Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 29, 20, 2:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement That Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.
Keep in mind, a face covering can be a mask or any secured cloth like a scarf or bandana that covers your nose and mouth. Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for more information.

Monday, June 15, 2020, 10:05 (UPDATED — effective 16 June 2020 (link)

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)
FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines announced a stronger policy for customer face coverings today as part of its commitment to the safety and well-being of customers and team members.

American, like other U.S. airlines, already requires customers to wear a face covering while on board aircraft. American already enforces this policy at the gate and will deny boarding to customers who don’t comply. American now may also deny future travel for customers who refuse to wear a face covering. American made this change after working in conjunction with Airlines for America on an industrywide response.

We believe the face covering requirement is important, so customers will notice more reminders of our policy as they travel with us, both at the airport and in flight.

Some passengers are exempt from the face covering requirement, such as young children and those with a disability or medical reason for why they cannot wear a face covering. The policy also does not apply while eating or drinking.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.
PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines will soon require all customers traveling to wear a face covering (or mask) while on board the aircraft starting May 11. This new requirement is part of the airline’s ongoing commitment to prioritizing customer and team member well-being in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic....A face covering will be required by each passenger while onboard an American flight. Face coverings may also be required by local jurisdictions. Very young passengers and those with conditions that prevent them from wearing a face covering will be exempt from the requirement.

Earlier this week, American announced that face coverings will be required for flight attendantsduring every mainline and regional flight beginning tomorrow, May 1. Additionally, American will begin the process of distributing sanitizing wipes and face coverings to customers. This offering will expand to all flights as supplies and operational conditions allow.

“The American Airlines team continues to prioritize the safety of our customers and team members, and requiring a face covering is one more way we can protect those on our aircraft,” said Kurt Stache, Senior Vice President of Customer Experience. “Beginning May 1, we’re provisioning masks and sanitizing wipes for customers on select flights when they board. We will roll this out as quickly as possible and these kits will be widely available across our network in the coming weeks. In the meantime, customers should bring their own masks or face coverings.”
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 30, 20, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

AA has updated its mask / facial covering policy. Please see the Wikipost above.

chrisny2, aztimm and thunderdeacon like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 15, 20 at 10:26 pm
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I couldn't understand whether or not these will be AA supplied or not?
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
AA supplied. You'll get a credit card application (featuring a special exclusive offer) along with a Marie Kondo instructional flyer on how to fold the application into a fully-compliant facemask.
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I certainly would not rely on AA (nor any other company) to provide adequate protection.
Anyway, since you are in the DFW area, Dallas county requires wearing a face mask in public, so you'd need one to get to the airport and inside the airport.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:25 pm

Okay, I will bite on the obvious question.

Sitting in J/F, particularly for a longer flight, I might have three or four glasses of wine or mixed drinks. Obviously one doesn't drink a glass of wine or a gin & tonic in the same manner one chugs on a bottle of water. (well, mostly anyway. &#128513 It's usually 30-45 minutes of nursing the glass with sips while reading or watching a movie or working online. Is there "mask etiquette" for this, with masks required during the flight? Touching the mask multiple times to raise and lower with sips, and on and off for meal service and snacks, has it's own hygienic issues. (Although mainly to ones self and not others.).

To add, my question is sincere, not snarky. Will these requirements basically be the end of food & beverage service? I can see some passengers becoming very upset if they perceive someone sitting in close proximity is taking too much time to finish their meal and / drinking a beverage.
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:30 pm

Programs: Priority Club plat-Hertz 5*-AA gold-Marriott gold-Hilton silver
Hopefully this doesn't last long. I can't stand wearing the stupid things and I am not really sure how much good they actually do. I was looking forward to being able to start flying again this summer, but this puts a damper on that.
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
I certainly would not rely on AA (nor any other company) to provide adequate protection.
Anyway, since you are in the DFW area, Dallas county requires wearing a face mask in public, so you'd need one to get to the airport and inside the airport.
thanks. I wasn’t aware Dallas county required these.
Old Apr 30, 20, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
Okay, I will bite on the obvious question.

