Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Fewer.
Thanks.

Fixed my post.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:59 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
deleted

Last edited by UncleDude; Aug 26, 2013 at 3:05 pm
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Any recent experience with this? I'm a big but not enormous guy; I fit into one seat, but not super-comfortably, especially for redeyes. Pondering buying an extra seat for certain long flights when an upgrade seems unlikely. But, questions:
  • If I'm entitled to free MCE, can I assume that the extra seat also gets free MCE?
  • Can I be placed on the upgrade list, and upgraded? (Happy to be upgraded to only one seat, and for the extra seat to disappear if I get the upgrade.)
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booking two seats / extra seat for one person (XTRA SEAT)

Nothing has changed. The extra seat can be treated just like any other extra seat with a passenger in it. If you do get yourself upgraded and want to "discard" the extra seat, just make sure that if this is an outbound segment, they still scan the BP so the return doesn't get cancelled.

One question we had was - 2 coach award seats booked, one is XTRA, was hoping to upgrade to a biz award if it became available. If so, we know AA won't charge a fee for up-faring the award, but would they charge a redeposit fee for the extra seat? Would seem to be punitive for POS's, which the govt might not like...

(The J seats never materialized so we didn't find out).
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
So having an extra seat doesn't hurt upgrade chances?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Antarius
Don't understand the hesitance here. One LESS passenger means fewer bags to deal with, less weight (and fuel) and less commotion. They make money for doing nothing...

If the aircraft is a 738, try for row 16 or 17. This has a blocked middle seat.
Just spotted this exchange, but I think the issue in her case is that she'd already booked the tickets, and it would be adding an additional "person" to an existing/ticketed PNR.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC AA
So having an extra seat doesn't hurt upgrade chances?
No more or less than being on a booking with another passenger.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
The website says you have to book through AA. Can you put XTRA as the middle name and then call after booking to have them fix (or place on hold), or is it better to book through the res center?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zgscl
The website says you have to book through AA. Can you put XTRA as the middle name and then call after booking to have them fix (or place on hold), or is it better to book through the res center?
Never, even expect to make changes of that sort after booking. They might do it; OTOH, they might charge you a reissue fee on that one or on all three tickets on the PNR to do it, or outright refuse.

OTOH, you can hold the ticket, and then call the res center to add the third "person" (or perhaps better still, hold it for three, and have them fix the name.)

In some cases they can make those changes and then have you go back to the web site to pay, avoiding the phone ticketing fee.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The website says you have to book through AA.
Not sure where you see that (and I'm using the context of the post to assume by "book through AA" you mean "call AA").

I see this: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...Nav#extraspace
Which seems to imply that if, for example, there is only one seat in "N" booking class available, they should be able to get you the second seat at the same price. I certainly don't read anything suggesting you must call AA.

I've certainly done this online without any intervention by a phone agent. And this includes an international coach award seat on AA, and another one on a partner (AB) in the very recent past.

I suspect that if you call, it's possible some of the taxes may be waived, but probably not worth my time waiting on hold and/or an agent to figure out how to do it.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not sure where you see that (and I'm using the context of the post to assume by "book through AA" you mean "call AA").

I see this: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...Nav#extraspace
Which seems to imply that if, for example, there is only one seat in "N" booking class available, they should be able to get you the second seat at the same price. I certainly don't read anything suggesting you must call AA.

I've certainly done this online without any intervention by a phone agent. And this includes an international coach award seat on AA, and another one on a partner (AB) in the very recent past.

I suspect that if you call, it's possible some of the taxes may be waived, but probably not worth my time waiting on hold and/or an agent to figure out how to do it.
Thanks, that was my question, can you avoid the wait times and what not. I would think in many cases a few dollars extra in taxes could be worth the time spent calling, holding, explaining to someone who may or may not know how to do what you want, hold for them to do it correctly or possibly not and then have to wait more while they try to fix it.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that was my question, can you avoid the wait times and what not. I would think in many cases a few dollars extra in taxes could be worth the time spent calling, holding, explaining to someone who may or may not know how to do what you want, hold for them to do it correctly or possibly not and then have to wait more while they try to fix it.
"Hang up and call again" is a lot more painful with the current ridiculous hold times.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly - on a domestic itinerary, no way is it worth any potential savings. On an ex-international segment, it might be, because int'l departure taxes/fees can be pretty high (obviously LHR is the poster child). And if you could get carrier surcharges waived (i have no idea if you can), that might definitely make it worthwhile.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nkedel
Just spotted this exchange, but I think the issue in her case is that she'd already booked the tickets, and it would be adding an additional "person" to an existing/ticketed PNR.
That can certainly be done, though. Whether or not the agent is willing to is another question.

Extra seats are ticketed using "EXST" (extra seat) as the first name and the last name of the passenger purchasing the extra seat.

That being said, it's "officially" not possible to purchase extra seats on AA.com and you need to call.

Originally Posted by nkedel
In some cases they can make those changes and then have you go back to the web site to pay, avoiding the phone ticketing fee.
I doubt they would charge the phone fee since there's no official way to make these bookings online.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Nov 11, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:59 am

can a violin with a paid extra seat earn miles on AA?

my niece has just become a professional violinist and will need to travel by herself quite frequently on AA. in the last couple of years, she has always purchased a 2nd ticket(at same cost as her own ticket) whenever she flew AA or UA. She didn't even sign up for a frequent flyer account on AA or UA and I estimate that she lost out on over 67,000 miles.

Her current instrument is on loan and has an insurance policy with a replacement value of a little over $280,000, which is why she always buys a seat. No point in taking chances of having to put it in the overhead or worse. She just keeps the violin securely strapped to the seat.

I sat her down and explained to her the importance of miles. However, I have absolutely no idea how airlines award or not award miles for musical instruments occupying a paid seat. Does she have to give her violin a name and sign up for a separate account? Or can she get the miles credited to her own account?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.