Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks I'll look for those guidelines. Since I can't find any masks locally at a store I bought bandanas from Amazon.
Here is their page on cloth face coverings.
enviroian likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks I'll look for those guidelines. Since I can't find any masks locally at a store I bought bandanas from Amazon.
You can also find washable masks on Ebay, just make sure they are in the US for fast shipping and make sure they are not price gouging.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FAA1996
sure they are not price gouging.
That's half the problem unfortunately
Old May 8, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by FAA1996
You can also find washable masks on Ebay, just make sure they are in the US for fast shipping and make sure they are not price gouging.
That's half the problem unfortunately
FYI, my girlfriend's company, http://Purplestitchmonogramming is selling masks on http://Etsy. They're 100% cotton, triple pleated, and have an opening to add an additional filter. They sell for $17.50, and ship within a week or so. A lot of companies selling cheaper masks, are using polyester or poly/blend fabric, which is hard to breath through, and gets hot, which is probably what you're experiencing with the bandannas, Ian.

I'm putting this on here as a PSA, not to profiteer or promote her company inappropriately. She's working 12-14 hours a day, with a crew of five, so she doesn't necessarily need more business. I just want to give an option to people who are looking.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I think it is important for everybody on both sides to let AA know their feelings. I just sent a tweet letting them know my disappointment in a requirement for masks. I was polite and stated my reasons.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ksucats
I think it is important for everybody on both sides to let AA know their feelings. I just sent a tweet letting them know my disappointment in a requirement for masks. I was polite and stated my reasons.
May I ask what reasons you politely stated?

Thanks

James
asnovici likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:30 am

So I just saw this on AA website “ Masks will be required except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one.”

what are the conditions exactly? So basically anyone who says I have a medical condition gets a free pass?
Old May 10, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ksucats
great idea. Sent them an email conveying my support for the mask requirement.

i think they should also be more diligent about leaving middle seats unassigned as well, but failure to do so doesn’t detract from what I perceive are the legitimate benefits of wearing masks on planes and while boarding/deplaning.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gateH15
So I just saw this on AA website “ Masks will be required except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one.”

what are the conditions exactly? So basically anyone who says I have a medical condition gets a free pass?
Hopefully, they will be required to provide evidence to support such a claim
FAA1996 likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Hopefully, they will be required to provide evidence to support such a claim
actually I asked AA on twitter earlier today and they basically told me that they won’t be asking people for any proof and it’s up to you and you’re doctor to figure out if you have a condition that prevents you from wearing it. So it sounds like anyone who claims they have a “condition” will not be wearing it.
Old May 10, 2020, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a ridiculous approach by the airline - if someone is only exempt if holding a certain medical condition, then it should be making sure

There are too many 'I'm far too important to follow rules" people to just trust them
Old May 10, 2020, 1:11 am

What a ridiculous approach by the airline - if someone is only exempt if holding a certain medical condition, then it should be making sure

There are too many 'I'm far too important to follow rules" people to just trust them
well that’s what they told me on Twitter. I’m not sure if flight attendants or pilots will let those passengers fly.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Meh, I have continued to fly since day one of the virus. For my family and I COVID is a very low level concern. But I’ll wear a mask if that’s what I need to keep traveling. I don’t have a problem with that. I hope that I can remove it for a few moments a couple of times during flight, as it irritates my cheek and mouth area. Much like my BOSE annoys my ears and needs to be removed for a second or two. But otherwise, I do what I need to do, as I’m not going to change my work ethic or lifestyle based on the Chinese flu. And this is an easy DO. Cheers.
DFW_CK likes this.

Last edited by Tack; May 10, 2020 at 10:07 am
Old May 10, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat

I don't disagree, but I suspect they aren't asking as a CYA measure - medical privacy laws and what not.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
I don't disagree, but I suspect they aren't asking as a CYA measure - medical privacy laws and what not.
I have a medical condition is 2020 version of emotional support animal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.