Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
US DoT proposing rules to define what type of schedule changes will allow for a refund. There are several conditions which (if proposal remains unchanged) allow for a refund including:
  • Flight no longer on schedule
  • Changes >=3 hours for domestic and >6 hours for international
  • Downgraded aircraft
https://www.regulations.gov/document...2022-0089-0004
Also adding connections, or changing airports at origin or destination.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I have a flight on 11/26 (Saturday after Thanksgiving) originally booked as a BA avios award for a domestic AA flight. Flight was canceled and auto-rebooked to a 7am, which is rough with an infant. Twitter team won't touch it because of the BA booking, even though my AAdvantage number is in there. Worth HUCA? Or is this the policy?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by njvandy
I have a flight on 11/26 (Saturday after Thanksgiving) originally booked as a BA avios award for a domestic AA flight. Flight was canceled and auto-rebooked to a 7am, which is rough with an infant. Twitter team won't touch it because of the BA booking, even though my AAdvantage number is in there. Worth HUCA? Or is this the policy?
The ticketing airline is in charge until the ticket goes under airport control about 24 hours before flight time.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
You can try to call AA again but probably would be unsuccessful.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yes. As others have said, call BA. They'll sort you out no problem. This has happened to me plenty of times. You can even be pretty creative and get a better timing/routing (within reason). Just be sure of exactly what you want and feed the new itinerary to the agent. The chat is great for stuff like this. If you get any pushback, you can always HUCA.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Wrong thread
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Tax refund?

I recently had a number of connecting flights switched to non-stops because of schedule changes. Some of them were done automatically and others at my request.

I was not automatically refunded the $5.60 TSA fee for each segment I will no longer fly. Has anyone had experience with this posting back to your CC in a few weeks or do you need to manually apply for a refund?

I'm more curious than anything else. My flights in question are all domestic but I could imagine with an international ticket the tax difference could be substantial.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I recently had a number of connecting flights switched to non-stops because of schedule changes. Some of them were done automatically and others at my request.

I was not automatically refunded the $5.60 TSA fee for each segment I will no longer fly. Has anyone had experience with this posting back to your CC in a few weeks or do you need to manually apply for a refund?

I'm more curious than anything else. My flights in question are all domestic but I could imagine with an international ticket the tax difference could be substantial.
If you manually apply for a refund you’ll get it back
njvandy likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:35 pm
Original Member

The $5.60 is per (one-way) trip and not necessarily by segment (non-stop vs a connection would still be $5.60).

The passenger facilities charges on the other hand would be by segment.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Elite, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium
Not sure if this is the right place but I think it might be closest. Was originally flying two days ago SLC -> PHL via PHX and had a cancellation and autorebook SLC -> CLT -> PHL. Had already been upgraded on both legs on the original legs, auto rebook put me into first as well.

Weirdly, I got cabin bonus award miles and loyalty points (75% bonus on the base) - is this expected?? I thought I had read that there were no cabin bonuses anymore. Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by pdeepak
Not sure if this is the right place but I think it might be closest. Was originally flying two days ago SLC -> PHL via PHX and had a cancellation and autorebook SLC -> CLT -> PHL. Had already been upgraded on both legs on the original legs, auto rebook put me into first as well.

Weirdly, I got cabin bonus award miles and loyalty points (75% bonus on the base) - is this expected?? I thought I had read that there were no cabin bonuses anymore. Thanks!
cabin bonus is calculated if method = distance. I think it does happen sometimes when you get revoked last minute.
also though of another example - when you book flight plus hotel vacation or whatever AA calls it it’s a special fare and they also calculate LP by distance so you get a cabin bonus as you would get if you flew on non AA OW airline
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Elite, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gateH15
cabin bonus is calculated if method = distance. I think it does happen sometimes when you get revoked last minute.
also though of another example - when you book flight plus hotel vacation or whatever AA calls it it’s a special fare and they also calculate LP by distance so you get a cabin bonus as you would get if you flew on non AA OW airline
Cheers, thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:16 am

Odd one here. I got caught up in the December/Jan schedule changes. New itinerary gives me an 8 hour layover at LHR and a 10pm arrival in BUD (earlier flight I was on cancelled). I tried to use the 300 mile rule to end the trip in ZAG. I've doe this before with AA tickets, for example movng the start of a trip from SOF (Bulgaria) to OTP (Romania). But the agent said it was not possible because it was a different country. I realise that Bulgaria and Romania (and Hungary and Croatia) are different countries, but I had assumed EU was considered one country for this purose. As I said I've previously done this on AA tickets and many times on BA tickets. Was I just lucky?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 12:41 pm
Original Member

HUACA? Give AA Twitter a try?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:08 pm

I just gave up! First agent took my whole itinerary (it was a pretty complex one to begin with: 4 legs each way). I gave her the new one which involved changes on both out and inbound. Worked on it for about 2 minutes and came back and said all the changes were done. Amazing!! Checked immediately and it was all wrong. Just changed me to all the automatic suggestions including insane layovers all over the place!! Spent the next 4 hours on chat with 2 agents. First guy insisted that I couldn’t do anymore free changes as I had “accepted” the earlier changes. Eventually got a supervisor who made all the changes except the final destination of Zagreb. No way was I going to start all over again. At least I had the chat history so it was relatively clear what had happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.