Sitting in J/F, particularly for a longer flight, I might have three or four glasses of wine or mixed drinks. Obviously one doesn't drink a glass of wine or a gin & tonic in the same manner one chugs on a bottle of water. (well, mostly anyway. &#128513 It's usually 30-45 minutes of nursing the glass with sips while reading or watching a movie or working online. Is there "mask etiquette" for this, with masks required during the flight? Touching the mask multiple times to raise and lower with sips, and on and off for meal service and snacks, has it's own hygienic issues. (Although mainly to ones self and not others.).

To add, my question is sincere, not snarky. Will these requirements basically be the end of food & beverage service? I can see some passengers becoming very upset if they perceive someone sitting in close proximity is taking too much time to finish their meal and / drinking a beverage.
I'm curious, too, how eating/drinking will be handled whether it be a snack bag served on board or a sandwich brought on board by a passenger. I bet only time and some data points will point us in a direction but I bet everyone's individual experience will be all over the map due to inconsistent policy implementation by FAs.
Old Apr 30, 20, 7:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Moderator note:

This is the American Airlines forum on FlyerTalk. Please keep the discussion at least remotely relevant to AA.
More general discussion on Coronavirus and/or the merits of wearing a mask belong in the relevant threads of the dedicated Coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Posts which do not have a connection to AA will be deleted.

Thank you

~moderator
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 30, 20, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
To attempt to move this back on topic. My concern is how the "rule" applies to eating and drinking. My last AA flight in early March was nearly empty, I wasn't overly concerned about people around me while in my seat since there weren't any. At that time I was one of the only people on the plane who had a mask at all, but I took it off entirely for eating and drinking. I put it back on when going to the lav or sleeping. I certainly hope that's how it's going to go for the time being until this "rule" goes away and you don't have some overly paranoid [email protected] a few seats away raising a hissy fit over it.
Old Apr 30, 20, 10:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Only for the next 20 minutes or so. As of 12am May 1, the Governor's re-opening order kicks in, making masks only "recommended" and superseding any local mandatory orders.
Old Apr 30, 20, 10:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator note:

This is the American Airlines forum on FlyerTalk. Please keep the discussion at least remotely relevant to AA.
More general discussion on Coronavirus and/or the merits of wearing a mask belong in the relevant threads of the dedicated Coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Posts which do not have a connection to AA will be deleted.

Thank you

~moderator
A number of posts better made in the Coronavirus Forum or OMNI have been deleted.

aztimm likes this.
Old May 1, 20, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
To attempt to move this back on topic. My concern is how the "rule" applies to eating and drinking. My last AA flight in early March was nearly empty, I wasn't overly concerned about people around me while in my seat since there weren't any. At that time I was one of the only people on the plane who had a mask at all, but I took it off entirely for eating and drinking. I put it back on when going to the lav or sleeping. I certainly hope that's how it's going to go for the time being until this "rule" goes away and you don't have some overly paranoid [email protected] a few seats away raising a hissy fit over it.
This may be their excuse to stop serving food or drink during flights entirely!
Old May 1, 20, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by remedy View Post
This may be their excuse to stop serving food or drink during flights entirely!
Yes but then will they allow people to bring on food and beverage? I do think one of the permanent features will be no beverage service in Y on sub 500 mile flights (maybe a cup of water) and no meals in F on flights under 2,200 miles.
Old May 1, 20, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
Yes but then will they allow people to bring on food and beverage? I do think one of the permanent features will be no beverage service in Y on sub 500 mile flights (maybe a cup of water) and no meals in F on flights under 2,200 miles.
Both your question and the question posed by the poster you just answered are two things I have thought about as well. Since this is so new it's going to take some time to refine. If someone is traveling long haul in domestic F and there is no food or just a bistro bag then of course people are going to be inclined to bring on board the kitchen sink.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: