Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Just tell the Twitter agent or EXP agent what AA flights you want and say they made a multi hour schedule change. Has literally never not worked for me.​​​​
ceebee100, Antarius and zip10001 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Just tell the Twitter agent or EXP agent what AA flights you want and say they made a multi hour schedule change. Has literally never not worked for me.​​​​
Has usually worked for me as well, but in the past year, it’s taking more HUCAs. I actually don’t know if it’s because the agents are purposely trying to drive pax away, in the hopes that mgt will do better, or not knowing the rules, or being told no longer to deviate from them, which happened at UA after the CO takeover. And the reason I left UA for AA.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:18 pm

OP I had the same issue with the Twitter team earlier in the year. Called in, had no wait, and they immediately changed me to the flight I wanted without any pushback or issue whatsoever. The Twitter team has been basically perfect for me otherwise but I do wonder if they're being more stingy with schedule changes (maybe a memo went out internally or something, who knows).
dciolli likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:44 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve never been refused, but it has also often had the same booking class available. Ie- I haven’t waited until the day before departure to ask for my basic eco ticket to get rebooked in full Y. I imagine this is more of a problem if you let them pile up to try to use it as a free change waiver close to departure.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Jul 14, 2022 at 5:50 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:50 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

This departs significantly from “book whatever you want after a schedule change as an even exchange” based on this language for basic economy. Specifically, only up to H class. It does also mention automation auto opening basic eco space for elite members after sked changes, so there can be a huge variation in how American treats you after a schedule change based on who you are. There is always been a sort of X factor with AA’ on why people are treated differently for the same query. This explains it.

AA*/JB flights with a schedule change that is greater than 1 hour (61+ minutes)
may book the 1st available flight before/after the affected flight in the original
ticketed inventory or up to H inventory is allowed

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Jul 14, 2022 at 6:04 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:06 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Of course, there’s no agency sales reference for award tickets, so maybe someone can leak those to us?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
This departs significantly from “book whatever you want after a schedule change as an even exchange” based on this language for basic economy. Specifically, only up to H class. It does also mention automation auto opening basic eco space for elite members after sked changes, so there can be a huge variation in how American treats you after a schedule change based on who you are. There is always been a sort of X factor with AA’ on why people are treated differently for the same query. This explains it.

AA*/JB flights with a schedule change that is greater than 1 hour (61+ minutes)
may book the 1st available flight before/after the affected flight in the original
ticketed inventory or up to H inventory is allowed
The other question is whether this means that they will open up an H bucket seat in some cases (as in they open H as opposed to just putting you in full fare Y) or whether they'll tell you to pound sand if there isn't any.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Of course, there’s no agency sales reference for award tickets, so maybe someone can leak those to us?
Why would an agency have a sales reference for award tickets?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:24 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

It doesn’t exist. I was suggesting the leak of the internal AA rules regarding sked changes on awards.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:27 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Originally Posted by Antarius
The other question is whether this means that they will open up an H bucket seat in some cases (as in they open H as opposed to just putting you in full fare Y) or whether they'll tell you to pound sand if there isn't any.
The way I read it is that they don’t allow (travel agents) to open anything. If your ticketed booking class isn’t available, they can rebook you in higher inventory up to H but not above. If that results in no flights available, then I guess you have to take the refund or they have to escalate to American for a waiver code. That little section I quoted above was for basic economy tickets.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
HUACA?
JJeffrey and LBBflyer like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:27 am

I had a "supervisor" tell me the same thing last night. No changes on award tickets for a large schedule change unless its the same number of miles. Award tickets already have the ability to refund in full so basically there is no additional rights during a schedule change.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So, I had a schedule change about 3 weeks ago that was a bit vexxing. I'll give some examples (flight numbers and cities are theoretical):

Flight #555 departing DCA at 8:00 AM and arriving MIA at 10:45 AM
Flight #999 departing MIA at 12:45 PM and arriving AUA at 3:45 PM

I picked this pair because A) it was a cheap award special at 22,500 miles and I always like a little spacing between my international flights (#1 to account for delays and #2 for an hour at the Centurion Lounge) and B) two friends coming from different cities were planning on meeting up in MIA and were booked on the same MIA-AUA flight (AA 999).

