Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Was this purchased with cash or miles?
Originally Posted by anabolism
Assuming this is a paid (not a mileage award) ticket, it's best to research your preferred flights using Expert Flyer, to verify that the flight is visible there and has inventory available in your ticketed cabin. See if your preferred flights are available as AA codes, because it's much easier for AA agents to rebook you on AA codes. (If your original ticket had flights booked as non-AA codes and you want to preserve that, you can argue for that.)
Cash booking. And the flights are available in business cabin. The agent was a little "clueless", though, because I gave her the AA code for the LHR-HEL flight and she was able to use only the AY code because for her that was an AY ticketed / AA operated flight...
Then she called her helpdesk and told me about the fact the flight could not be booked because AY didn't confirm them yet.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Lefly
Cash booking. And the flights are available in business cabin. The agent was a little "clueless", though, because I gave her the AA code for the LHR-HEL flight and she was able to use only the AY code because for her that was an AY ticketed / AA operated flight...
Then she called her helpdesk and told me about the fact the flight could not be booked because AY didn't confirm them yet.
Hang up, call again. If AA is willing to sell you the exact ticket you want, a competent agent should be able to book it for you under these circumstances.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by njvandy
Hang up, call again. If AA is willing to sell you the exact ticket you want, a competent agent should be able to book it for you under these circumstances.
Yes, but... how to find a competent agent while having no AA status? Is there some specific EU call center to suggest?
Old Jan 29, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
AA has the right to rebook you in any cabin, on any route between your endpoints, refuse any suggestion you give them, and they don't need to explain anything or help you when it goes sideways. In my case, 75 days out, they changed an SXM-CLT-STL routing, with a planned overnight in CLT to SXM-MIA-STL with a 96 minute I to D transfer. We have checked bags and we don't run. There's no way I would have booked that itinerary, but AA refused to consider anything else, even a planned overnight in MIA and next-day flight. I happened to be looking at my email when I got the schedule change email. AA Twitter? Useless, just like the previous two schedule changes, but this one I couldn't live with, because about 25% of our F ticket was going to end up with us delayed by at least 24 hours and the last leg in separate middle seats in economy with $40 in IDG compensation on a $2800 ticket.

So, we sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes (no gates in D), then waited 50 minutes for our priority luggage to come out last. Even with GE, our connecting flight was gone (not delayed in the D gate mess because it left from E.) We schlepped all the way to the priority queue. The best they could do was put one of us on Sunday's flight with a midnight arrival, and the other on Monday's flight arriving midnight. The hotel was our expense (I tried to get trip insurance when I couldn't budge AA, but it was expensive at that point, and when I read the terms, it wasn't going to cover much for misconnects.)

Got UA to get home before midnight because Monday's a work day. Not particularly happy about using our contingency plan and refundable tickets, but at least we had them. Thanks to whoever suggested multiple bookings. The upshot of all this is, if AA reroutes you to an unreasonable connect time, and you misconnect, you’re screwed.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by iplaybass
AA has the right to rebook you in any cabin, on any route between your endpoints, refuse any suggestion you give them, and they don't need to explain anything or help you when it goes sideways.
This...is...just...not...true.
Colin likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Then why am I living this right now? Is it because I'm not EXP or CK? What could I have done? I have all the correspondence with AA documented. Every time I asked for schedule change accommodation through the 3 different changes, they said NO. Not to sound adversarial towards anyone on FT, but you aren't the ones railroaded into a connection you wouldn't have booked on your own with no options other than wait for it to break on day-of-travel, pay for your overnight expenses, and take your $40 IDG compensation and economy seats twenty-four and forty-eight hours later. I'm very aware the CoC gives AA the right to do what they've done with our itinerary, and I can attest they've done it.

Yes, I've filled out the form letter. I expect I'll get a form response saying, "We're sorry for your negative experience, but we played by our published rules."

Last edited by iplaybass; Jan 29, 2023 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:17 pm

have always been amazed at my ability to leverage some bs 15 minute change to vastly improve my booked flights to eliminate connections, change airports and shift to flatbed planes originally booked for far cheaper. always think it will be a challenge, but turns out to be trivial.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Then why am I living this right now? Is it because I'm not EXP or CK? What could I have done? I have all the correspondence with AA documented. Every time I asked for schedule change accommodation through the 3 different changes, they said NO. Not to sound adversarial towards anyone on FT, but you aren't the ones railroaded into a connection you wouldn't have booked on your own with no options other than wait for it to break on day-of-travel, pay for your overnight expenses, and take your $40 IDG compensation and economy seats twenty-four and forty-eight hours later. I'm very aware the CoC gives AA the right to do what they've done with our itinerary, and I can attest they've done it.

