Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by seawolf
that is the policy in place since April 8 2020. A four hour change is needed for what you are asking for.
Not as the wiki here (stated if > 2 hours, which is my case), anyways.. managed to get an agent to change it to a better timing albeit with an additional connection which does work for me.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Not as the wiki here (stated if > 2 hours, which is my case), anyways.. managed to get an agent to change it to a better timing albeit with an additional connection which does work for me.
Last update to the wiki was made by me in 2019.

2 hour was the previous policy.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: SE+, OWS
guys, just rebooked my ticket on call with AA, the website says "on request"... how long does it usually take? the last time i was waiting over a week and i had to call AA to reissue the ticket.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I just noticed that a Flagship Business (layflat) 777 flight I have in July from MIA to LAX changed to an A321neo (non-layflat). Schedule change was minimal, but I'm trying to get a supervisor to override and let me move to a Flagship Business flight. I specifically booked for the layflat seat...miles ticket.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewdawg199
I just noticed that a Flagship Business (layflat) 777 flight I have in July from MIA to LAX changed to an A321neo (non-layflat). Schedule change was minimal, but I'm trying to get a supervisor to override and let me move to a Flagship Business flight. I specifically booked for the layflat seat...miles ticket.
That should be an easy fix. If the supervisor won't agree just hang up and call again. Or ask for a travel credit and rebook.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
That should be an easy fix. If the supervisor won't agree just hang up and call again. Or ask for a travel credit and rebook.
Travel credit and rebook might result in a fare difference as AA went down from x4 to x1 daily wide-body on LAX-MIA for a long time period in late-spring and early-summer due to the shortage of wide-body aircraft.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
What's the current policy for changes AA makes to flights? We had a reservation for a nonstop flight that was changed a month ago to be 2:40 later (still nonstop) and then changed again last weekend to now have a connection. Our current itinerary leaves at the same time as the first change but arrives an additional 2 hours later (4:40 later than originally booked).

It is a web special award and current prices are a lot more miles. We still intend to take the trip but would be interested in shifting the flight a day or two if possible. The nonstop flight we were moved to after the first schedule change operates the day prior to our current reservation. Any chance they'd move us to that for no additional cost or should I try to find something better on the day of our original booking?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ZonaFlyer
What's the current policy for changes AA makes to flights? We had a reservation for a nonstop flight that was changed a month ago to be 2:40 later (still nonstop) and then changed again last weekend to now have a connection. Our current itinerary leaves at the same time as the first change but arrives an additional 2 hours later (4:40 later than originally booked).

It is a web special award and current prices are a lot more miles. We still intend to take the trip but would be interested in shifting the flight a day or two if possible. The nonstop flight we were moved to after the first schedule change operates the day prior to our current reservation. Any chance they'd move us to that for no additional cost or should I try to find something better on the day of our original booking?
The threshold used to be two hours, but unfortunately is now four hours.

It's the same threshold for refunding a non-refundable ticket. See: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...onrefundticket

That said, you can request a change and see if the agent goes for it. I wouldn't request more than one day difference.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:33 pm

Random DP/question: Was scheduled next month on AA 814, PHL-LAX, departing 320pm arriving 554pm. That flight no longer exists in May, so a schedule change automatically moved me to AA 956, departing 359pm arriving 647pm. I asked to be moved to AA 1011 (which is the next earlier flight, departing 149pm arriving 442pm) but they wouldn't do it voluntarily since there was no inventory left in the fare code I booked (I'm in R and they only have D left on the date I'm looking at). Is this a HUCA situation where I might get lucky with a different agent or am I SOL unless R opens up on that flight (or is the fare code completely irrelevant and I was mislead and/or the agent was just wrong)? On the date I'm looking at, EF says AA 1011 is J7 C7 D7 R0 I0, so I guess if I do in fact need R there's a possibility I'll get lucky but who knows.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
Originally Posted by anabolism
The threshold used to be two hours, but unfortunately is now four hours.

That said, you can request a change and see if the agent goes for it. I wouldn't request more than one day difference.
An agent was able to move us one day prior, no problem. Maybe it helped that it was the same flight we had before the latest change, but I was prepared to mention the 4+ hour change in arrival time since original booking. Unfortunately, we were in MCE before by using some coupons from last year's AAdvantage game and although the agent could see that, we need to wait for coupons to redeposit to get MCE again. I'm not sure why the auto rebooking can keep MCE but the agents can't.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Random DP/question: Was scheduled next month on AA 814, PHL-LAX, departing 320pm arriving 554pm. That flight no longer exists in May, so a schedule change automatically moved me to AA 956, departing 359pm arriving 647pm. I asked to be moved to AA 1011 (which is the next earlier flight, departing 149pm arriving 442pm) but they wouldn't do it voluntarily since there was no inventory left in the fare code I booked (I'm in R and they only have D left on the date I'm looking at). Is this a HUCA situation where I might get lucky with a different agent or am I SOL unless R opens up on that flight (or is the fare code completely irrelevant and I was mislead and/or the agent was just wrong)? On the date I'm looking at, EF says AA 1011 is J7 C7 D7 R0 I0, so I guess if I do in fact need R there's a possibility I'll get lucky but who knows.
Definitely HUCA, a good agent should have no problem with that. When you call, don't mention anything about the first call, just start over fresh.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:01 am

These rules seem to be enforced at the discretion of the agent at the moment, so HUCA can pay dividends as long as you don't press the issue far enough that an agent leaves a note in the PNR.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Definitely HUCA, a good agent should have no problem with that. When you call, don't mention anything about the first call, just start over fresh.
The official rule is same inventory (booking code) required for changes of less than 4 hours. However looks like AA recently loosened up and is allowing changes without requiring same inventory if change is 61 minutes or more. Whether you can find an agent to not enforce this rule is YMMV.

Refund still require a change of 241 minutes or more.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
The official rule is same inventory (booking code) required for changes of less than 4 hours. However looks like AA recently loosened up and is allowing changes without requiring same inventory if change is 61 minutes or more. Whether you can find an agent to not enforce this rule is YMMV.

Refund still require a change of 241 minutes or more.
But either way I'm probably screwed because my schedule was only changed by 53 minutes? (I've never been totally sure how to calculate the total time of a change, but that's the difference in arrival times.) Haven't had a chance to call back yet but will hopefully be able to later today and will give it one more shot.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
But either way I'm probably screwed because my schedule was only changed by 53 minutes? (I've never been totally sure how to calculate the total time of a change, but that's the difference in arrival times.) Haven't had a chance to call back yet but will hopefully be able to later today and will give it one more shot.
What you're asking for is totally reasonable so I would HUCA at least a few more times (easier said than done I get). All it takes is just one decent agent and you'll be set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.