Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers, said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDCs guidance.

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individuals nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from Americans face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with Americans face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If youre not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when youre done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Old May 11, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I have also noticed that with the greatly reduced schedule, American has been more likely to hold flights for tight connections than they were before.
ExpatExp and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 6:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thread closed for maintenance.

In the meantime, please note:

- General discussion about COVID-19 and it's impact on travel, industries, health, public policy, economies, etc. can be discuss in the Coronavirus forum (or OMNI if more appropriate there).
- This forum is for the discussion of AA and the AAdvantage program.

Multiple threads have gone off-track with general discussion about public health, bailouts, politics, and the like. Not only does this make it difficult for members to actually have discussion about the topic at hand, but it also creates a massive amount of work for the volunteer moderators to cleanup. Per FT Rules, members who continue to make disruptive posts and take threads off-topic may be subject to a formal warning or suspension of posting privileges.

Thread will be re-opened as soon as clean-up is finished and warnings/suspensions have been sent out. Thanks for your patience.

​​​​​​​/Moderator

---------------------------------------------

Edit to add:

Housekeeping complete. Again, please take mask discussion to the relevant thread in the Coronavirus forum and keep political discussions in OMNI P/R. And a reminder that repeat offenders may be subject to suspension of posting privileges. Thanks, everyone, for your cooperation and understanding. /Moderator
aaupgrade and aztimm like this.

Last edited by JY1024; May 13, 2020 at 6:23 pm Reason: Update
Old May 28, 2020, 6:12 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
This requirement applies to FAs too, right?

I ask because today I flew ORD-LAS and the 2 FAs I observed while sitting in F did have surgical-type masks...but other than during boarding wore them down on their chins rather than over their nose and mouth.

They were also adamant about no service in F...but then brought cokes to a uniformed pilot and FA also sitting in F.

Sigh.
Old May 28, 2020, 6:26 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by kokonutz

I ask because today I flew ORD-LAS and the 2 FAs I observed while sitting in F did have surgical-type masks...but other than during boarding wore them down on their chins rather than over their nose and mouth.

They were also adamant about no service in F...but then brought cokes to a uniformed pilot and FA also sitting in F.

Sigh.
Honestly, if I saw this behavior, I would call them out on it and let them know you will be writing to corporate. Obviously not when airborne, but upon disembarking.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CLT
Honestly, if I saw this behavior, I would call them out on it and let them know you will be writing to corporate. Obviously not when airborne, but upon disembarking.
If there's no food/beverage service then why do they even have cans of soda available on board?
Old May 28, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by ajf87
If there's no food/beverage service then why do they even have cans of soda available on board?
ORD-LAS should get full drink service in F and soft drinks/water only in Y.
AANYC1981 and ajf87 like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:09 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by ajf87
There was obviously drinks catering - but apparently only for NRSA employees?

But thats flying in the time of COVID.

I was far more surprised by the lack of mask discipline.
Old May 29, 2020, 6:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Sigh.
Ive seen this a number of times (both on massless FAs and no beverages policy) and complained to AA. Of course it didnt seem to do anything. Next time Im In DFW Im going to send a tweet for each gate agent not wearing a mask. Maybe that will perk them up?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
American, like other U.S. airlines, already requires customers to wear a face covering while on board aircraft. American already enforces this policy at the gate and will deny boarding to customers who dont comply. American now may also deny future travel for customers who refuse to wear a face covering. American made this change after working in conjunction with Airlines for America on an industrywide response.

We believe the face covering requirement is important, so customers will notice more reminders of our policy as they travel with us, both at the airport and in flight.

Some passengers are exempt from the face covering requirement, such as young children and those with a disability or medical reason for why they cannot wear a face covering. The policy also does not apply while eating or drinking.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.

See Wikipost for links, updates.
chrisny2, deeruck and aztimm like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I will be interested to see if AA actually takes action against pax who won't wear a mask (and hope that they do). UA has released some pretty detailed guidelines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32459089-post336.html) that makes it sound like they will.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I will be interested to see if AA actually takes action against pax who won't wear a mask (and hope that they do). UA has released some pretty detailed guidelines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32459089-post336.html) that makes it sound like they will.
Not sure how you take action when medical excuses are allowed... and anyone whos eating or drinking can also remove their masks.

Far too easy for someone who doesnt want to wear a mask to find a loophole... not worth the extra enforcement, IMO. We just have to accept that there will always be some level of risk, because youll never have 100% of passengers in masks 100% of the time.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:26 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by metallo
Not sure how you take action when medical excuses are allowed... and anyone whos eating or drinking can also remove their masks.

Far too easy for someone who doesnt want to wear a mask to find a loophole... not worth the extra enforcement, IMO. We just have to accept that there will always be some level of risk, because youll never have 100% of passengers in masks 100% of the time.
I agree. And what you will see next is pictures and videos of FAs and pilots with masks below their mouths on their chins or necks. On every single flight I have taken in the last few months (about 10 total) on AA and UA, the FAs had their masks lowered for long periods of time. I have never seen a pilot with a mask covering their mouth and nose when coming out for a potty break. Are FAs and pilots going to be put on a no-fly list? This really is a useless effort. Just slowly nurse your water and eat slowly.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
So what happens if you say you have a medical reason for not wearing it?

Is this going to be the new version of ESAs?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bchandler02

I see denied boarding coming into play.

No different if a drunk person was not fit to fly. If you cannot or will not don a mask you will not board.

I have absolutely no problem with this level of enforcement if so proposed.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02

Having an ESA is not as easy as you think it is.
In order to have an ESA on board, you have to file paperwork with AA in advance.
The paperwork includes a note from your doctor explaining you need the ESA.
You have to have the paperwork with you during the flight.

Of course you can have your neighbor (who happens to be a psychologist) to sign the forms you.

But it is not as easy as saying "hey, Lassie here with me is an ESA because I say so, so excuse me".

I am going to give ideas to AA here:
- Require all pax to answer a question at check-in "do you have a medical condition that does not allow you to wear a mask?" then if you answer yes, check-in online is not possible and have to see an agent at the airport.
Agent at airport quickly checks doctor's note about mask then off you go.
FA's can see in their tablets who checked the box of medical condition at check-in, if you didn't, then denied boarding or Dr. Chao style deboarding if you refuse to wear the mask.
Just a suggestion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.