Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by String33
There aren’t any. There is now one flight that day. It leaves after the Lhr to phl flight. My travel time just went from 14 hours and one connection to 26 hours and at least two.

I’ll figure something out. They really should say something - I’ve already made reservations for stuff - what if I didn’t check until a few days before departure? It just seems like selling tickets on a flight and then scrubbing it shouldn’t be a thing. Thanks again!
Here's one option for you...Maybe not ideal, but it would get you to PHL the same night, and let's you maybe sleep in a bit instead of leaving first thing in the morning.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It seems like this shouldn’t be allowed. I understand things happen, but to disappear a flight and leave me stranded doesn’t seem right. I’ll give them a call and learn my fate. Thanks for your help.
You're not being left stranded.

Since there wasn't something close available the computer didn't auto-rebook you and you just need to call to get it sorted. Please research what flight options you would prefer before you call, as noted several times above.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:30 pm

There aren’t any. There is now one flight that day. It leaves after the Lhr to phl flight. My travel time just went from 14 hours and one connection to 26 hours and at least two.

I’ll figure something out. They really should say something - I’ve already made reservations for stuff - what if I didn’t check until a few days before departure? It just seems like selling tickets on a flight and then scrubbing it shouldn’t be a thing. Thanks again!
As others have mentioned, it's quite likely there'll be other schedule changes before then, and you have some time before flights fill up. Right now you effectively have a refundable ticket, so if it's a paid ticket and there's any chance your plans might change, I'd consider just waiting. In March or April (even May) you'll have a better idea what the options are, and I believe AA can move you to most AA metal and partner flights regardless of current pricing. If it's an award ticket, better to take care of it sooner, because while AA can force open award space on their own metal, they can't do so on partners and it looks like they don't fly to OSL.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PPro
I booked a web special First redemption at a great rate a long time ago, knowing the schedule would change. And it did, from a one stop same day itinerary (SEA-PHL-MIA), to a nonstop redeye (SEA-MIA). So well over a 4 hr time change. This is now within 30 days of travel so the schedule won't be changing again.

My personal schedule has changed also and the flight on a Monday isn't really useful to me, however if I could move it back to later in the week, say Thursday, it would be great. As I read the bulletin linked in the wiki, I can change my departure date by up to 7 days under these conditions, correct?

I have used schedule changes to get myself on a better flight the same or next day before, never attempted something further out than that, I just want to make sure what am I correctly due. In my experience the agents try to tell you they can't do anything on a web special unless you push them on AA making the change, not the customer, or HUCA.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HiAperture
I booked a web special First redemption at a great rate a long time ago, knowing the schedule would change. And it did, from a one stop same day itinerary (SEA-PHL-MIA), to a nonstop redeye (SEA-MIA). So well over a 4 hr time change. This is now within 30 days of travel so the schedule won't be changing again.

My personal schedule has changed also and the flight on a Monday isn't really useful to me, however if I could move it back to later in the week, say Thursday, it would be great. As I read the bulletin linked in the wiki, I can change my departure date by up to 7 days under these conditions, correct?

I have used schedule changes to get myself on a better flight the same or next day before, never attempted something further out than that, I just want to make sure what am I correctly due. In my experience the agents try to tell you they can't do anything on a web special unless you push them on AA making the change, not the customer, or HUCA.
IME these kinds of situations are completely YMMV depending on the agent you get, as you said.

Even the saleslink doc in the wiki is a bit unclear, for changes over 61 mins it says you can book within 24 hours of original departure or +/- 7 days...so which is it (?).

