Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pjs
Just to follow up, I was able to switch her to the midday BOS-ORD nonstop in F so I guess there must be something to this 300-mile rule. Now she can check her bag all the way through in BOS and meet us at the Flagship Lounge in T3 before we have to head to T5.
Looking at your original post above, I notice you say you are on separate itineraries. Be aware that AA usually will not check through on separate tickets even AA to AA, so don't be surprised if you have to collect bags and recheck in at ORD.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:34 am
pjs

Originally Posted by wrp96
Looking at your original post above, I notice you say you are on separate itineraries. Be aware that AA usually will not check through on separate tickets even AA to AA, so don't be surprised if you have to collect bags and recheck in at ORD.
Sorry if it wasn't clear but she is on a (now) BOS-ORD-DOH-NBO award ticket and we are on ATL-ORD-DOH-NBO award tickets. Each is one itinerary all the way just had to book her separately because she has a different origin.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pjs
Sorry if it wasn't clear but she is on a (now) BOS-ORD-DOH-NBO award ticket and we are on ATL-ORD-DOH-NBO award tickets. Each is one itinerary all the way just had to book her separately because she has a different origin.
Oh good. Glad you won't be caught out by that policy.
pjs likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Before you ask, I contacted the twitter team and they couldn't help.

Just got bit by the married segment rule. Booked SXM-CLT-STL last March for Jan 2023 because J seats were going fast (our preferred itinerary sold out in Feb!) Booked an overnight because the layover was 1:20 The I->D MCT is 1 hour, "so 1:20 is sufficient time to connect." But if we'd missed our flight because TSA was slow or baggage took a half-hour to arrive, since we had to go through Customs and Immigration and TSA, We'd be on our own for lodging at the last minute. I suppose there are rocking chairs in CLT. The layover went from 1:20 to 2:20 with the schedule change, so I tried to book the now-reasonable connection. No luck because they have to rebook the entire itinerary, and there's no availability on the SXM-CLT segment (of course not, we're in two of the seats already.) So, they moved us to the earliest flight the following day instead of the 11 am we'd originally booked so we could have a leisurely overnight. Can't change to a later flight because of married segments again.

Essentially, AA is saying, "You should have rolled the dice on connecting the same day because we think you can get through customs and re-clear security in 45 minutes (remember, doors shut 15 minutes early), and we're even giving you a whole 20 minutes more. Now, we've changed the schedule to be as inconvenient as possible for you, and we're not going to do anything to fix it."
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by iplaybass
Before you ask, I contacted the twitter team and they couldn't help.

Just got bit by the married segment rule. Booked SXM-CLT-STL last March for Jan 2023 because J seats were going fast (our preferred itinerary sold out in Feb!) Booked an overnight because the layover was 1:20 The I->D MCT is 1 hour, "so 1:20 is sufficient time to connect." But if we'd missed our flight because TSA was slow or baggage took a half-hour to arrive, since we had to go through Customs and Immigration and TSA, We'd be on our own for lodging at the last minute. I suppose there are rocking chairs in CLT. The layover went from 1:20 to 2:20 with the schedule change, so I tried to book the now-reasonable connection. No luck because they have to rebook the entire itinerary, and there's no availability on the SXM-CLT segment (of course not, we're in two of the seats already.) So, they moved us to the earliest flight the following day instead of the 11 am we'd originally booked so we could have a leisurely overnight. Can't change to a later flight because of married segments again.

Essentially, AA is saying, "You should have rolled the dice on connecting the same day because we think you can get through customs and re-clear security in 45 minutes (remember, doors shut 15 minutes early), and we're even giving you a whole 20 minutes more. Now, we've changed the schedule to be as inconvenient as possible for you, and we're not going to do anything to fix it."
To see if I'm understanding (and maybe help frame it in a way to AA that might get better response), if I'm parsing right I think there are 2 issues, somewhat separate:

1) You booked an overnight layover because you weren't comfortable with a short same-day connection time. Was this booked as a stopover, or just a normal connection? They later changed schedules such that the same-day connection would now be comfortable. Unfortunately, if the flights you actually booked didn't get changed, I don't think *this* would give reason to change for free. On the day of travel, you might be able to so a same-day change or standby to that flight when you get to CLT, especially if willing to travel in Economy on that last leg.

2) The flights you did book changed -- the 11am flight was dropped and you were moved to a 6am, is that correct? *This* would give you more leeway to ask for a change for free, regardless of award availability -- either to a later flight on that day, or even to the day before (which is what you really want). You'd want to open with that, focusing on the 6am not being good. Traveling that early may be good for your health (which may well be true -- my mother carefully schedules flights around sleep, medication, and meal considerations). And if that's the only option that day, maybe the whole reason for the stopover (you might have been meeting someone for breakfast) may be in vain now, so can they just book you on tthe same-day.

