Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
This would be very sad if true. In the past I have always found them to be very liberal on award changes after schedule change - literally any time/routing same day, which leads to an optimal award strategy of "book the cheapest award ticket that day and wait for a schedule change to get the flight you want". I have never had much luck with that on cash tickets though.
I recently have been able to inch my KOA flight from 11/24 (thanksgiving day) to 11/26 (my first choice but much higher miles than 11/24) and they weren’t the same miles. Did it a day at a time since the quoted post.

Any other data points?
perhaps it has to go with status, both times and first agent said no, but maybe the Plat Pro desk can (and did).

Any Plats with data points? I will be dropping from Plat Pro to Plat, and was going to try booking EWR-DFW-BUR with the hopes of converting to JFK-LAX.

is there a Plat desk like there is a Plat Pro desk? (My fall from grace as a long time expplat is nearly complete; I’ve been a happy free agent).
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Having some challenges rebooking the return of an international itinerary with a 6 hour schedule change from origin with a now 7-hour+ connection in LHR and the LHR-US segment upgraded with a (now-expired) SWU. Agent was only willing to rebook if SWU upgrade space was available (which appears to be consistent with the policy) but would not allow me to either drop the EU-LHR segment or switch cities for the outbound.

Is this a correct application of policy? Any workarounds? He kept insisting that since it was an international ticket I couldn't make any changes to cities, which seems like a ridiculous answer. At a minimum, they could have re-fared the return...
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by beachfan
I recently have been able to inch my KOA flight from 11/24 (thanksgiving day) to 11/26 (my first choice but much higher miles than 11/24) and they weren’t the same miles. Did it a day at a time since the quoted post.

Any other data points?
perhaps it has to go with status, both times and first agent said no, but maybe the Plat Pro desk can (and did).

Any Plats with data points? I will be dropping from Plat Pro to Plat, and was going to try booking EWR-DFW-BUR with the hopes of converting to JFK-LAX.

is there a Plat desk like there is a Plat Pro desk? (My fall from grace as a long time expplat is nearly complete; I’ve been a happy free agent).
I've had really good success lately with the in-app chat. I fly to and from JFK/EGE weekly. Fares are often $450+ round trip but booking out 300+ days I was able to get a bunch of flights for 6,000 miles going from EWR/XXX/EGE. I've had good success getting them to switch me to JFK/EGE based on a change to the operating carrier, and schedule changes of about an hour. EXP and have done more than a dozen changes in the past week.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’ve had good luck as Plat Pro but will be dropping down to Plat.

is there a Plat desk or is it the general desk. I’ve always had to be transferred to plat pro desk unless change is more than 4 hours. Worried that my luck will end then.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:41 pm
pjs

My (adult) daughter is flying BDL-ORD to meet the rest of us (flying ATL-ORD) and we are all flying ORD-DOH-NBO. These are separate award tickets as they originate in different locations. Her BDL-ORD flight was canceled and AA put her on a connection through DCA. I don't like the added northern connection in winter or the now much shorter connection in ORD (given the T3 to T5 switch). I was told by an AA phone agent that AA award tickets allow up to a 300 mile radius to switch airports on an award ticket due to a schedule change, so I could switch her to BOS if she can get there (or LGA, but that's less convenient for her). I'm trying to get them to allow her to join us on our flight from ATL-ORD and I'll fly her from BDL-ATL on DL the night before. AA says that's an extra 30-50k miles (depending on main vs. first) because it's an extra award ticket. Can anyone confirm that the 300 mile rule is a thing? Or can I HUCA and get someone to move her to the ATL flight without extra cost? Another option is to fly her on UA to ORD but then it's T1 to T5 (QR check-in) to T3 (Flagship) back to T5 so a giant pain for her. Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
My (adult) daughter is flying BDL-ORD to meet the rest of us (flying ATL-ORD) and we are all flying ORD-DOH-NBO. These are separate award tickets as they originate in different locations. Her BDL-ORD flight was canceled and AA put her on a connection through DCA. I don't like the added northern connection in winter or the now much shorter connection in ORD (given the T3 to T5 switch). I was told by an AA phone agent that AA award tickets allow up to a 300 mile radius to switch airports on an award ticket due to a schedule change, so I could switch her to BOS if she can get there (or LGA, but that's less convenient for her). I'm trying to get them to allow her to join us on our flight from ATL-ORD and I'll fly her from BDL-ATL on DL the night before. AA says that's an extra 30-50k miles (depending on main vs. first) because it's an extra award ticket. Can anyone confirm that the 300 mile rule is a thing? Or can I HUCA and get someone to move her to the ATL flight without extra cost? Another option is to fly her on UA to ORD but then it's T1 to T5 (QR check-in) to T3 (Flagship) back to T5 so a giant pain for her. Thanks.
I agree with your concern about the connection in DCA.