Honestly I'm guessing you will have a hard time with getting a new flight a few days later, given that this is a normal domestic itinerary and there are ample other AA options on your original departure date. But you never know, give it a few HUCA's, worst they can say is no.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by yakel
As others have noted, this has happened to many of us. As you were informed to do, you have to call and see what they come up with. Doubt that a flight will magically 'come back'. In my mind, there's no reason to wait and wonder; a good flight might be available but with limited seats, and you could miss out by waiting. This is what happens these days as schedules change. It's no longer the case in my experience these last couple of years that AA contacts you right away, even when you purchase a ticket in premium class.
In my experience, AA (unlike other airlines) almost never contacts me when there are schedule changes, even ones that the system can't auto-rebook. Personally, I subscribe to Expert Flyer and set Schedule Change alerts for all my flights. However, these don't detect flight cancellations.

It seems like this shouldn’t be allowed. I understand things happen, but to disappear a flight and leave me stranded doesn’t seem right. I’ll give them a call and learn my fate.
It is frustrating, and in my experience every other airline notifies passengers when flight schedules change or flights are cancelled. For agency-created bookings, AA does notify the agency, who then notifies the passenger. But for AA-created bookings, in my experience, usually AA does not notify me.

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Instead of putting your 'fate' in their hands, take a look first and find flights that you'd want to take of what exists out there now for your dates. Then, when you call in, tell the agent what flights you want.
Exactly this. Check first, then call. That way you're much more likely to get flights you're happy with, and it makes the agent's job easier, which I think makes it easier for them to do what you want.

Originally Posted by HiAperture

I'd suggest sending a Twitter DM to AA with your name, the PNR, note the schedule change, and list the flights and dates you want to be changed to.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver Medallion
No more redeye lie-flat LAX-MIA on AA metal

I see that in the coming months AA is eliminating overnight widebody service between LAX and MIA, and as this affects an itinerary of mine I have two questions I’d appreciate some feedback on:

First, is there a relatively reasonable chance AA adds a widebody back on the overnight between now and then? Flight is leaving LA the night of 5/26 (Memoriao Day weekend). I am guessing they took the 77W off for the TATL summer season and I am therefore likely out of luck, but am setting up the usual alerts just in case.

Second, is it worth calling in to ask for a longer routing via JFK + MIA? Or to see if they can switch us to a JetBlue flight for the overnight (I have never tried Mint but it’s on my list)? I think that second one seems like a pipe dream since it’s not exactly the geography covered by the “Northeast Alliance” but if anybody’s had success, I’m all ears.

I’m willing to (grudgingly) accept the downgrade to recliner seats for the reasons outlined below, for those interested in reading on. But before accepting, I wanted to check with more seasoned AA fliers. I usually qualify for mid-level elite status on UA and DL, but am pretty unfamiliar with AA.

Flying from LAX to Anguilla (AXA) right before Memorial Day 2023. AA offers the only nonstop from mainland US to AXA, so there is a pretty limited universe of options available absent an extra change in SJU or SXM. The MIA/AXA segment operates just once weekly, as well.

Originally booked the 77W for the redeye portion of our journey specifically for the lie-flat seating in J. This weekend, AA changed both redeye flights that night to the 321neo - so no more lie-flats for us.

Based on EF, it also appears that the MIA-AXA portion of our itin is entirely sold out up front now (C0, J0, etc). As it’s a nearly 3 hour flight immediately following a redeye, sitting up front is pretty important - and I’m nervous to start messing with a ticket and risk losing those seats in reissuing, etc.

FWIW, our tickets were about $1900pp at purchase. Presumably due to the once-weekly and oversold nature of the route/dates, the same tickets are now over $6k per person (highway robbery for the recliner seats they’re selling, but I digress). And even with an extra stop, nobody else will get us there for a better price now - So I also am not willing to cancel and refund.

Not the end of the world, and I’m still spending a week in Anguilla regardless, but appreciate any insight from this group if available. Cheers!
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by LAXtoCHI
First, is there a relatively reasonable chance AA adds a widebody back on the overnight between now and then? Flight is leaving LA the night of 5/26 (Memoriao Day weekend).
It's anyone's guess, but my guess would be that AA is unlikely to restore it for May.