AA did one of its famous Sunday schedule changes, and my itinerary was changed as follows:

Flight #555 departing DCA at 7:40 AM and arriving MIA at 10:25 AM
Flight #1645 departing MIA at 11:16 AM and arriving AUA at 2:20 PM

Looking at the change, AA changed the time of AA 555 by about 20 minutes. No issues there. But then AA arbitrarily switched me to an earlier MIA-AUA flight (AA 16450 that 1) had a 50-minute (albeit legal) connection time in MIA, and 2) got me into AUA 1.5 hour earlier than initially booked. But, I was now separated from my friends who were still on AA 999. Going onto AA.com, I found that AA's scheduled flight times for AA 999 did not change at all, but now if I wanted AA 555 and AA 999, that routing was now 33,500 miles.

After confirming that both friends were still on AA 999, I called and asked to be put back onto AA 999. I told the agent that the change to AA 555 was fine, but I wanted to be back on AA 999. Agent said ticket redemption rate had changed (i.e., no longer a web special), but she'd check into it. After about a 5-minute hold, the ticket was rebooked and I was back on the original two flights.

So, in my case, I got the change I wanted....
BERGBRLY likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So, I had a schedule change about 3 weeks ago that was a bit vexxing. I'll give some examples (flight numbers and cities are theoretical):

Flight #555 departing DCA at 8:00 AM and arriving MIA at 10:45 AM
Flight #999 departing MIA at 12:45 PM and arriving AUA at 3:45 PM

I picked this pair because A) it was a cheap award special at 22,500 miles and I always like a little spacing between my international flights (#1 to account for delays and #2 for an hour at the Centurion Lounge) and B) two friends coming from different cities were planning on meeting up in MIA and were booked on the same MIA-AUA flight (AA 999).

AA did one of its famous Sunday schedule changes, and my itinerary was changed as follows:

Flight #555 departing DCA at 7:40 AM and arriving MIA at 10:25 AM
Flight #1645 departing MIA at 11:16 AM and arriving AUA at 2:20 PM

Looking at the change, AA changed the time of AA 555 by about 20 minutes. No issues there. But then AA arbitrarily switched me to an earlier MIA-AUA flight (AA 16450 that 1) had a 50-minute (albeit legal) connection time in MIA, and 2) got me into AUA 1.5 hour earlier than initially booked. But, I was now separated from my friends who were still on AA 999. Going onto AA.com, I found that AA's scheduled flight times for AA 999 did not change at all, but now if I wanted AA 555 and AA 999, that routing was now 33,500 miles.

After confirming that both friends were still on AA 999, I called and asked to be put back onto AA 999. I told the agent that the change to AA 555 was fine, but I wanted to be back on AA 999. Agent said ticket redemption rate had changed (i.e., no longer a web special), but she'd check into it. After about a 5-minute hold, the ticket was rebooked and I was back on the original two flights.

So, in my case, I got the change I wanted....
Noticed the same with AA rebooking. It will rebook to shortest connection time. Like you my first flight (gives me 90 min connection at DFW) got scheduled changed by 3 minutes but got rebooked moved to a different flight leaving me with a 45 min connection.

This was done without issue several weeks ago. This thread is suggesting there is a change in policy.
_kurt likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think I could understand AA changing people to an earlier flight when a schedule change resulted in the "connection" now being more than four hours for a domestic itinerary, assuming that the original ticket wasn't a broken fare.

OTOH, if someone purchased a somewhat longer connection than necessary, the flight is still operating, and it's still a legal connection, I don't see how AA could insist on the rebooked tight connection. I suspect that DOT would disapprove even if it's not used as a way to avoid VDBs/IDBs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.