Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
An NYT reporter was on the same flight. He sent a tweet about someone on his Tulsa bound (via Dallas) flight holding up the departure before leaving the aircraft, it’s been great to see the self described “red piller” having his heroic version of events debunked by the reporter.
https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/sta...58412567531520

EDIT TO ADD
turns out the Dbag grifts his own line of masks - you can’t make this up! 🤦
https://walkaway.shop/product/walkaway-mask/
AA's current guidance is a mask is not required if someone has a condition preventing it. The problem is AA's guidance does not state 1) a passenger is required to have a doctor's note or certificate confirming a condition, 2) or that the passenger is required to disclose the condition to an airline employee on request. This is different than an emotional support animal, where a certificate is required (no matter if someone is gaming the system). And a requirement to disclose the specifics of a condition is against ADA guidelines.

It's unfortunate this appears to be a passenger with a social media agenda and trying to make a point, instead of a bona fide concern. However that doesn't change the fact that the FA was way out of line IMO, in asking the person if he had a doctor's note or equivalent, asking him disclose more information, and threatening to deny him to fly. Based upon AA's currently posted guidance as of 800 pm this evening, a passenger has a right to state they have a condition and fly without a mask unfortunately.

If AA wants to enforce this as more than theater, they need to: a) change their statement to remove a condition as an exception, or b) require a doctor's certification and make the policy effective in 3-5 days so anyone flying who needs to has the opportunity to obtain the required certification. Then if they don't have it, and/or still refuse to wear one, sure, by all means throw 'em off the plane! But based on AA's current website what happened on that flight was not in line with AA's own policies.

And by the way, AA should be prepared for more nuttiness on flights to Tulsa in the next few days. 🙄

This is the cut & paste of guidance from AA's website:A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.
Keep in mind, a face covering can be a mask or any secured cloth like a scarf or bandana that covers your nose and mouth. Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for more information.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
This is the guidance directly pulled from AA's website. It clearly states: "A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one."

Nice to jump to the conclusion she didn't have a condition. And American's policy clearly contradicts your statement, whether the woman had a condition or not.
Yeah I put “condition” right among “ESA”.

chrisny2 and ExpatExp like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Yeah I put “condition” right among “ESA”.

Mostly, me too. 🙄

My Aunt has asthma and allergies and short of breath. She's normally level headed and calm. If she wears a mask for more than a few minutes she struggles, ends up breathing horribly hard so every breath nearly blows the mask off. The first time she had to wear one back at work she became so agitated and anxious because she couldn't breathe she had a panic attack and started crying and then of course made the breathing worse. It was a basically a meltdown. She decided to take an early retirement offer the next day. Is it her breathing or anxiety and nerves? Honestly, no idea. It's not like her. But when she has to put one on to go in a grocery or store she's in almost in a state of panic.

I don't know what the answer is. Other than AA requiring a certification. And of course, yes, they will be bought and sold and abused as ESAs are.

I'm flying for the first time this weekend since January and am dreading it.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Mostly, me too. 🙄

My Aunt has asthma and allergies and short of breath. She's normally level headed and calm. If she wears a mask for more than a few minutes she struggles, ends up breathing horribly hard so every breath nearly blows the mask off. The first time she had to wear one back at work she became so agitated and anxious because she couldn't breathe she had a panic attack and started crying and then of course made the breathing worse. It was a basically a meltdown. She decided to take an early retirement offer the next day. Is it her breathing or anxiety and nerves? Honestly, no idea. It's not like her. But when she has to put one on to go in a grocery or store she's in almost in a state of panic.

I don't know what the answer is. Other than AA requiring a certification. And of course, yes, they will be bought and sold and abused as ESAs are.

I'm flying for the first time this weekend since January and am dreading it.
That ought to be a slam dunk ADA case. Any airline or grocery store or other business that denies such persons access ought to get whacked with a MAJOR judgment.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
And a requirement to disclose the specifics of a condition is against ADA guidelines.
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
That ought to be a slam dunk ADA case. Any airline or grocery store or other business that denies such persons access ought to get whacked with a MAJOR judgment.
Does ADA apply to airlines?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by deeruck
Does ADA apply to airlines?
No. Air Carrier Access Act does.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:52 am

There's no easy answer. Truth is, no matter how badly I feel about someone with an honest to goodness issue, and think American was fundamentally in the wrong in yesterday's incident based on their mask requirements as currently stated, I wouldn't have been happy being on that plane.

To take that further, if I knew during boarding the stranger sitting next to me would not wear a mask during the flight, there's a good chance I'd ask quietly to be accommodated on another flight. Many variables would factor into that decision of course. The thing is there's no guarantee there wouldn't be a mask-less person sitting next to me on the next flight either.

We'll see what happens on my flights this weekend. I'll be the nervous looking person with a stash of airplane bottles and a straw because I'll probably be scared to take my mask off.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Actually, I dont think so.

ADA is an extremely detailed law, and provides excellent guidance for things like a service animals, wheelchairs etc.

But I dont remember it including anything about NOT wearing a mask being discriminatory.

That is, imagine a policy that required everyone to use a wheelchair inside a store. ADA would have no issue with that.

