Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

AA has updated its mask / facial covering policy. Please see the Wikipost above.

Travel requirements

When you check-in you'll be asked to confirm you've been free of COVID-19 symptoms for the past 14 days. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from getting sick.

Face coverings

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for children under 2 years old. If you decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.

Keep in mind:
  • You should bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • You’re required to wear a face covering from the time you enter the airport where your trip begins until you leave the airport where your trip ends.
  • A face covering can be a mask or any secured cloth that covers your nose and mouth and fits snugly under the chin.
  • A face shield can be worn with a face covering, but not in place of one.
  • Starting August 19, 2020, face coverings with exhaust valves or vents, or made with mesh or lace type fabric, will not be allowed.
  • You can briefly take your face covering off to eat or drink, but you must put it back on when you’re done.
Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for more information.

CDC recommendations for face coverings Opens another site in a new window that may not meet accessibility guidelines.
chrisny2, aztimm and thunderdeacon like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 25, 2020 at 7:08 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I couldn't understand whether or not these will be AA supplied or not?
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA supplied. You'll get a credit card application (featuring a special exclusive offer) along with a Marie Kondo instructional flyer on how to fold the application into a fully-compliant facemask.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
I certainly would not rely on AA (nor any other company) to provide adequate protection.
Anyway, since you are in the DFW area, Dallas county requires wearing a face mask in public, so you'd need one to get to the airport and inside the airport.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:25 pm

Okay, I will bite on the obvious question.

Sitting in J/F, particularly for a longer flight, I might have three or four glasses of wine or mixed drinks. Obviously one doesn't drink a glass of wine or a gin & tonic in the same manner one chugs on a bottle of water. (well, mostly anyway. &#128513 It's usually 30-45 minutes of nursing the glass with sips while reading or watching a movie or working online. Is there "mask etiquette" for this, with masks required during the flight? Touching the mask multiple times to raise and lower with sips, and on and off for meal service and snacks, has it's own hygienic issues. (Although mainly to ones self and not others.).

To add, my question is sincere, not snarky. Will these requirements basically be the end of food & beverage service? I can see some passengers becoming very upset if they perceive someone sitting in close proximity is taking too much time to finish their meal and / drinking a beverage.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Hopefully this doesn't last long. I can't stand wearing the stupid things and I am not really sure how much good they actually do. I was looking forward to being able to start flying again this summer, but this puts a damper on that.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Okay, I will bite on the obvious question.

Sitting in J/F, particularly for a longer flight, I might have three or four glasses of wine or mixed drinks. Obviously one doesn't drink a glass of wine or a gin & tonic in the same manner one chugs on a bottle of water. (well, mostly anyway. &#128513 It's usually 30-45 minutes of nursing the glass with sips while reading or watching a movie or working online. Is there "mask etiquette" for this, with masks required during the flight? Touching the mask multiple times to raise and lower with sips, and on and off for meal service and snacks, has it's own hygienic issues. (Although mainly to ones self and not others.).

To add, my question is sincere, not snarky. Will these requirements basically be the end of food & beverage service? I can see some passengers becoming very upset if they perceive someone sitting in close proximity is taking too much time to finish their meal and / drinking a beverage.
I'm curious, too, how eating/drinking will be handled whether it be a snack bag served on board or a sandwich brought on board by a passenger. I bet only time and some data points will point us in a direction but I bet everyone's individual experience will be all over the map due to inconsistent policy implementation by FAs.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

This is the American Airlines forum on FlyerTalk. Please keep the discussion at least remotely relevant to AA.
More general discussion on Coronavirus and/or the merits of wearing a mask belong in the relevant threads of the dedicated Coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Posts which do not have a connection to AA will be deleted.

Thank you

~moderator
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
To attempt to move this back on topic. My concern is how the "rule" applies to eating and drinking. My last AA flight in early March was nearly empty, I wasn't overly concerned about people around me while in my seat since there weren't any. At that time I was one of the only people on the plane who had a mask at all, but I took it off entirely for eating and drinking. I put it back on when going to the lav or sleeping. I certainly hope that's how it's going to go for the time being until this "rule" goes away and you don't have some overly paranoid w@nker a few seats away raising a hissy fit over it.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by aztimm
Anyway, since you are in the DFW area, Dallas county requires wearing a face mask in public, so you'd need one to get to the airport and inside the airport.
Only for the next 20 minutes or so. As of 12am May 1, the Governor's re-opening order kicks in, making masks only "recommended" and superseding any local mandatory orders.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aztimm
Moderator note:

This is the American Airlines forum on FlyerTalk. Please keep the discussion at least remotely relevant to AA.
More general discussion on Coronavirus and/or the merits of wearing a mask belong in the relevant threads of the dedicated Coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Posts which do not have a connection to AA will be deleted.

Thank you

~moderator
A number of posts better made in the Coronavirus Forum or OMNI have been deleted.

aztimm likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by dvs7310
To attempt to move this back on topic. My concern is how the "rule" applies to eating and drinking. My last AA flight in early March was nearly empty, I wasn't overly concerned about people around me while in my seat since there weren't any. At that time I was one of the only people on the plane who had a mask at all, but I took it off entirely for eating and drinking. I put it back on when going to the lav or sleeping. I certainly hope that's how it's going to go for the time being until this "rule" goes away and you don't have some overly paranoid w@nker a few seats away raising a hissy fit over it.
This may be their excuse to stop serving food or drink during flights entirely!
Old May 1, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by remedy
This may be their excuse to stop serving food or drink during flights entirely!
Yes but then will they allow people to bring on food and beverage? I do think one of the permanent features will be no beverage service in Y on sub 500 mile flights (maybe a cup of water) and no meals in F on flights under 2,200 miles.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Yes but then will they allow people to bring on food and beverage? I do think one of the permanent features will be no beverage service in Y on sub 500 mile flights (maybe a cup of water) and no meals in F on flights under 2,200 miles.
Both your question and the question posed by the poster you just answered are two things I have thought about as well. Since this is so new it's going to take some time to refine. If someone is traveling long haul in domestic F and there is no food or just a bistro bag then of course people are going to be inclined to bring on board the kitchen sink.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:53 am

2200 miles.... that basically means from the East coast DC area, the only flights with meal service in F will be to California. On a non-stop.

Not that the meals were anything to write home about. But still.

Hopefully AA will walk this back some in June.
ksucats likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.