Yes, I've filled out the form letter. I expect I'll get a form response saying, "We're sorry for your negative experience, but we played by our published rules."
I've never had an issue as long as I've been able to specify the exact route I want (with AA flight numbers), specifying the departure/connection/arrival airports. As long as you keep it reasonable (I.e. no significant date changes [more than 1-2 days either side], try to stick to AA metal, no added stopovers [>24hrs], no change in origin or destination airport, no change in class of travel, etc.) then at worst I've had to HUCA once or twice. But as long as it's "reasonable" then they've always gone along with my suggestions.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver

When you have a schedule change, step #1 is to find alternate flights on your own that are on the same dates. Step #2, call in to AA and let them know that there was a schedule change made by AA that does not work for you for XYZ reason. You have found alternate flights for the same day that work with your schedule better. It's important to mention that the schedule change was done by AA involuntarily to you. Step #3, AA agent makes the change with no charge.

It really is that simple and has nothing to do with being EXP/CK. I know many others I've advised this to who have no status and they always get put on the flights they want. Sometimes you may encounter an agent that doesn't know what they are doing and then you just HUACA. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but that is not what happens the vast majority of the time.
dc10forlife likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:28 pm

step #1 done
Step #2 done
Step #3 "sorry, no can do" (insert made up rule)
Step #4 HUACA
Step #5 "sorry, no can do" (not allowed to do so)
Step #6 HUACA
Step #7 "sorry, no can do" (system doesn't let me)
and on...

Maybe I had a bad streak, but I never encountered a "brick wall" like this until recently. Also, sometimes is not easy challenging an agent knowledge when English is not one first language.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:40 am

When you have a schedule change, step #1 is to find alternate flights on your own that are on the same dates. Step #2, call in to AA and let them know that there was a schedule change made by AA that does not work for you for XYZ reason. You have found alternate flights for the same day that work with your schedule better. It's important to mention that the schedule change was done by AA involuntarily to you. Step #3, AA agent makes the change with no charge.

It really is that simple and has nothing to do with being EXP/CK. I know many others I've advised this to who have no status and they always get put on the flights they want. Sometimes you may encounter an agent that doesn't know what they are doing and then you just HUACA. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but that is not what happens the vast majority of the time.
Yeah, well, thanks to FT, I'm well acquainted with HUACA, and AA Twitter. I've used these strategies several times this year, and had no problem getting the flights I ask for. This trip was different. The first schedule change moved SXM-CLT an hour earlier. Great! I can eliminate the overnight in CLT. AA said the segments were married, so they couldn't do it. No problem, I'd planned the overnight anyway.

Second schedule change moved the CLT-STL leg three hours earlier, and from mainline to PSA, creating a short night, and questions about carry-ons. I called and tweeted.

"Sorry sir, we're unable to do that because we have to put you on the first flight to your destination." After 3 attempts, I gave up. Short night, but we get home 3 hours earlier. Not optimal, but I can live with it.

Third schedule change moved SXM-CLT two hours earlier yet again. We were rebooked via MIA with the 96-minute connection. I ask to be returned to our original flights less than 3 minutes after the schedule change email. "We can't confirm you in F." Despite the fact our seats are now empty since they took us off the flight. "There's space in MCE we can confirm, would you like that?" Of course not. I paid for F, and accepting a VDG is just... stupid. It's like buying a 60" TV, and being offered a 27" monitor for the same price because they're sold out. I inform them the change is unacceptable, and ask for a next-day connecting flight.

"We're sorry sir, but our system says that 96 minutes is enough time for this connection. We can confirm you in MCE on the earlier SXM-MIA flight. Would you like that?" Only in the airline industry is bait-and-switch a legal tactic. I ask for a MIA-XXX-STL connection the following day.

"We're sorry sir, but you have to take the most direct routing. We can’t book you on a connecting flight the next day."

At this point, EF shows our original SXM-CLT seats are still occupied, so I set an alert. A week later, the alert goes off, I call.

"We're sorry sir, but the inventory must match your original ticket."

"But you took us off that flight. Those were our seats since March." I know seats and class-of-service aren't guaranteed, but figured logic was worth a shot since everything else failed.

"We're sorry sir, but our system shows you should be able to make this connection. If anything happens, our team on the ground will be ready to assist. Thank you for choosing American."

While the plane is sitting on the tarmac in MIA, I tweet.

"We will have our customer assistance team ready to help after you arrive ," was AA Twitter 's response.

No voucher for anything, because with an I to D, customs and TSA are out of AA's control, so even though the flight was delayed 30 minutes, they won't cover it. We were offered separate middle economy seats on the single MIA-STL flight getting in at midnight Sunday, and a $40 refund. "Maybe there'll be a no-show, so one of you can fly in F."

I would've tried the AAngels in the AC who have helped me multiple times, but I was outside security, with an invalid BP, so I couldn't get to the AC.

