Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I always thought placing musical instruments and other irregularly shaped items in closets rather than overheads was the norm, so as not to waste overhead space.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
If anyone deserves the Concorde for him and his cello, it's Slava. Heard him in concert only once, in Seattle... an experience I'll never, ever forget. He did 3 encores, all Bach cello concertos, absolutely unbelievable.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Piatigorsky was even more impressive when I heard him in person. I was maybe 15 or 16 and I couldn't fully close my jaws for hours after the concert.

(oh, great, I just unwittingly revealed my age)
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
On a lighter note:
Let's say AA awarded miles to the violin, for redemption, the violin will need a credit card
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
On a lighter note:
Let's say AA awarded miles to the violin, for redemption, the violin will need a credit card
If dead people can vote, a violin can surely get a credit card! 😁
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
On a lighter note:
why is a credit card necessary? when I redeemed my AA miles for free flights, I've never had to use a credit card.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
why is a credit card necessary? when I redeemed my AA miles for free flights, I've never had to use a credit card.
How did you pay the taxes?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
How do the FAs account for empty seats when doing their final seat count before letting on dead headers and standbys? This must have created conflicts in the past (on rushed closings) when FA told the GA (6 open), and the GA decides to allow 6 standbys on the plane...
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
How do the FAs account for empty seats when doing their final seat count before letting on dead headers and standbys? This must have created conflicts in the past (on rushed closings) when FA told the GA (6 open), and the GA decides to allow 6 standbys on the plane...
It's a good idea to tell the gate agent as you're boarding and s/he scans the BP that one is an extra seat.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I have no experience on AA with extra seats, but I do on Southwest. Even GA are aware of the empty seat, with my note to be placed on the seat, almost ever flight someone (FA or GA) has tried to place a passenger into the seat next to me.

Since I switched flying AA domestic, I have only been in First, so had no need to get a second seat. So much less hassle.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
How did you pay the taxes?
I believe you can do that over the phone if you want to pay with a card not matching the account owner's name. However, if the instrument has the same last name, then I would just use that name with my credit card information. I have done this before without a problem. I don't know what would happen if I tried it for someone with a different last name, because I have only booked from family members accounts with the same last name.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Extra seat/IDB?

I have purchased my first extra seat for an upcoming flight on 23 December. I am traveling in a group of 5 and bought the 6th seat as an extra under my name so we could have two consecutive rows on a fairly long flight.

I am a bit worried about overbooking on the flight. EF shows it as sold out except one seat in Y.

If there is such a situation, is it possible they can take the extra seat to use for another passenger? If so, am I entitled to IDB compensation for the extra seat, or can I treat the whole party as IDB? How does that work? I would hate to have the seat taken away as I was counting on it for general comfort in my row. (I am a big guy but I do fit in one seat with the armrests down.)

Anyone know/seen this happen?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phil_flyer
I have purchased my first extra seat for an upcoming flight on 23 December. I am traveling in a group of 5 and bought the 6th seat as an extra under my name so we could have two consecutive rows on a fairly long flight.

I am a bit worried about overbooking on the flight. EF shows it as sold out except one seat in Y.

If there is such a situation, is it possible they can take the extra seat to use for another passenger? If so, am I entitled to IDB compensation for the extra seat, or can I treat the whole party as IDB? How does that work? I would hate to have the seat taken away as I was counting on it for general comfort in my row. (I am a big guy but I do fit in one seat with the armrests down.)

Anyone know/seen this happen?
You say "under my name" but did you book it as "XTRASEAT phil_flyer"?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Yes, I set up the reservation and ticketed via the CK agent and it is set up properly in my name as XS.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phil_flyer
Yes, I set up the reservation and ticketed via the CK agent and it is set up properly in my name as XS.
Shouldn't be any problem then, seat is yours and certainly they won't IDB a CK holding 6 seats, they'd find someone else.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:15 pm

Person of (considerable) Size DFW to HNL - Looking for some hope

My extended family is going to Hawaii. I want to go. I am a person of (considerable) size. Wide, not tall. About 375

I booked an extra seat so that I would be allowed on he plane and wouldn't inconvenience other passengers. I called the airline to confirm and discuss my situation and the agent had no idea at first what I was even talking about but she was very nice and put me on hold while she asked someone else. When she returned to the line she told me that all armrests on the three planes are fixed except some of the armrests on the aisle. That doesn't help me because I need the extra space between my seats with the empty between my wife and I (she is small). Extending my body out into the aisle by raising the aisle armrest doesn't seem convenient for others or comfortable for me. I believe he agent was sincere but her lack of knowledge on the subject left me wondering if she got the details right.

I fly Southwest regularly, always purchasing an additional seat, and never have a problem because the armrests between seats can be raised. A seatbelt extender fits just fine and everything is great. In fact, for other passengers, sitting with me is one of the best seats on the plane because they get an extra half seat for their stuff.

I was ok paying the extra grand for another seat but I have since cancelled all of them and I am now very disappointed that I may just have to stay home. Hawaii has been a lifelong dream so I'm really bummed.

So, for those of you with experience on these planes are all of the armrests between seats fixed and immobile?

Here are the three flights. Thank you all in advance for your time and thoughtful replies.

Jan 07, 2017
Flight: #623
Carrier : AMERICAN AIRLINES
Departing : DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth
Arriving : PHX Phoenix
Aircraft Type: 321 (Airbus A321 v.3 - Seats 14a, 14b, 14c)

Jan 07, 2017
Flight: #692
Departing : PHX Phoenix
Arriving : HNL Honolulu
Aircraft Type: 752 (Boeing 757-200 - Seats 20d, 20e, 20f)

Jan 13, 2017
Flight: #102
Departing : HNL Honolulu
Arriving : DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth
Aircraft Type: 763 (Boeing 767-300 - Seats 29c, 29e, 29g

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.