Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:03 pm

Couldn’t find any recent answer but wanted to know if operating airline change qualifies for a refund? Flying PHL-DFW-CRP. DFW-CRP leg had switched from operated by Mesa to SkyWest and there was a minor schedule change also less than 60 min. Does change in airline/equipment in this case qualifies for a full refund?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gateH15
Couldn’t find any recent answer but wanted to know if operating airline change qualifies for a refund? Flying PHL-DFW-CRP. DFW-CRP leg had switched from operated by Mesa to SkyWest and there was a minor schedule change also less than 60 min. Does change in airline/equipment in this case qualifies for a full refund?
It should
gateH15 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:50 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR booked for next week, the return of an AA ticketed itinerary booked through Propeller Travel

The first leg has been brought forward 25 minutes.
The final leg JFK-LHR (BA operated) has been switched from Club Suite to the old Club World cabin

Would I have any options to change the legs or route? Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
No more reprotection for SKCHG

Was advised by the Twitter team that when AA has a months-ahead schedule change, even when for multiple hours, AA will only rebook onto alternate AA flights IF the same booking inventory is available. Otherwise, the customer has to pay the fare difference to AA or cancel/refund and find alternate flights. Even for EXP. Seriously?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Was advised by the Twitter team that when AA has a months-ahead schedule change, even when for multiple hours, AA will only rebook onto alternate AA flights IF the same booking inventory is available. Otherwise, the customer has to pay the fare difference to AA or cancel/refund and find alternate flights. Even for EXP. Seriously?
Sounds like a canned response from one of the many poorly trained Twitter reps that has no idea what they're doing.
Spiff, vasantn, lougord99 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Are you talking about award tickets? Or regular revenue tickets?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Are you talking about award tickets? Or regular revenue tickets?
. I asked. twitter team says that policy applies to both award and revenue.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
My experience is that if what you say is a rule, it is not enforced and regularly bypassed.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jghassell
My experience is that if what you say is a rule, it is not enforced and regularly bypassed.
I should tell that to the Twitter team!
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Were you by chance trying to turn a 5 minute flight shift into a nonstop or something? (Not that I haven't done that, no judgment.)
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are you using Twitter if you are EXP? EXP desk agents are great and there is almost never a wait (ignore the estimate; just opt to stay on the line and usually you get right though)
arollins likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Is the schedule change less than 61 minutes? If so, that seems to be in line with AA's schedule change policy if I am reading https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...ule_Change.pdf correctly

Originally Posted by aa
Offer another AA Prime flight, maintaining same inventory, same travel day, and same origin/destination as originally ticketed
whereas at 61 minutes or more it says
Originally Posted by aa
Offer any available AA Prime flight, including American Eagle and affiliates, in the lowest available inventory, up to H for main cabin
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is the schedule change less than 61 minutes?
OP said "even for multiple hours" which implies more than 61 minutes

AA's schedule change policies apply to all - a customer with no status is just as entitled to service when an issue occurs as someone holding EP status
Yes but EXP get to deal with competent agents who will not try to apply the <61 minute policy to all changes.

Unfortunately OP is deciding not to use that benefit.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:04 pm

Good to know. The SKCHG is 3 hours. Award ticket. In the past, EXP desk would ask what flights I wanted, open the inventory, and be done. Pretty frustrated with this new attitude at AA. They’re the new UA and the reason I’m leaving the AA eco system after my EXP expires in Mar23.

Oh, I’ve had agents at the EXP desk in the past year also say they won’t open inventory, even on empty flights (last year). Took 3 HUCA at the EXP Desk to get the proper help.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
OP said "even for multiple hours" which implies more than 61 minutes
I read it as what was stated, in that AA will not provide rebooking even for multiple hours - it wasn't stated that the OP's change was multiple hours, hence the response.

Given it has been confirmed as 3 hours, just seems time for OP to try and find an agent that understands the policy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.