Originally Posted by LAXtoCHI
Second, is it worth calling in to ask for a longer routing via JFK + MIA? Or to see if they can switch us to a JetBlue flight for the overnight (I have never tried Mint but it’s on my list)? I think that second one seems like a pipe dream since it’s not exactly the geography covered by the “Northeast Alliance” but if anybody’s had success, I’m all ears.
If there was a schedule/equipment change within 72 hours of departure, you'd stand a better chance of being put on a B6 flight. If you can find an AA code on it, that would help. In my view, asking to be rerouted LAX-JFK-MIA is reasonable because it preserves your lie-flat seats on the transcon and because all flights are AA prime, which is easier for agents to book you in without refaring, citing schedule change. I'd suggest sending a Twitter DM to AA around 8 AM CT, giving your name, PNR, note the equipment change on the transcon, and the specific AA flights you want to be moved to. If that fails, try calling. If you get an unsympathetic/unhelpful agent, politely thank them, say you'll think about it, or say that you have to hang up because someone just walked into your office (you want to get off the phone without the agent leaving negative notes in the PNR). Assuming the flight timings of your desired flights work, AA should be able to change LAX-MIA for LAX-JFK-MIA without touching the MIA-AXA flight.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:37 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice for some flights which I can no longer take for personal reasons.
It's BUD->LHR->JFK->LAX->HNL return in business in early March, on BA and AA.

The flights have shuffled around a bit since booking but the call centre agent says it must be more than 4 hours to qualify for a refund. Is there any chance they might change by more than 4 hours in the next 1.5 months? They're all fairly frequent routes apart from maybe LAX-HNL so I think it's unlikely?

The agent was quite confused about it being from BUD and not in USD, but she did suggest that I might be able to change the journey to something else, as long as it started in BUD, and either pay or get a refund voucher of any fare difference. Does anyone have any experience of this?
- Would I be able to change it to a cheap flight e.g. BUD -> LHR (maybe even in economy), and take most of the value as a voucher?
- I assume the voucher would be valid for a year and could only be used on flights booked through AA.com? Any other restrictions to be aware of?
- She suggested there would be no AA change fees but might be some from BA. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated, thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tazxxx
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice for some flights which I can no longer take for personal reasons.

The flights have shuffled around a bit since booking but the call centre agent says it must be more than 4 hours to qualify for a refund. Is there any chance they might change by more than 4 hours in the next 1.5 months? They're all fairly frequent routes apart from maybe LAX-HNL so I think it's unlikely?

The agent was quite confused about it being from BUD and not in USD, but she did suggest that I might be able to change the journey to something else, as long as it started in BUD, and either pay or get a refund voucher of any fare difference. Does anyone have any experience of this?
- Would I be able to change it to a cheap flight e.g. BUD -> LHR (maybe even in economy), and take most of the value as a voucher?
- I assume the voucher would be valid for a year and could only be used on flights booked through AA.com? Any other restrictions to be aware of?
- She suggested there would be no AA change fees but might be some from BA. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If your flights are only 1.5 months out now then the schedules are pretty much set, not likely to have any further major schedule changes.

Typically the country of origin and/or the currency the ticket was issued in cannot change, so anything else you change to must also originate in BUD/Hungary. You can cancel for no fee and get a credit, but whatever you use the credit on still must originate in BUD.

Also since AA issued the ticket it's AA change fees that matter (or lack thereof), BA is not going to charge you anything additional.

You could try changing to something else cheap, then get a credit for the difference, but I'm honestly not sure if the credit will be available to use on anything at aa.com or only for something departing BUD. I'm not sure if AA can sell you just BUD-LHR but you can find BUD-JFK roundtrips for $500 all winter, for example.