Same thing with requiring proof of medical condition. ADA is very clear that you cannot ask someone to describe their disability if they bring a service animal. But ADA also allows employers to mandate a doctors note if someone requires special accommodation or calls out sick. Once the doctors note is provided, the employer must provide reasonable accommodation.

AA is doing exactly that. Show proof and you can be accommodated.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jamesinclair

ADA is an extremely detailed law, and provides excellent guidance for things like a service animals, wheelchairs etc.

But I dont remember it including anything about NOT wearing a mask being discriminatory.

That is, imagine a policy that required everyone to use a wheelchair inside a store. ADA would have no issue with that.

Same thing with requiring proof of medical condition. ADA is very clear that you cannot ask someone to describe their disability if they bring a service animal. But ADA also allows employers to mandate a doctors note if someone requires special accommodation or calls out sick. Once the doctors note is provided, the employer must provide reasonable accommodation.

If someone claims they have a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask, it's very likely the act of flying itself is dangerous to them, since an airplane is a much larger stress on your respiratory system.

Airlines are allowed to refuse someone on a plane if they deem them not medically cleared to fly and are definitely allowed to ask for a doctor's note declaring them clear to fly - I don't see how they're not allowed to ask for documentation that the customer cannot wear a mask but CAN fly. The doctor's note doesn't have to go into the details of why specifically (e.g. what specific condition), but a generic one making it sure the person is not at risk of asphyxiation mid-flight can certainly be requested.

If I was an FA and someone came up to me and said their condition is so severe a mask puts them at risk of asphyxiation, I'd be very worried about how a high-altitude flight in a pressurized metal tube would affect them.

And this doesn't even go into their public health risk, which is an additional liability concern for the airline.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair

The ADA explicitly does not apply to aircraft. The text of the law actually says "...except for aircraft." over and over again. The ADA has no relevance.
st3 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:43 pm

The only issue with a doctor's note for a legitimate condition is AA doesn't state on their website it's required. All they need to do is add the requirement & give an effective date 3-5 days out so anyone with a legitimate issue has a reasonable opportunity to obtain documentation before they fly.

Yes, there will still be some selfish jerks who go to extremes to come with up with phony documentation, or pay $$$ at a private clinic to get a doctor to certify them, or exploit the sympathies of a physician when their case doesn't really warrant it. But that's a whole lot of trouble if you don't have a legitimate condition with your doctor already well acquainted with your case and on speed dial. Most people will just wear the mask if AA requires documentation.
st3 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, 3MM
I'm sorry for any lack of empathy here, but enough is enough. American/United and others, good for you - throw the violators off the plane. Stop kissing everyone's tail and worrying about being PC. No one like wearing a mask, FACT - we got it, but this is a stated requirement. If you don't like it, or you don't feel your health allows - take the family sedan!! Otherwise, buck up, put on the mask and STFU.

Have a nice day......
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mynoles1
I'm sorry for any lack of empathy here, but enough is enough. American/United and others, good for you - throw the violators off the plane. Stop kissing everyone's tail and worrying about being PC. No one like wearing a mask, FACT - we got it, but this is a stated requirement. If you don't like it, or you don't feel your health allows - take the family sedan!! Otherwise, buck up, put on the mask and STFU.

Have a nice day......
The problem is, even for those of us who would be the 100% mask-wearing type, we don't want to see altercations on our flights for any reason, including debates over mask-wearing.

I'll have some tolerance for the non-mask-wearers, as long as there aren't flights on the plane and diversions with police coming on board, etc. Everyone needs to realize that, even with 100% masks, there's some risk, and if you're truly so risk-averse, you must stay home.

If you see someone doing something you don't like on board, consider peacefully ignoring it and focusing on keeping yourself well, as best as you can, without dragging others into it. Make sure you're wearing at least an N95, if possible (Hudson News is selling KN95s currently, by the way).

We need less air rage and more people minding their own business.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA, 3MM
Originally Posted by metallo
The problem is, even for those of us who would be the 100% mask-wearing type, we don't want to see altercations on our flights for any reason, including debates over mask-wearing.

I'll have some tolerance for the non-mask-wearers, as long as there aren't flights on the plane and diversions with police coming on board, etc. Everyone needs to realize that, even with 100% masks, there's some risk, and if you're truly so risk-averse, you must stay home.

If you see someone doing something you don't like on board, consider peacefully ignoring it and focusing on keeping yourself well, as best as you can, without dragging others into it. Make sure you're wearing at least an N95, if possible (Hudson News is selling KN95s currently, by the way).

We need less air rage and more people minding their own business.

Agree totally. My comments are meant for consideration LONG ahead of ever leaving home for the airport.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Thanks for the reference. So all the ADA comments don't apply. But it seems pretty clear from the ACAA that you can state you have a disability and not be challenged. Seems the only exception is if they state in writing that you are a direct threat to others. That's a large step for an airline to take.
In general, air carriers may not require air passengers with disabilities to provide a medical certificate related to their condition. Moreover, people with disabilities cannot be required to provide advance notice that they are traveling. However, if the air carrier needs to make prior arrangements for certain services, such as a medical respirator hook-up or an incubator carriage, the air carrier can require up to 48 hours of notice.

In addition, an air carrier may not prohibit a person with a disability from traveling unless it determines that the disability is a direct threat to the health or safety of others. In that instance, the air carrier must provide the individual with a written decision of its actions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.