Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by audio-nut
I had a "supervisor" tell me the same thing last night. No changes on award tickets for a large schedule change unless its the same number of miles. Award tickets already have the ability to refund in full so basically there is no additional rights during a schedule change.
This would be very sad if true. In the past I have always found them to be very liberal on award changes after schedule change - literally any time/routing same day, which leads to an optimal award strategy of "book the cheapest award ticket that day and wait for a schedule change to get the flight you want". I have never had much luck with that on cash tickets though.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Was advised by the Twitter team that when AA has a months-ahead schedule change, even when for multiple hours, AA will only rebook onto alternate AA flights IF the same booking inventory is available. Otherwise, the customer has to pay the fare difference to AA or cancel/refund and find alternate flights. Even for EXP. Seriously?
Makes perfect sense IMO
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
There's a big difference between a schedule change and AA just arbitrarily switching your flights. For the situation mentioned just above, that's not a schedule change. The 2nd flight the person wanted to take is still operating as booked. There is absolutely no way AA can move them off the flight they booked and then ask for more miles/money to go back to it. That would be the very definition of bait and switch.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So, in my case, I got the change I wanted....
Which really was no change. AA moved you because either their software sucks or they have more demand on Flight #999.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
OP I had the same issue with the Twitter team earlier in the year. Called in, had no wait, and they immediately changed me to the flight I wanted without any pushback or issue whatsoever. The Twitter team has been basically perfect for me otherwise but I do wonder if they're being more stingy with schedule changes (maybe a memo went out internally or something, who knows).
Had a STL-DFW-SFO schedule change from a 9:40a departure to a 7:30a. Was planning to take an 8am call in the AC. Changing to any later flight except early next morning arrival cost lots of money on website Twitter team took care of me (paid F, no status), getting me on my first choice at 11am via ORD without charge.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My mom had a schedule change for a flight a couple of weeks away. Domestic paid F, the connecting flight went away, the system rebooked her on the next one, turning a 70 minute connection into a 4 hour plus stopover.

We decided what alternative we preferred - leaving an hour earlier and thru a different connecting city, and messaged twitted with the change request. A half hour later, it was all confirmed as requested. So kudos to AA for making that so easy.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
I'm usually a United flyer but had booked PHX-BUR on AA for August 11 and they cancelled my flight and moved me to the later flight which gets me in too late to attend an event I have tix for that night. So - I wanted to change to an earlier flight into LAX. Both the app and the website give me a message that I have to call to change this flight which is mind blowing for a such a simple thing. I'm on hold with for at least 20 minutes because when I tried to choose 1 for a call back it keeps telling me it was an invalid choice and then I reached my maximum allowed choices. Then the agent tells me I couldn't change it because it was basic economy - which it wasn't - it was main cabin extra. He's like huh - that's weird and of course changes it. Is this normal or am I just allergic to AA's tech? I would have sorted this whole thing on United in 30 seconds.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elynchking
I'm usually a United flyer but had booked PHX-BUR on AA for August 11 and they cancelled my flight and moved me to the later flight which gets me in too late to attend an event I have tix for that night. So - I wanted to change to an earlier flight into LAX. Both the app and the website give me a message that I have to call to change this flight which is mind blowing for a such a simple thing. I'm on hold with for at least 20 minutes because when I tried to choose 1 for a call back it keeps telling me it was an invalid choice and then I reached my maximum allowed choices. Then the agent tells me I couldn't change it because it was basic economy - which it wasn't - it was main cabin extra. He's like huh - that's weird and of course changes it. Is this normal or am I just allergic to AA's tech? I would have sorted this whole thing on United in 30 seconds.
Theyre not always mutually exclusive… if you have status then you can book a Basic Economy fare but still select a seat in Main Cabin Extra.

Not being able to change online / having to call or contact via Chat or Twitter is, unfortunately, pretty much the norm.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:18 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I just checked my CMH-DFW-SFO trip for this fall and noticed that my first leg has moved up by almost 3 hours and my DFW layover is now almost 4 hours. My arrival time is still the same though (but later than what I originally booked due to an earlier schedule change). I hate this new itinerary. Any chance of getting this changed without extra spend? There doesn't appear to be any AA departures close to my original departure time, but at the very least I'd prefer to get on an earlier DFW-SFO flight to shorten the layover.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aau
I just checked my CMH-DFW-SFO trip for this fall and noticed that my first leg has moved up by almost 3 hours and my DFW layover is now almost 4 hours. My arrival time is still the same though (but later than what I originally booked due to an earlier schedule change). I hate this new itinerary. Any chance of getting this changed without extra spend? There doesn't appear to be any AA departures close to my original departure time, but at the very least I'd prefer to get on an earlier DFW-SFO flight to shorten the layover.
Of course, just research whatever new flights work the best, then call AA and ask specifically for those.
aau likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
So based on reading I believe this should work, but would like reassurance. I am looking to book a ticket that has relatively high fare costs in January, there is one flight with a 20 hour overnight layover that is significantly cheaper. My plan is to book that ticket and hope for a schedule change, then ask AA to move me to a flight with a reasonable layover/that gets to my destination same day? Otherwise, I can always cancel the ticket for a voucher and use it for a different flight if the price drops.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:03 pm

Schedule Change

Flying FRA-CLT in Oct. When I pull up the status on AA.com or the app, I get the message:

SCHEDULE CHANGE
Your flight changed. Please check back soon to see what changed.

The only thing different than when booked 4 months ago is the arrival time is 10 mins earlier.
Have you seen this before? It has been like this for 2 days.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tpsken
Flying FRA-CLT in Oct. When I pull up the status on AA.com or the app, I get the message:

SCHEDULE CHANGE
Your flight changed. Please check back soon to see what changed.

The only thing different than when booked 4 months ago is the arrival time is 10 mins earlier.
Have you seen this before? It has been like this for 2 days.
Yea it usually works itself out.
tpsken likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Yes it's common. AA changes their schedules often when you book 4 months out.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
US DoT proposing rules to define what type of schedule changes will allow for a refund. There are several conditions which (if proposal remains unchanged) allow for a refund including:
  • Flight no longer on schedule
  • Changes >=3 hours for domestic and >6 hours for international
  • Downgraded aircraft
https://www.regulations.gov/document...2022-0089-0004
VegasGambler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.