Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by radonc1
Will this lead to the "Wheelchairs to Florida" routine we see so often on flights to the Sunshine State
<snipped
In addition to those people being fakes, they are also idiots. There is no need to waste wheelchairs for this. You don't need a wheelchair to preboard.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:12 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I have a medical condition that renders me unable to wear a mask. Why won't AA refund my tickets? I've got 12 through the end of the year, all purchased before the state of emergency was issued, and the credits are useless for me.

Confirmation from AA that you will not need to wear a mask:

May 7, 2020

Hello Mr. Spacecoastbill:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with American Airlines' decision to require all passengers to wear masks on board our flights. As a part of American Airline's ongoing commitment to prioritizing customer and team member well-being in response to the coronavirus pandemic, all customers traveling will be required to wear a face covering (or mask) while on board the aircraft beginning May 11. Very young passengers and those with conditions that prevent them from wearing a face covering will be exempt from the requirement.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the use of a simple face covering slows the spread of the virus and helps people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. More information regarding American's response and the new guidelines can be found in the Newsroom.

Mr. Spacecoastbill, I appreciate the interest you have taken in American and we hope to welcome you aboard soon.

Sincerely,
Customer Relations
American Airlines
Old May 10, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Perhaps now that people will bring their own masks, they could bring their own eye shades as well, so those of us who like daylight can leave the shades open
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
If you refuse to wear a mask on an AA flight, you can always drive or stay home. The mask helps protect ME from YOU.
according to AA twitter rep no one will be denied boarding if they state they have a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask. AA is in desperate need for cash. Mandatory masks are just marketing trick that will make people feel safer.
houstr8male likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by gateH15
according to AA twitter rep no one will be denied boarding if they state they have a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask. AA is in desperate need for cash. Mandatory masks are just marketing trick that will make people feel safer.
I wonder how many days (I am guessing less than 3) before there will be a national news story about a scuffle beteween passengers where one is upset somebody near them isn't wearing a mask. I don't see this mandate lasting long, but I guess we will see.
gateH15 likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
OK, keep telling yourself that... I'll be bringing my (used way more times than allowed) N95 along if I ever get back on a plane this year.
I’m also gonna be wearing N95 mask when I travel this year. All I’m saying that AA is gonna make exceptions for people who refuse to wear masks and no one will do anything about it u less they change their policy and require people to wear it, similar to how they require wear t-shirt and shoes.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Maybe it was covered in here and I missed it. Shouldn't I be able to request a refund now because of this requirement? My family had tickets for spring break that we had to cancel because of the lockdown. They are going to expire in November, but for us we have to use them by August to go anywhere meaningful because of school. If we don't want to use the tickets if masks are required, I think we should be able to get a refund since wearing a mask wasn't in the terms when we purchased the ticket.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Are there any reports of AA providing masks for pax showing up without them?

Also, for those of you who have N95s, where are you getting them? I've found none for sale and the ones at my work are guarded just about as closely as the cash on hand.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by brewdog11

Also, for those of you who have N95s, where are you getting them? I've found none for sale and the ones at my work are guarded just about as closely as the cash on hand.
I'm at MIA this AM. The announcements have been that they have masks for pax that do not have them. What I guess I'll find out soon is whether all F service stops because of the mask requirement.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I'm at MIA this AM. The announcements have been that they have masks for pax that do not have them. What I guess I'll find out soon is whether all F service stops because of the mask requirement.
[bolding mine]

That would be quite unfortunate. Got a flight upcoming in a week and I'd really like a Woodford to nurse. If they legitimately wanted to stop service for "safety reasons," they'd have to also disallow people from bringing food and beverages on board and consuming them. Otherwise it'd just be a too-obvious Doug Parker cost-cutting "strategy."
Old May 11, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brewdog11

I bought N95 masks back in February on ebay, boxes of 20 were about $30, unfortunately they are now either unavailable or 500-1000% more expensive. Wore them on my last flights in March, not bad for 3 or 4 hours but my face was pretty marked when I took it off. Only way I'll travel now is with an N95 on, with people not wanting to wear masks it's the only way to be protected on a flight, so in addition to many other things the availability of N95 masks will dictate when and how often I fly going forward.

ETA: make sure the masks you wear have the straps that go around your head if you want to protect yourself, otherwise they do not fit very well if using ear loops. Of course anything in front of your mouth and nose will protect others, but I think this is important if you are worried about protecting yourself from others.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ksucats
Maybe it was covered in here and I missed it. Shouldn't I be able to request a refund now because of this requirement? My family had tickets for spring break that we had to cancel because of the lockdown. They are going to expire in November, but for us we have to use them by August to go anywhere meaningful because of school. If we don't want to use the tickets if masks are required, I think we should be able to get a refund since wearing a mask wasn't in the terms when we purchased the ticket.
I don’t think not wanting to wear a mask is a valid reason to get a refund. If you have a condition that prevents you from wearing a mask you can still fly, but you will need to inform AA representative at the airport and you will be allowed to travel.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note--

If you'd like to dispute the merits of wearing a mask or not, please post to one of the threads in the Coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This thread is to discuss AA's implementation of the rule for passengers to wear masks, effective today 5/11/20.

Thank you.

~moderator
aaupgrade and carlosdca like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Just flew my first leg today, MIA/CLT. Announcement that masks must be worn except when eating or drinking. F FA did PDBs and in flight service (no snack basket). An announcement was made at the end that de-planning would be by rows. The FA called rows 1-4 (F) as the first group. This should go over really well on a late arriving a/c in a hub with connections.

Let's see what transpires on my second leg.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
<snip>The FA called rows 1-4 (F) as the first group. This should go over really well on a late arriving a/c in a hub with connections.
Honestly, this type of stuff is going to be the new reality for quite awhile I suspect. I'm not sure "how it goes over" will really be the driving function in defining procedures in this interim period. These type of things are exactly why we aren't planning to travel for quite awhile (unfortunately), but for those that don't have a choice, this will be their new reality.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.