If you are 100% certain that you can't travel then I would call and change to a cheap BUD-JFK roundtrip in economy, pick a cheap date as far into the future as you can, and just see what kind of credit AA issues for the remainder. You have nothing to lose really.
tazxxx likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:50 am

The most important question is which airline issued the ticket (how did you originally book it)? Assuming you booked it with AA and this is an AA ticket, then if there is no change fee, you can simply cancel and get a credit. The credit will be valid for one year (from either the date you cancel and get the credit or the original ticketing date, depending on what kind of credit you get). The credit will be restricted, depending on what kind of credit, it may only be usable by you, and may only be usable for travel starting in Hungary. You might be able to change it to a cheap ticket from BUD to anywhere AA can ticket and receive the fare difference as a new credit that isn't restricted to originating in BUD, but I'm not sure.

One thing to check is the date of the original ticket, because AA reinstated change fees on travel originating outside the U.S. If your ticket was purchased before the change fee reinstatement then you won't have a change fee, but if it was purchased afterwards, there might be a hefty change fee. If so, you can try calling and hope to get a sympathetic agent willing to waive the change fee.
tazxxx likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

In this case, also it's essential to know if there were only schedule changes or cancellations involved. Since the OP's departure point is Hungary, EC261/2004 would be in effect where the OP could request a full refund if one of his flights are cancelled, even those if the timings remain the same. The US DoT also has similar rules. However, if the flight numbers remained the same and the only changes were minor timing adjustments, then I am sorry OP, your only option would be to take a voucher or change your dates.

Also, please note that AA wouldn't be able to issue a BUD-LHR ticket as they do not have the authority to do so. If the voucher is issued in HUF, and if there is a requirement to start at Hungary, then your only option would be to change something that AA is allowed to sell ( in this case travel to or via North America )
tazxxx likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I'm having some problems to fix an international, multicity itinerary that had a big cancellation on the return portion.
The trip is next May, the original return was RAP-ORD-HEL-BUD and ORD-HEL on AY got cancelled with no other options to HEL that day. AA did not rebook the TATL flight, leaving a gap in the return routing.
At this point, what I want is to rebook on this routing: RAP-DFW-LHR-HEL-BUD

Unfortunately I'm having some issues to find someone at AA able to do that.
The Webchat agent pulled out the excuse that the rebooking must have the same number of legs of the original booking, and when challenged that was not a rule, he told me he was not empowered to do anything different.
The phone agent was willing to book that routing, but then she told me it was impossible at this moment to book any LHR-HEL because AY has not confirmed yet that their flights will take place... or something like this. (Of course all these flights are already on sale on AY website... )

Are things so complicated at AA that you need some special agent to help in a multi-city rebooking? I know the trip is 3 months away, but if it's possible to have partner's flights confirmed when booking 6 months in advance, why all these issues with a rebooking?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Lefly
I'm having some problems to fix an international, multicity itinerary that had a big cancellation on the return portion.
The trip is next May, the original return was RAP-ORD-HEL-BUD and ORD-HEL on AY got cancelled with no other options to HEL that day. AA did not rebook the TATL flight, leaving a gap in the return routing.

The Webchat agent pulled out the excuse that the rebooking must have the same number of legs of the original booking, and when challenged that was not a rule, he told me he was not empowered to do anything different.
The phone agent was willing to book that routing, but then she told me it was impossible at this moment to book any LHR-HEL because AY has not confirmed yet that their flights will take place... or something like this. (Of course all these flights are already on sale on AY website... )

Are things so complicated at AA that you need some special agent to help in a multi-city rebooking? I know the trip is 3 months away, but if it's possible to have partner's flights confirmed when booking 6 months in advance, why all these issues with a rebooking?
Was this purchased with cash or miles?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lefly

Assuming this is a paid (not a mileage award) ticket, it's best to research your preferred flights using Expert Flyer, to verify that the flight is visible there and has inventory available in your ticketed cabin. See if your preferred flights are available as AA codes, because it's much easier for AA agents to rebook you on AA codes. (If your original ticket had flights booked as non-AA codes and you want to preserve that, you can argue for that.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.