I suspect this'll be best done oh the phone, starting with the #2 schedule change and the issues it causes, and your proposed alternative(s).
iplaybass likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Looks like AA has cancelled the route from HND to DFW. I had initially a flight on AA metal from HND to DFW in Premium Economy and a connection prior from TPE to HND on JAL.
It was quite a hassle to rebook. I called and was told they need 1 day to contact JAL to change the first leg.
Then I checked on AA.com and found they downgraded the second leg from Premium Economy to Economy while waiting for JAL. I called them again and was told to wait for 5 days as it may take a long time for JAL to respond.
The next day I checked and found I have been rebooked with TPE-> NRT, stay overnight in Tokyo and NRT-> JFK in the morning on JAL, and then JFK to DFW all in Economy.
Tried to call them again and was hung up by the agent after waiting for 25 minutes to talk to him for no obvious reason.
Fortunately, I found flights on JAL on the website from TPE->NRT-> DFW with a short 1.5 hour connection. Although it's in Economy I'd rather be using JAL completely and forget about having to call AA the third time.
Quite a hassle and lesson learned is it is always easier to rebook by yourself...especially for flights involving AA partners.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by yjc281
Looks like AA has cancelled the route from HND to DFW. I had initially a flight on AA metal from HND to DFW in Premium Economy and a connection prior from TPE to HND on JAL.
It was quite a hassle to rebook. I called and was told they need 1 day to contact JAL to change the first leg.
Then I checked on AA.com and found they downgraded the second leg from Premium Economy to Economy while waiting for JAL. I called them again and was told to wait for 5 days as it may take a long time for JAL to respond.
The next day I checked and found I have been rebooked with TPE-> NRT, stay overnight in Tokyo and NRT-> JFK in the morning on JAL, and then JFK to DFW all in Economy.
Tried to call them again and was hung up by the agent after waiting for 25 minutes to talk to him for no obvious reason.
Fortunately, I found flights on JAL on the website from TPE->NRT-> DFW with a short 1.5 hour connection. Although it's in Economy I'd rather be using JAL completely and forget about having to call AA the third time.
Quite a hassle and lesson learned is it is always easier to rebook by yourself...especially for flights involving AA partners.
Looks like they also cancelled one of the LAX-HND flights !

Last edited by anc305; Oct 7, 2022 at 9:22 am
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by jmastron
To see if I'm understanding (and maybe help frame it in a way to AA that might get better response), if I'm parsing right I think there are 2 issues, somewhat separate:

1) You booked an overnight layover because you weren't comfortable with a short same-day connection time. Was this booked as a stopover, or just a normal connection? They later changed schedules such that the same-day connection would now be comfortable. Unfortunately, if the flights you actually booked didn't get changed, I don't think *this* would give reason to change for free. On the day of travel, you might be able to so a same-day change or standby to that flight when you get to CLT, especially if willing to travel in Economy on that last leg.

2) The flights you did book changed -- the 11am flight was dropped and you were moved to a 6am, is that correct? *This* would give you more leeway to ask for a change for free, regardless of award availability -- either to a later flight on that day, or even to the day before (which is what you really want). You'd want to open with that, focusing on the 6am not being good. Traveling that early may be good for your health (which may well be true -- my mother carefully schedules flights around sleep, medication, and meal considerations). And if that's the only option that day, maybe the whole reason for the stopover (you might have been meeting someone for breakfast) may be in vain now, so can they just book you on tthe same-day.

I suspect this'll be best done oh the phone, starting with the #2 schedule change and the issues it causes, and your proposed alternative(s).
Thanks. On the first point, they've changed both flights, and it was booked as a connection, not a stopover. I'd have less problems if I'd booked them separately, but didn't want to pay the extra $1000 at the time. The SXM-CLT leg moved 30 minutes earlier in conjunction with the same day moving back by 40 minutes, and the CLT-STL has moved earlier by 112 minutes. The issue is that because the segments are married, they can’t change any of the CLT-STL flights because there's no J availability SXM-CLT beyond the seats we already have. I suppose we could cancel and refare, but without J availability, I don't have any way to price it. I'd also run the risk of losing J and getting stuck in Y for 4+ hours on a 319. They’d have to wheel me off the plane because my back and knees would have locked.

Last edited by iplaybass; Oct 6, 2022 at 4:30 pm
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So, I have an AA saver award on AY metal that changed to several hours later arrival (which does not work for me because I have an onward flight on a separate ticket). Any chance you think I can switch to AA metal to a nearby destination (and what is the limit, how many miles away?)? AA does not have saver awards to Europe right now on their metal for my days, it is all anytime awards.... Do you think I can ask for UK/AMS/France/Germany on AA anytime metal?

