Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Diaper mandate

I'm sure most have you have seen the new additional mandate that's you must wear a diaper on flights. This creates problems as it is hard to find a size that fits.....https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...hnk/index.html

How can you be sure some body is wearing one!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by onanisland
I was asked Thursday to raise and lower my mask between bites of food. She said it was a new policy. I was actively eating. Not dilly dallying. Has anyone seen/heard this?
That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. The outside of that mask is contaminated with anything that was in the air from wherever you have been since you put it on. You are touching the mask and then touching food that you are going to put in your mouth. They don't exactly provide silverware with a turkey sandwich or cheese plate! I managed to suck down 4 vodka cranberries served to me by a great FA last week from CLT-CUN. After about our 4th sips the wife and I both left the mask under our chin and nobody said a word. Unless everybody on the plane dons an N95 mask and doesn't remove it for the entire flight for anything this mask business is largely a facade.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by F16wannabe
That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. The outside of that mask is contaminated with anything that was in the air from wherever you have been since you put it on. You are touching the mask and then touching food that you are going to put in your mouth. They don't exactly provide silverware with a turkey sandwich or cheese plate!
Oh I agree with you. But I wasn’t about to argue with the lady. I’ll try again Wednesday. It’s the first time I’d heard that and the first time I’d had an issue.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 4:50 pm

Oh I agree with you. But I wasn’t about to argue with the lady. I’ll try again Wednesday. It’s the first time I’d heard that and the first time I’d had an issue.
I agree with you 100%. I would not even look at one cross-eyed in today's climate. If it's any consolation I had the turkey sandwich and cookie twice in the last 10 days and both times I took the mask clear off and put it on my lap while I ate. Both F flight attendants passed through several times while I was eating and none of them said anything other than asking me if I wanted another drink. I think your experience could have been a "flight attendant made up" policy.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:20 pm

I agree with you 100%. I would not even look at one cross-eyed in today's climate. If it's any consolation I had the turkey sandwich and cookie twice in the last 10 days and both times I took the mask clear off and put it on my lap while I ate. Both F flight attendants passed through several times while I was eating and none of them said anything other than asking me if I wanted another drink. I think your experience could have been a "flight attendant made up" policy.
I have a feeling it was because this flight attendant was making a round trip and was over it. She was very nice and accommodating otherwise. Always looking to refill our beverages. I hope it was a one off.
F16wannabe likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Definitely a one off, I've honestly seen both extremes and everything in-between, with one FA admitting to me they go into the galley and close the curtain to take their mask off and I can keep mine off for as long as I had a drink in front of me to the UA FA at IAD screaming at a girl sitting at a gate for having her mask off while eating.

I of course comply and where mine unless I am actively eating/drinking but I think everyone can't wait for when we get to the point masks become "optional" and not "mandatory".
onanisland and RaindropT like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Often1
What matters is that you have a compliant mask. In addition to that compliant mask, you can have anything you want (face shield and so on).
No, you can’t. The airlines are pretty clear on not using devices that could interfere during an emergency.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
No, you can’t. The airlines are pretty clear on not using devices that could interfere during an emergency.
Yes, you can. Face shields, masks with exhausts and pretty much anything else.

It goes without saying that you must always comply with all rules and regulations. Got to look at the topic of the thread or one goes down a rabbit hole.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
What's the deal with industrial-style respirators? I've seen a few of these worn inside terminals but not on board. I have one with N99 NIOSH filters for work (particulates and aerosols) but have never worn it on a trip. Seen conflicting reports that a few FAs disallow these because they can interfere with O2 masks; OK, if the O2s drop I'm yanking this thing off my face so what's the problem? You're supposed to remove any kind of mask anyway if O2 drops. I have N95s I can wear in flight if needed but I'd rather have the big rig on for airport transit.

Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:41 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
AA says you can have a face shield shiela cloth mask.

Acceptable face coverings

• A mask or 2 layered secured cloth that completely covers your nose and mouth and fits snugly to the sides of your face and under your chin
  • Face shields worn with a face covering, but not in place of one
Old Feb 21, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, you can. Face shields, masks with exhausts and pretty much anything else.

It goes without saying that you must always comply with all rules and regulations. Got to look at the topic of the thread or one goes down a rabbit hole.

Good luck with this ....
Old Feb 21, 2021, 3:25 pm

Are flight attendants exempt from wearing a mask during the exit row briefing? Loved having my flight attendant remove her mask, stand over me while shouting the exit row instructions. I didn’t know about this exemption.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 4:20 am

Unfortunately not made up. Happened again yesterday. Also the service was terrible. At least the first time it happened the attendant kept feeding us drinks. This trip I felt like I was asking for a favor every time.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:37 am

Unfortunately not made up. Happened again yesterday. Also the service was terrible. At least the first time it happened the attendant kept feeding us drinks. This trip I felt like I was asking for a favor every time.
Absurd!! I'm not flying again until April, hopefully cases keep going down and the fear subsides a bit by then. I'll probably have to bite my tongue so hard that it bleeds if I'm asked to pull a mask back up while I chew.
onanisland likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Here is the policy per AA's website:

Face coverings are required by U.S. federal law from the time you enter the airport where your trip begins, on board your flight, and until you leave the airport where your trip ends. This includes if you’re visiting our clubs and lounges.

You can briefly lower or remove your face covering while actively eating, drinking or taking oral medication, but it must be worn between bites and sips.

IMO, too many folks tried to push the rules by nursing a drink or slowly eating with their mask off during much of the flight.

Last edited by work2fly; Feb 25, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.