Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
It was a 777 to a Dreamliner. Personally, I hate the Dreamliner seat layout for the front row of MCE on an international trip, and have a few perception issues against the 787 since some were recalled by the manufacturer.
I think practically every class of aircraft had an issue or two when it first started out: the 787 introduction has been pretty smooth.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I think practically every class of aircraft had an issue or two when it first started out: the 787 introduction has been pretty smooth.
The Li-Ion battery has been smooth!? Although I don’t think the posters concern is valid anymore. perhaps if he was flying a Bolt made by GM lol
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
The Li-Ion battery has been smooth!? Although I don’t think the posters concern is valid anymore. perhaps if he was flying a Bolt made by GM lol
The maintenance concerns are supplementary to loss of, when booked, two seats at the front of MCE on 777 (vs 3 on 787).

I called AA and the first agent I spoke to was quite happy to move me with no pushback whatsoever, even with the basic economy ticket.

Back to my original question… an unacceptable equipment change even in basic economy is clearly eligible (I.e., non-discretionary) for a refund per the International (not domestic) conditions of carriage. However, it isn’t clear (at least to me) whether rebooking on an alternative flight is only discretionary or not. I guess it comes down to the interpretation of “resulting from the rerouting” wording in the conditions of carriage. Some of the above responses indicate it is discretionary and therefore not required on the part of AA.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by RedElmo
It was actually very smooth. The 787 was a in very, very early production stage when it was grounded - in January 2017: a total of about 60 aircraft had been delivered. The battery issue was dealt with and the aircraft have all returned to service. Nearly 1,000 787s have been delivered since then. Since the plane entered service in 2011, there has not been a single loss of a 787. Not. One.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
The maintenance concerns are supplementary to loss of, when booked, two seats at the front of MCE on 777 (vs 3 on 787).

I called AA and the first agent I spoke to was quite happy to move me with no pushback whatsoever, even with the basic economy ticket.

Back to my original question… an unacceptable equipment change even in basic economy is clearly eligible (I.e., non-discretionary) for a refund per the International (not domestic) conditions of carriage. However, it isn’t clear (at least to me) whether rebooking on an alternative flight is only discretionary or not. I guess it comes down to the interpretation of “resulting from the rerouting” wording in the conditions of carriage. Some of the above responses indicate it is discretionary and therefore not required on the part of AA.
I don't think it comes down to interpretation of “resulting from the rerouting” so much as interpretation of how much impact the equipment change has and therefore if a change should be treated as voluntary or involuntary. Glad you got it modified to your satisfaction.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
quick question.

have an AA itinerary for November which has had a number of flight changes and doesn't work for us anymore.

I spoke to an AA agent just now (regarding a different ticket which I cancelled) and asked about eligibility of moving flights or getting a refund.

For background, it's an International ticket UK - US with quite a few connection stops and includes AY metal on the return legs. The return journey changed timing wise to 75 mins earlier departure and 4 hours 35 mins later arrival.

The agent to me that we were eligible for a full refund but that it was not possible to move the ticket to next year - she said it was only possible to move flights to within a 24 hour window. Is that correct?

Getting a full refund is acceptable but we had a decent fare and so were hoping to move the flights to either April or June.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
quick question.

have an AA itinerary for November which has had a number of flight changes and doesn't work for us anymore.

I spoke to an AA agent just now (regarding a different ticket which I cancelled) and asked about eligibility of moving flights or getting a refund.

For background, it's an International ticket UK - US with quite a few connection stops and includes AY metal on the return legs. The return journey changed timing wise to 75 mins earlier departure and 4 hours 35 mins later arrival.

The agent to me that we were eligible for a full refund but that it was not possible to move the ticket to next year - she said it was only possible to move flights to within a 24 hour window. Is that correct?

Getting a full refund is acceptable but we had a decent fare and so were hoping to move the flights to either April or June.

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, that is correct. AA is not offering the flexibility that BA does regarding date changes.

If there is a schedule change or cancellation on an AA booking and if there are options available within -24/+24 hours of the original travel date, you are not permitted to move the dates free to a future date without paying fare difference.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately, that is correct. AA is not offering the flexibility that BA does regarding date changes.

If there is a schedule change or cancellation on an AA booking and if there are options available within -24/+24 hours of the original travel date, you are not permitted to move the dates free to a future date without paying fare difference.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Odd, given that that means we'll just take the money back and either rebook or do something else with the money rather than keeping it in AA's coffers but c'est la vie I guess.

Happy Friday!
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by chris1979
Thanks for the quick reply.

Odd, given that that means we'll just take the money back and either rebook or do something else with the money rather than keeping it in AA's coffers but c'est la vie I guess.

Happy Friday!
you’re lucky that it was a 4 hour delayed arrival. If it was three hours and 59 minutes, you would not be eligible for a refund or a date change without fare difference under the new, harsh rules.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: AA
Question: is this a case of HUCA?

Was booked in business on a Finnair codeshare, LAX - HEL - SVO. Finnair cancelled LAX - HEL. Looking to change to Qatar LAX - DOH - SVO. AAgent said I couldn't change to Qatar. Is that correct? (guidance below from Schedule change manual)

AA*(Codeshare) AA*/JB – operating carrier is AY/BA/IB/JL/QF

May book AA*/oneworld flight or oneworld prime, maintaining same origin/destination, same ticketed inventory or equivalent RBD inventory for ticketed fare when booking oneworld prime
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by golfer20

Was booked in business on a Finnair codeshare, LAX - HEL - SVO. Finnair cancelled LAX - HEL. Looking to change to Qatar LAX - DOH - SVO. AAgent said I couldn't change to Qatar. Is that correct? (guidance below from Schedule change manual)

May book AA*/oneworld flight or oneworld prime, maintaining same origin/destination, same ticketed inventory or equivalent RBD inventory for ticketed fare when booking oneworld prime
For a schedule change in advance you're not going to find any agent that's going to rebook you on QR for a North America to Europe itinerary. Especially not when there's plenty of other more reasonable alternatives available on JBV carriers, i.e. LAX-LHR-DME or connecting to another AY gateway like LAX-JFK-HEL-SVO, for example.
seawolf and golfer20 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by golfer20

You can certainly try, you might get an agent willing to do it. If you were booked on an AY prime flight, I think you'd have a much stronger case to ask to be rebooked on QR prime flights. Since you were booked on an AA codeshare on an AY-operated flight, it would be easier to ask for flights with AA or AY codes. Unfortunately, I don't see any on QR metal on a random date I checked (since you didn't say which dates you're flying). I did see LAX-ORD/JFK-HEL-SVO.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by anabolism
You can certainly try, you might get an agent willing to do it. If you were booked on an AY prime flight, I think you'd have a much stronger case to ask to be rebooked on QR prime flights. Since you were booked on an AA codeshare on an AY-operated flight, it would be easier to ask for flights with AA or AY codes. Unfortunately, I don't see any on QR metal on a random date I checked (since you didn't say which dates you're flying). I did see LAX-ORD/JFK-HEL-SVO.
Flight is in March - am thinking to wait until closer to departure, and see what the options are then. At least I have the fare locked in!
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
AA changed my international award destination city. Why am I having a hard time getting my points back? Anyone experience something similar or have thoughts.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anngi
AA changed my international award destination city. Why am I having a hard time getting my points back? Anyone experience something similar or have thoughts.
Just cancel it? The points will be refunded automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.