Last edited by nk15; Oct 7, 2022 at 9:14 pm
Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nk15
So, I have an AA saver award on AY metal that changed to several hours later arrival (which does not work for me because I have an onward flight on a separate ticket). Any chance you think I can switch to AA metal to a nearby destination (and what is the limit, how many miles away?)? AA does not have saver awards to Europe right now on their metal for my days, it is all anytime awards.... Do you think I can ask for UK/AMS/France/Germany on AA anytime metal?
You can ask for anything but whether you'll get it is another story

When the schedule change is caused by another carrier AA is typically much less inclined to open up space on it's own flights, though it has happened on occasion before.

So if you have the time give AA a call and see what they'll do, it will probably take a few HUCA's but you never know.

Also sometimes 300/500 miles away are arbitrary limits however that entirely depends on the issue and waiver type, in this case it will be irrelevant as the closest AA metal destination to HEL is almost 1k miles away. AMS, MUC, FRA are the closest at just under 1k miles away so I'd probably ask specifically for one of those.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by nk15
One option might be to try and get to HEL from another destination on AY that has a better arrival time. No idea what your itinerary looks like but say your LAX-HEL got changed and the arrival is now too late for you, then maybe try to get from LAX to ORD or JFK on AA and then onward to HEL and then wherever your final destination using the separate ticket you already have. I’m not sure if changing your HEL arrival to LHR or AMS or whatever works, because then you would presumably need to change your HEL to final destination ticket to depart from LHR or AMS.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Thanks all, my connecting on separate tickets is flexible as they are with miles, so easier to change, but I am boxed in on both sides (departure and arrival) timewise in terms of this itinerary, as I have to leave work and then be in Europe the next day for a holiday.

AY moved all three of their US flights simultaneously to evening/night US departures and afternoon arrivals to HEL, rendering all these flights somewhat problematic for further same day connections.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
This might be a rather niche edge case but wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I’ve got an HNL-DFW-DEN-LHR-BUD in January. Original LhR-BUD is cancelled getting me to BUD over 7 hours later at 10pm and turns a comfy sub 2hr layover at LHR into a 10hr marathon. There’s no other way to get there sooner. So I proposed to substitute DEN for SEA. It’s a valid itinerary that I can price on aa.com. The schedule change is obviously well over 241 minutes. I’m not changing departure or origin. This doesn’t get me home any sooner but I do get a later departure for the overnight flight (DEN-LHR leaves at 4:30pm!!) and a shorter more manageable layover in London.

Last agent first told me it wasn’t a valid itinerary (it is) then said some nonsense about how I couldn’t change destination (destination is still BUD!!) then tried to reroute me on HNL-LAX (I specifically booked via DFW to get flatbed). I had the impression that over 241 minutes gave me carte blanche to make changes (within reason). It’s not like I’m turning an SFO-LAX into SFO-JFK-LAX. And as far as I can tell it is within the published guidelines.

Worth trying again??

Last edited by RichieMc; Oct 12, 2022 at 4:41 pm
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by RichieMc
This might be a rather niche edge case but wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I’ve got an HNL-DFW-DEN-LHR-BUD in January. Original LhR-BUD is cancelled getting me to BUD over 7 hours later at 10pm and turns a comfy sub 2hr layover at LHR into a 10hr marathon. There’s no other way to get there sooner. So I proposed to substitute DEN for SEA. It’s a valid itinerary that I can price on aa.com. The schedule change is obviously well over 241 minutes. I’m not changing departure or origin. This doesn’t get me home any sooner but I do get a later departure for the overnight flight (DEN-LHR leaves at 4:30pm!!) and a shorter more manageable layover in London.

Last agent first told me it wasn’t a valid itinerary (it is) then said some nonsense about how I couldn’t change destination (destination is still BUD!!) then tried to reroute me on HNL-LAX (I specifically booked via DFW to get flatbed). I had the impression that over 241 minutes gave me carte blanche to make changes (within reason). It’s not like I’m turning an SFO-LAX into SFO-JFK-LAX. And as far as I can tell it is within the published guidelines.

Worth trying again??
The MPM x 1.25 for Budapest to Honolulu is 11941 miles.
The deductions are following so we would add another 550 miles for your case.

11941 + 550 = 12491 miles
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES BETWEEN ORIGIN AND DESTINATION
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 550 MILES APPLIES
WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA DFW
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 550 MILES APPLIES
WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA CHI AND/OR RDU AND/OR MIA AND/OR
CLT
TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 2500 MILES APPLIES
WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA DOH
HNL-DFW-DEN-LHR-BUD is 10024 miles, and HNL-DFW-SEA-LHR-BUD is 11172 miles and permitted by the MPM.
So, your routing is permitted within the guidelines.

This looks like a total HUACA case. You should be able to change the flights via Seattle, however, be aware that the flights must be operated by an Atlantic Joint Business partner. By any change, an Alaska Airlines operated flight would not be permitted for this involuntary rebooking.
RichieMc likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
MIA-CDG going away?

It looks like AA62 (MIA-CDG) is only loaded through Mar. 24. Is it going away, or are we likely to see it loaded as we get closer to next year? It looks like AF is flying MIA-CDG 2x/day next summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.