AA is being generous in offering to change to an airport within 300 miles. A schedule change in and of itself does not entitle the ticketholder to select a new departure point.

By any chance have you check to see if sAAver award space is available on your same flight from ATL to ORD? If it is, then call back. Don't even mention the schedule change and indicate that you would like to change the departure city on the ticket to NBO. It should be an even exchange. Of course, you would have to fly her to ATL on DL first.

The next best thing is a non-stop from BOS to ORD. Just get her to ORD with a big enough buffer between the flights. There should be plenty of options.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:38 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I agree with your concern about the connection in DCA.

AA is being generous in offering to change to an airport within 300 miles. A schedule change in and of itself does not entitle the ticketholder to select a new departure point.

By any chance have you check to see if sAAver award space is available on your same flight from ATL to ORD? If it is, then call back. Don't even mention the schedule change and indicate that you would like to change the departure city on the ticket to NBO. It should be an even exchange. Of course, you would have to fly her to ATL on DL first.

The next best thing is a non-stop from BOS to ORD. Just get her to ORD with a big enough buffer between the flights. There should be plenty of options.
Thanks. Definitely no saver space available. I offered to have her downgraded for that segment but no dice. At this point, I’ll just wait until she can confirm she can do the BOS flight and if not, fly her to ORD on UA nonstop.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
Thanks. Definitely no saver space available. I offered to have her downgraded for that segment but no dice. At this point, I’ll just wait until she can confirm she can do the BOS flight and if not, fly her to ORD on UA nonstop.
Just one other thing to consider -- if flying on UA she won't be protected in case of IRROPs. She will if she flies on an AA connection.
pjs likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Just one other thing to consider -- if flying on UA she won't be protected in case of IRROPs. She will if she flies on an AA connection.
worth noting the flat tire rule though
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA
Another data point: BA F USA-LHR-EUR (AA Codeshare), BA changed LHR-EUR such that my 4 hr layover became 11 hr. I wanted to move the flight two days earlier. Called EXP...
  • 1st AAgent - I can only rebook you +/- 24 hr, sorry, I'll leave your flight alone for now
  • 2nd AAgent - sure no problem
2nd AAgent had to call tariff and I ended up on a new ticket number (miles should post as a special fare now).
donotblink likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by golfer20
Another data point: BA F USA-LHR-EUR (AA Codeshare), BA changed LHR-EUR such that my 4 hr layover became 11 hr. I wanted to move the flight two days earlier. Called EXP...
  • 1st AAgent - I can only rebook you +/- 24 hr, sorry, I'll leave your flight alone for now
  • 2nd AAgent - sure no problem
2nd AAgent had to call tariff and I ended up on a new ticket number (miles should post as a special fare now).
The inconsistencies are maddening, but it's great when they do really help you out!
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:02 pm

January 2023 just got loaded.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:13 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Any data on how this plays out with SWUs? I have 3 one-way passengers cleared DCA-ORD-LAX-HND with SWUs. Schedule changed for a much earlier departure, 12 hour layover in ORD, and only 90 minutes at LAX.

Can I rebook WAS-JFK-LAX-HND and maintain J despite the C class not showing in EF for the JFK-LAX segment, or do I need to find totally new flights that have the C class available?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
Any data on how this plays out with SWUs? I have 3 one-way passengers cleared DCA-ORD-LAX-HND with SWUs. Schedule changed for a much earlier departure, 12 hour layover in ORD, and only 90 minutes at LAX.

Can I rebook WAS-JFK-LAX-HND and maintain J despite the C class not showing in EF for the JFK-LAX segment, or do I need to find totally new flights that have the C class available?
This kind of thing is going to be completely YMMV depending on the agent. Some will have no problem moving you to the new flights and keeping you in business while others will say there must be upgrade space on the new flights.

If you have the time to try a few HUCA's then you should be able to switch and remain in business the whole way.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:13 am
pjs

Originally Posted by pjs
Just to follow up, I was able to switch her to the midday BOS-ORD nonstop in F so I guess there must be something to this 300-mile rule. Now she can check her bag all the way through in BOS and meet us at the Flagship Lounge in T3 before we have to head to T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.