Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What you're asking for is totally reasonable so I would HUCA at least a few more times (easier said than done I get). All it takes is just one decent agent and you'll be set.
Literally just got off the phone (somehow, no wait at all!) and they switched me with no problem whatsoever (and it looks like rebooked me into D, not that I think it makes any difference now). Who knows, but maybe it helped that this time I mentioned the original flight was cancelled as opposed to just saying there was a schedule change.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Random DP/question: Was scheduled next month on AA 814, PHL-LAX, departing 320pm arriving 554pm. That flight no longer exists in May, so a schedule change automatically moved me to AA 956, departing 359pm arriving 647pm. I asked to be moved to AA 1011 (which is the next earlier flight, departing 149pm arriving 442pm) but they wouldn't do it voluntarily since there was no inventory left in the fare code I booked (I'm in R and they only have D left on the date I'm looking at). Is this a HUCA situation where I might get lucky with a different agent or am I SOL unless R opens up on that flight (or is the fare code completely irrelevant and I was mislead and/or the agent was just wrong)? On the date I'm looking at, EF says AA 1011 is J7 C7 D7 R0 I0, so I guess if I do in fact need R there's a possibility I'll get lucky but who knows.
This is bullcrap. In my experience, once you're booked into a particular cabin - be it F, J, W, or Y, you're in that cabin. Buckets within that class should not matter. I've been in a S or N fare bucket and when there is a schedule change, they rebook me in coach - even when we're a couple of days out and there is no S or N availability left. Award itineraries on other carriers may yield different answers, but never on AA itself.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
If a domestic flight is changed from nonstop to one stop with a less than four hour time change, is that sufficient cause for a refund? If not, that's pretty crappy that you can book a nonstop, be bumped to a connection, and not be able to change unless there is sufficient inventory available in the booked class. Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
If a domestic flight is changed from nonstop to one stop with a less than four hour time change, is that sufficient cause for a refund? If not, that's pretty crappy that you can book a nonstop, be bumped to a connection, and not be able to change unless there is sufficient inventory available in the booked class. Thanks!
Nonstop to connection qualifies for a refund regardless of change to overall trip duration.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I've occasionally had American Express travel agents try to give me the "no fare class availability" song and dance, but I never remember getting it from AA directly. Sometimes AAgents will book you into Y or J. I had a bizarre experience last month where I was VDB'ed. It was a connection and I had already been upgraded on the second (longer) leg, and I knew there was first-class inventory on the same flight the next day, so I said I would take the VDB only if I could get confirmed in F for the following day. They booked me into J, and then I would up getting a cabin bonus for that leg in my loyalty points.

Last edited by redtop43; Apr 7, 2022 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:13 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by redtop43
I've occasionally had American Express travel agents try to give me the "no fare class availability" song and dance, but I never remember getting it from AA directly. Sometimes they will book you into Y or J. I had a bizarre experience last month where I was VDB'ed. It was a connection and I had already been upgraded on the second (longer) leg, and I knew there was first-class inventory on the same flight the next day, so I said I would take the VDB only if I could get confirmed in F for the following day. They booked me into J, and then I would up getting a cabin bonus for that leg in my loyalty points.
FWIW Travel agents would definitely enforce the policy to the letter else they risk a debit memo from the airline.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
This is bullcrap. In my experience, once you're booked into a particular cabin - be it F, J, W, or Y, you're in that cabin..
Not to be pedantic, but for clarification, AA protects you in your ticketed cabin, which is not necessarily your booked cabin. For example, a segment (500-mile) upgrade results in a confirmed reservation ("booked") in a higher cabin, but no change in your ticketed cabin. Likewise for a cleared SWU or miles+copay upgrade that has not yet been reticketed. Protection is the ticketed, unupgraded cabin.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Not sure if this is the right thread, but currently experiencing high frustration with AA and looking for some guidance.