So, in summary, I tried everything I've learned from FT, and they are strategies that have worked in the past for me. For whatever reason, AA railroaded me into this situation for this trip. They followed their rules, and I have no recourse, which was the reason for my broad statement, because that's what happened to me, and if it happened to me, it can happen to someone else.

We got 15K miles each as a CS gesture.

Last edited by iplaybass; Feb 5, 2023 at 11:58 am Reason: Update
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
Yesterday, I had a reservation for ORD-LGA at 5.30p. As I decided to stay one more night I changed the flight to 10.30AM. An hour later I saw that my original is now delayed for 16 hours. For my new flight I got a notification that is canceled.

Now I have been rebooked for the 12.30pm flight, boarded but have to wait due to another delay.
​​​​​​
On EP all those three flights show "delay to a/c maintenance". Is this some generic comment or what are the odds of that happening on all three flights? Or is it just due to the cold temperatures in Chicago?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:15 pm

It could be deicing.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Lefly
Yes, but... how to find a competent agent while having no AA status? Is there some specific EU call center to suggest?
I think your best shot is the Twitter DM team around 8 or 9 AM US CT.

Yeah, well, thanks to FT, I'm well acquainted with HUACA, and AA Twitter. I've used these strategies several times this year, and had no problem getting the flights I ask for. This trip was different. The first schedule change moved SXM-CLT an hour earlier. Great! I can eliminate the overnight in CLT. AA said the segments were married, so they couldn't do it. No problem, I'd planned the overnight anyway.

Second schedule change moved the CLT-STL leg three hours earlier, and from mainline to PSA, creating a short night, and questions about carry-ons. I called and tweeted.

"Sorry sir, we're unable to do that because we have to put you on the first flight to your destination." After 3 attempts, I gave up. Short night, but we get home 3 hours earlier. Not optimal, but I can live with it.

Third schedule change moved SXM-CLT two hours earlier yet again. We were rebooked via MIA with the 96-minute connection. I ask to be returned to our original flights less than 3 minutes after the schedule change email. "We can't confirm you in F." Despite the fact our seats are now empty since they took us off the flight. "There's space in MCE we can confirm, would you like that?" Of course not. I paid for F, and accepting a VDG is just... stupid. It's like buying a 60" TV, and being offered a 27" monitor for the same price because they're sold out. I inform them the change is unacceptable, and ask for a next-day connecting flight.

"We're sorry sir, but our system says that 96 minutes is enough time for this connection. We can confirm you in MCE on the earlier SXM-MIA flight. Would you like that?" Only in the airline industry is bait-and-switch a legal tactic. I ask for a MIA-XXX-STL connection the following day.

"We're sorry sir, but you have to take the most direct routing. We can’t book you on a connecting flight the next day."

At this point, EF shows our original SXM-CLT seats are still occupied, so I set an alert. A week later, the alert goes off, I call.

"We're sorry sir, but the inventory must match your original ticket."

"But you took us off that flight. Those were our seats since March." I know seats and class-of-service aren't guaranteed, but figured logic was worth a shot since everything else failed.

"We're sorry sir, but our system shows you should be able to make this connection. If anything happens, our team on the ground will be ready to assist. Thank you for choosing American."

While the plane is sitting on the tarmac in MIA, I tweet.

"We will have our customer assistance team ready to help after you arrive ," was AA Twitter 's response.

No voucher for anything, because with an I to D, customs and TSA are out of AA's control, so even though the flight was delayed 30 minutes, they won't cover it. We were offered separate middle economy seats on the single MIA-STL flight getting in at midnight Sunday, and a $40 refund. "Maybe there'll be a no-show, so one of you can fly in F."

I would've tried the AAngels in the AC who have helped me multiple times, but I was outside security, with an invalid BP, so I couldn't get to the AC.

So, in summary, I tried everything I've learned from FT, and they are strategies that have worked in the past for me. For whatever reason, AA railroaded me into this situation for this trip. They followed their rules, and I have no recourse, which was the reason for my broad statement, because that's what happened to me, and if it happened to me, it can happen to someone else.

We got 15K miles each as a CS gesture.
How horrible, and what pathetic compensation. Every one of your interactions should have gone so much smoother, with the agent getting you on your preferred alternate flight due to the schedule change. Even the married segment issue they could have worked around by deleting both and rebooking.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Anyone have experiences getting AA to rebook onto an Alaska flight (last I found from this thread was from July of 2020 so not sure if anything has been updated)?

My AA flight isn't for another 6 months but the schedule shifted ~3.5 hours. I booked via AA miles in F with a Web Special Award... I'd love to get on an Alaska flight that is better-timed but not sure if the agents will be able to do this.

Last edited by bj27; Feb 8, 2023 at 9:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.