Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Cancelled flight for 2021 and not yet automatically rebooked - date change allowed?

I have an AA ticket that contains a CX segment (ORD-HKG) that's been cancelled. The ticket was issued in March 2020 for travel in Jan 2021.

Ideally I'd like to reschedule to travel in July 2021 (in the hope that COVID restrictions have relaxed and travel becomes a bit more normal/predictable). I figure AA will likely try to rebook me on ORD-DFW-HKG once they take a look at the ticket with the now missing segment.

Do I have a shot at getting them to rebook for a date that's past the 1yr ticket validity?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by coleslaw
I have an AA ticket that contains a CX segment (ORD-HKG) that's been cancelled. The ticket was issued in March 2020 for travel in Jan 2021.

Ideally I'd like to reschedule to travel in July 2021 (in the hope that COVID restrictions have relaxed and travel becomes a bit more normal/predictable). I figure AA will likely try to rebook me on ORD-DFW-HKG once they take a look at the ticket with the now missing segment.

Do I have a shot at getting them to rebook for a date that's past the 1yr ticket validity?
I don't know if they would grant you to change your flight on the same PNR, although, you could always request a voucher ( flight credit ) and use it on another ticket for July 2021. However, you would be responsible for any applicable difference in fare.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't know if they would grant you to change your flight on the same PNR, although, you could always request a voucher ( flight credit ) and use it on another ticket for July 2021. However, you would be responsible for any applicable difference in fare.
There's a pretty significant fare difference ($2-3k) which I'm trying to avoid if at all possible.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
There's a pretty significant fare difference ($2-3k) which I'm trying to avoid if at all possible.
If I'm not wrong during IRROPS, AA's policy is to rebook within -24/+24 hours from the original flight if possible.
A date change would be considered voluntary so you would still need to pay the fare difference even if you use the same ticket.

This was told by multiple AA agents to me when I was trying to change an AA international ticket on behalf of someone else.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold

If your flight was cancelled, just request a refund and book a new ticket for Jul of 2021 when you are ready. There is no reason to let AA keep your cash.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dls25
If your flight was cancelled, just request a refund and book a new ticket for Jul of 2021 when you are ready. There is no reason to let AA keep your cash.
The OP is trying to avoid any fare difference that is over $2k.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:59 pm

So what exactly does it mean for a flight to change by 61 minutes or more?

We were scheduled to cruise out of Miami in January and booked our flights back in March. We cancelled the cruise a couple of months ago, and I've been hoping for a schedule change or cancellation of the flight so I can get a refund. I received an email that the flight had changed from a 7:40am departure to an 8:45am departure. Aha! sez I. However, the arrival time at MIA has changed from 3:55pm to 4:38pm, so short of the 61 minutes (aircraft change from A321 to 772). Is that eligible for a refund, given that the actual overall difference is less than an hour? I'm fine with waiting until the bitter end to cancel but would just as soon get a refund now if it's eligible. Thanks for any insight.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by critterchick
So what exactly does it mean for a flight to change by 61 minutes or more?

We were scheduled to cruise out of Miami in January and booked our flights back in March. We cancelled the cruise a couple of months ago, and I've been hoping for a schedule change or cancellation of the flight so I can get a refund. I received an email that the flight had changed from a 7:40am departure to an 8:45am departure. Aha! sez I. However, the arrival time at MIA has changed from 3:55pm to 4:38pm, so short of the 61 minutes (aircraft change from A321 to 772). Is that eligible for a refund, given that the actual overall difference is less than an hour? I'm fine with waiting until the bitter end to cancel but would just as soon get a refund now if it's eligible. Thanks for any insight.
Did the flight number change? If so, you are rebooked to another flight where you are entitled to a full refund according to US DoT regulations.
If your flight was only delayed, the post-COVID limit for cancellation a schedule change is an interruption of longer than 4 hours so no chance for a refund other than a voucher.

Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Did the flight number change? If so, you are rebooked to another flight where you are entitled to a full refund according to US DoT regulations.
If your flight was only delayed, the post-COVID limit for cancellation a schedule change is an interruption of longer than 4 hours so no chance for a refund other than a voucher.
the flights were booked in March, so the original terms and conditions would apply. The 4hr requirement applies to tickets purchased from April 8 onwards.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:47 pm

For flights booked before April 8, it’s 61 minutes or longer. My question is whether the later departure time is enough to qualify or does the flight also have to have an arrival time of more than 61 minutes?
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
With the latest change to AA policy waiving change fees for long haul international flights:

If I book a new flight this November for August 2021 and need to make a change, when does the credit need to be used by? Is it 12/31/21?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:31 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ron50
With the latest change to AA policy waiving change fees for long haul international flights:

If I book a new flight this November for August 2021 and need to make a change, when does the credit need to be used by? Is it 12/31/21?
The credit will be valid for one year past the date of issue.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:55 am

I'm guessing the 737MAX is officially back. I had January JFK and DCA to Miami flights change to this aircraft type overnight.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dls25
I'm guessing the 737MAX is officially back. I had January JFK and DCA to Miami flights change to this aircraft type overnight.
is it? Boeing stock is still down.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:56 pm

I also noticed AA is flying E175s on midweek MIA -BOS/LGA flights in January. They must see very light advance bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.