Booked JFK-LAX-SFO return (as part of a larger itinerary) with AA for August and got some notifications about schedule changes over the weekend, so had a proper look this morning:
JFK - LAX - I've been moved from the AA341 (15.30 JFK departure) to the 16.15 JFK departure (AA185). It may not seem like a big change, but it shortens the connection time at LAX and my AA341 is still running according to EF and the AA agent I spoke with, so no idea why the change!
On the way back its worse - I have been moved to a direct SFO-JFK flight even though my SFO-LAX-JFK flights are all still running at the times I originally booked and under the same flight numbers. I requested to be moved back to all my original flights but was told because 'I' class is no longer available on those flights they can't move me and if they do it will be a voluntary change and thus incur fare differences! I was moved involuntarily for schedule changes which don't seem to exist and AA won't move be back to what I booked and paid for - surely the logic on AA's side is not correct and how do I actually get an agent to understand the logic for what I am asking for is sound and fair???!!

Pilot37
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Not sure if this is the right thread, but currently experiencing high frustration with AA and looking for some guidance.

Booked JFK-LAX-SFO return (as part of a larger itinerary) with AA for August and got some notifications about schedule changes over the weekend, so had a proper look this morning:
JFK - LAX - I've been moved from the AA341 (15.30 JFK departure) to the 16.15 JFK departure (AA185). It may not seem like a big change, but it shortens the connection time at LAX and my AA341 is still running according to EF and the AA agent I spoke with, so no idea why the change!
On the way back its worse - I have been moved to a direct SFO-JFK flight even though my SFO-LAX-JFK flights are all still running at the times I originally booked and under the same flight numbers. I requested to be moved back to all my original flights but was told because 'I' class is no longer available on those flights they can't move me and if they do it will be a voluntary change and thus incur fare differences! I was moved involuntarily for schedule changes which don't seem to exist and AA won't move be back to what I booked and paid for - surely the logic on AA's side is not correct and how do I actually get an agent to understand the logic for what I am asking for is sound and fair???!!

Pilot37
Just HUCA. A good agent will have no problem with your requests.
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:52 am

Yeah, sounds pretty similar to the same scenario I had - first time was told I needed specific fare availability, second they they moved me with no issue whatsoever.

That said, any reason you're not interested in the direct SFO-JFK? Aren't they both on the 321T? (Just curious, I realize there's often other concerns that arise.)
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:11 am
Original Member

Or give AA Twitter a try.

AA pushed out schedule changes last night in excess of 60 minutes (thus no original inventory required for rebooking). Called AA and got a response of any changes you request has to be reprice due to booking being a web special award.

Direct message AA Twitter with flights I want to be moved to. My requested flights were confirmed and ticketed by the time I woke up. Lol.
EXPLAT likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Apr 18, 2022 at 6:40 am
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used the twitter AA team but with a different but acceptable outcome. I’m EP, wife PP. She was upgraded on a flight to Hawaii, I wasn’t. Reached out to the twitter team and they processed a $150 copay, 15,000 upgrade.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I used the twitter AA team but with a different but acceptable outcome. I’m EP, wife PP. She was upgraded on a flight to Hawaii, I wasn’t. Reached out to the twitter team and they processed a $150 copay, 15,000 upgrade.
I thought the Twitter team is unable to do anything that requires payment (since they don't want people sending them credit card info via Twitter).
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:00 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by anabolism
I thought the Twitter team is unable to do anything that requires payment (since they don't want people sending them credit card info via Twitter).
My understanding as well. However it could be that had previously requested upgrade and provided info over the phone but for some system issue lower status spouse cleared and OP tweeted why higher status spouse didn’t.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Anyone have experience with a web special award (in F)? It was booked SJC-LAX-LHR with an original 2:30pm departure, but SJC-LAX was changed to a 9am flight (so more than 1 hour).

Agent on the phone said no co-terminals (ie. no SFO -LAX at the same time as original flight) and no Joint Business (so no BA). Seems fairly stringent. Is that right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.