Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Just cancel it? The points will be refunded automatically.
That's what I thought but the points haven't been refunded. Think maybe due to points were used for my original flights before AA changed the destination city.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anngi
That's what I thought but the points haven't been refunded. Think maybe due to points were used for my original flights before AA changed the destination city.
Did you try submitting a refund request?

http://prefunds.aa.com
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Or just call AA, unfortunately it is still rather common for points not to go back automatically in some cases, a phone agent can typically move things along.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:09 am

Fourth time on chat on AA website did it. Rep said points would drop in 72 hours. They already did.
Call lines were over 3 hours. Did learn the flight credit is the taxes and fees paid that one is supposed
to be able to use on a future flight but haven't tested it.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We had surprising luck with a Dec 2021 itinerary SEA-AMM/LCA-SEA originally booked with multiple extra connections and multiple overnights in both directions. But that was how we got Saaver biz for 5. Over time both outbound and return completely exploded due to segments being cancelled or retimed. We did have a few instances where the changes were 5-10 minutes shy of allowing the complete reroute and the computers/agents kept rebuilding preposterously complex routings to preserve the connections.

We now have SEA-LHR and LHR-SEA in both directions and best connections possible. Definitely pays to go with those horrendous saaver options that aa.com displays, especially during times where so many scheduling changes will occur.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:02 am

Fourth time on chat on AA website did it. Rep said points would drop in 72 hours. They already did.
Call lines were over 3 hours. Did learn the flight credit is the taxes and fees paid that one is supposed
Especially if AA changed/canceled flights, the taxes/fees should be refunded to your credit card or other form of payment, not a flight credit. Even on a voluntary redeposit, most airlines (UA I know for sure) refund those directly. You may need to press again to get that fixed.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Taxes and carrier imposed fees on a award redemption are never returned as a flight credit and are always issued to the original form of payment.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jmastron
Especially if AA changed/canceled flights, the taxes/fees should be refunded to your credit card or other form of payment, not a flight credit. Even on a voluntary redeposit, most airlines (UA I know for sure) refund those directly. You may need to press again to get that fixed.
BA is one of the airlines that doesn't do that; they refund taxes and their painfully-high carrier-imposed surcharges as future trip vouchers. In the OP's case, I'd guess that if the AA agent said those would come as a trip credit, they were mistaken; I'll bet those are being processed as refunds to the original form of payment. However, that can take some time to show up.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This seems like a reasonable place to mention that Amex Travel is extremely difficult to deal with in regard to cancelled itineraries. If you have an itin that qualifies for a refund you can probably get it, but if you want to cancel and use the residual funds for another itin, it could be difficult, and triply difficult if you don't use the entire ticket value in booking a single trip. If you have serious concerns that you might eventually want to muck around with a trip, don't book with Amex. This isn't necessarily true if you will be OK with the rebooking. I booked LAS-DFW-PHL (booking the connection because the first leg was a 788 and I like the lie-flats) and LAS-DFW was cancelled, and they rebooked me on a nonstop which fortunately was around the same time.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:49 pm
Suspended

And I’ve had zero issue canceling with Amex travel, which I’ve had to do a few times in the last two years.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Taxes and carrier imposed fees on a award redemption are never returned as a flight credit and are always issued to the original form of payment.

Maybe used to be that way but was given taxes and fees back as a flight credit. Was told when I have to pay taxes and fees for new award travel to apply flight credit to it. Will see how that works out when I rebook.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Maybe used to be that way but was given taxes and fees back as a flight credit. Was told when I have to pay taxes and fees for new award travel to apply flight credit to it. Will see how that works out when I rebook.
I don’t think you can apply flight credits to award bookings?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:45 am

It is still that way and hasn't changed so the only exception to this would be the rare, mixed revenue/award tickets in a single PNR or an award upgrade on a revenue ticket but in case only the revenue coupons could be returned as a flight credit; the actual taxes and fees for the award components would still be refunded to the original payment method.

Taxes and fees for award redemptions of any kind are always credited back to the original form of payment (you can easily verify this by asking any agent) and you would then need to pay for taxes and fees in a new redemption so the agent wasn't wrong on that count.

You may see a "no value" flight credit in your AA wallet while the actual award redemption taxes/fees refund is being processed but versus other flight credits that have a dollar value associated with them, it will no value and will automatically disappear once the refund is processed on AA's end.

Last edited by enpremiere; Nov 20, 2021 at 6:47 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I don’t think you can apply flight credits to award bookings?
You can't. You can use them to book an underlying revenue ticket and apply an upgrade award but you are correct.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by jmastron
This is still very much the case and sage advice.

The flight credit that you might see will show no value as it's a placeholder for the taxes and fees that will be refunded and disappears on its own once the actual refund is processed. Otherwise that would be a pretty big screwup on the agent's apart (and that system can't actually issue refunds that way anyway so if it really was an outlier case this involved a group higher than front line reservations and that still wasn't the correct procedure regardless).

Last edited by enpremiere; Nov 20, 2021 at 6:48 pm Reason: Second thought

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.