Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:12 pm

In the old days a lot of aerospace items flew in their own commercial plane seats on the way to NASA. This was before modern day G force sensors and tracking etc. The famous Delta case and AA rules are enough to avoid trying to claim miles.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by gizmo78
What, you get no Frequent Fiddler Miles? :-)

I'll show myself out.
Only for a StrAAdivariAA, SHIRLEY
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Only for a StrAAdivariAA, SHIRLEY

what? not for GuAAneri? or GUAneri?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
have you seen how people try to overstuff the overhead bins?

BTW, she my niece, not my daughter. I did not have an affair with my sister-in-law, to the best of my knowledge.
It needs to be in a proper hardshell case. No harm is going to come of it in an overhead bin if it's in a hardshell case. I'm a full-time musician, flying 150K miles a year with valuable instruments (including an expensive acoustic guitar), so I do speak from experience on this. Plus, she should have a music insurance policy on it. www.musicproinsurance.com. They offer great coverage and the deductible is only $100 per claim.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rjw242
This is actually common practice. Overhead bins can fill up. For a delicate parcel that costs more than a lot of houses, buying a seat is peanuts.
Common practice for large instruments like cellos, yes. For small instruments, it's just silly. And if the instrument is THAT expensive (even if it isn't), she should have it insured just in case.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
No. AAdvantage members must be a person.
She needs to merely incorporate the violin as an LLC then assert it's rights under Citizens a United to claim FFM. No strings attached.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
She needs to merely incorporate the violin as an LLC then assert it's rights under Citizens a United to claim FFM. No strings attached.
I can't tell if you're serious or just kidding?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by weltfrieden
I can't tell if you're serious or just kidding?
I'm frequently detache from the Jete bridge......
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:57 pm

Completely irrelevant but the "The Mad Violinist" was on a flight with me a few months ago. I Googled the dude, very impressive.

Assuming he put it in the overhead but didn't think twice about it.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by JDiver
cellist Mstislav Rostropovich flew back and forth JFK-CDG regularly, with his cello occupying the seat adjacent to him, on the AF Concorde.
If anyone deserves the Concorde for him and his cello, it's Slava. Heard him in concert only once, in Seattle... an experience I'll never, ever forget. He did 3 encores, all Bach cello concertos, absolutely unbelievable.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
If anyone deserves the Concorde for him and his cello, it's Slava. Heard him in concert only once, in Seattle... an experience I'll never, ever forget. He did 3 encores, all Bach cello concertos, absolutely unbelievable.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
I was never one for the violin until I sat 45 feet from Itzhak Perlman perform at the ASO. Mrs Dr LS said my my jaw was dropped for 60 minutes. It was a post-event addition to my bucket list. Now I'll add Slava, thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Given the value of the instrument, I assume that it's unique and irreplaceable, possibly historic or an antique. If it were to be destroyed or significantly damaged, having insurance coverage would not make up for the loss, including to her performance career. So I fully understand the reasons for buying the violin its own seat. This also makes her travel more comfortable, although I suspect that most airlines require that it have a window seat (just like this would be true for an infant car seat) so as to avoid blocking access to exits in an emergency. She and the violin are probably also forbidden to sit in exit rows.

Many carriers would require that the second ticket be on the same PNR with a name something like XTRASEAT LASTNAME. This might need to be done by phone. Most carriers won't give the violin its own FF account, elite status, etc., nor will niece earn miles on the violin's travel.

At approximately 67,000 miles before niece signed up for a FF program, she could have been Plat by now and enjoying some nice benefits on AA.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Given the value of the instrument, I assume that it's unique and irreplaceable, possibly historic or an antique. If it were to be destroyed or significantly damaged, having insurance coverage would not make up for the loss, including to her performance career. So I fully understand the reasons for buying the violin its own seat. This also makes her travel more comfortable, although I suspect that most airlines require that it have a window seat (just like this would be true for an infant car seat) so as to avoid blocking access to exits in an emergency. She and the violin are probably also forbidden to sit in exit rows.
I still fail to understand the math behind this - instead of buying a couple flights worth of seats - plow that money into a tip/top travel case... or even a custom double case (standard high protection case inside of a pelican or like constructed hard walled case). While 200k sounds like alot of cash, its not really that much when all is said and done. I've frequently traveled with 1M+ dollars worth of sensitive equipment in my carry on bags. With that said, I would never check it.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by austin_modern
While 200k sounds like alot of cash, its not really that much when all is said and done. I've frequently traveled with 1M+ dollars worth of sensitive equipment in my carry on bags. With that said, I would never check it.
The rub is what happens if you board late and there's no overhead space? I once saw a guy with very expensive video equipment that was being forced to check it, and he almost went nuts.

Another passenger recommended to him to pull a $20 bill out of his pocket and buy someone else's spot in the overhead compartment. It worked, and the FA gave the guy who had the idea a free drink.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
The rub is what happens if you board late and there's no overhead space? I once saw a guy with very expensive video equipment that was being forced to check it, and he almost went nuts.

Another passenger recommended to him to pull a $20 bill out of his pocket and buy someone else's spot in the overhead compartment. It worked, and the FA gave the guy who had the idea a free drink.
Happened once years ago - the flight attendants put it in their portion of the cabinet when I explained what was in there and the expense. The bulletproof case was enough for them to realize it was pricy. There are always options.... just like the 20 dollar overhead bribe. Its rare for someone who's plat/executive plat to not have an overhead spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.