xtraseat.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can do this online (book as <LASTNAME>, EXST) although I think there are some taxes they can waive if you do it by phone.
We’ve done it a number of times on AA, DL, and B6. Exit row won’t be a problem as long as the 2 pax meet the qualifications for the exit row (which a “true” CoS likely won’t). I know with DL if you book this with an agent you won’t be able to do OLCI. Not sure about AA, have never had to book over the phone.
And of course make sure all boarding passes get scanned when you board and ensure the GA knows one is an Extra Seat (so the pax count isn’t off).

if there aren’t 3 seats in the lowest available booking class, you can book the 2 online and then call and they should be able to match the fare.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Buy two coach seats because large: EQD and EQM earnings

I am a "person of size".

AA's transPac Y, MCE, and PEY seats are terrible for me. JL's transPac Y seats are actually better for me than AA's PEY. (This is not idle opinion. This is tested. I've done transPac hops in both.)

I noticed just now that flexible PEY costs over twice what Y costs, making buying two adjacent MCE seat, with a flip-up armrest, a very viable alternative. I get the same meal, comparable IFE, and I got a lot more space.

Obviously, I should get the EQD for two seats, since I actually spent those dollars. What about the EQM? Should I get EQM for one seat or for two?

It becomes a bit more complex, in that I'll have to book the seats over the phone, to get F on the feeder-line CRJ hops between HSV and DFW, but that's a separate issue.

Note: JL routinely blocks an open Y seat next to me, when they can, and they almost never run 100% load factor, so they very nearly always can. I have no problem at all paying them the extra fare for their part of the hop.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Can’t find it, but know I’ve seen this question before; you only get EQM for one person per flight regardless of how many seats you buy for that person. You do get the extra EQDs though.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You only get EQDs, EQMs and EQS for one seat
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by AAir_head
Can’t find it, but know I’ve seen this question before; you only get EQM for one person per flight regardless of how many seats you buy for that person. You do get the extra EQDs though.
Well, perhaps not on the EQDs; found the wiki post here
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the language in the AAdvantage Terms & Conditions:
Mileage can only be accumulated one time per flight, regardless of the number of seats purchased.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...advantagemiles

Pretty sure that “mileage” means RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
Note that Delta does allow you to earn RDMs on Extra Seats, though you have to manually request credit.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dhacker
I need an extra seat when I fly coach. Can I book or hold award seats online including an extra seat, then call to have them code everything correctly? I ask because the flights I want have great web awards right now that I doubt the phone agents can book. Or am I SOL?
I have the same question. US-Australia for 80K (40K x 2) in coach is doable if I have an empty seat next to me. Better then 480K for business!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:24 am

Is it possible to reserve three Y seats for one person? I was thinking pay the fare for 1 ticket and miles for the 2 extra seats. Some of these 5k-9k awards (esp for transcon) could theoretically make for a relatively ok lie flat.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by kanny
Is it possible to reserve three Y seats for one person? I was thinking pay the fare for 1 ticket and miles for the 2 extra seats. Some of these 5k-9k awards (esp for transcon) could theoretically make for a relatively ok lie flat.
I don't know if 3 is possible--but pretty certain that stretching one back across three cushions designed to fit three backsides is a recipe for back problems...
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Extra seat (EXST) and Upgrades

I'm thinking of traveling with my mother in November and trying to figure out if we should buy an extra seat to make sure nobody sits next to us or if we should buy J. Currently J is about 4 times the cost of the Y seats. Her and I are both EXP so we would be hoping for an upgrade but not sure if we'd be eligible considering the EXST. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.