Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Governator
Thanks for the reference. So all the ADA comments don't apply. But it seems pretty clear from the ACAA that you can state you have a disability and not be challenged. Seems the only exception is if they state in writing that you are a direct threat to others. That's a large step for an airline to take.
In addition, an air carrier may not prohibit a person with a disability from traveling unless it determines that the disability is a direct threat to the health or safety of others. In that instance, the air carrier must provide the individual with a written decision of its actions.

Well that's easy enough here.... Masks are to ensure the safety of others. If you can't wear one, you are a risk to their health and safety.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Mostly, me too. 🙄

My Aunt has asthma and allergies and short of breath. She's normally level headed and calm. If she wears a mask for more than a few minutes she struggles, ends up breathing horribly hard so every breath nearly blows the mask off. The first time she had to wear one back at work she became so agitated and anxious because she couldn't breathe she had a panic attack and started crying and then of course made the breathing worse. It was a basically a meltdown. She decided to take an early retirement offer the next day. Is it her breathing or anxiety and nerves? Honestly, no idea. It's not like her. But when she has to put one on to go in a grocery or store she's in almost in a state of panic.

I don't know what the answer is. Other than AA requiring a certification. And of course, yes, they will be bought and sold and abused as ESAs are.

I'm flying for the first time this weekend since January and am dreading it.

genuine question here. Are there specific types of medical conditions that only exist in the United States that prevents people from wearing masks? Because it seems like other countries in the world don't have a problem with wearing a mask.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Well usually an airline policy change is in a small microcosm only affecting relatively small groups within those who travel on that airline without health and life or death impact. In this case, masks are required due to a global pandemic in the macrocosm. I think feigning that it is just an airline policy ignoring the non-airline reason for it is a bit disingenuous.

I'm not sure if this was covered here or somewhere else on the forum, but after being rebooked on a later flight, that guy was banned from flying again on AA at least while masks are still required:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/u...on-straka.html

Last edited by MOC991; Jun 18, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MOC991
Well usually an airline policy change is in a small microcosm only affecting relatively small groups within those who travel on that airline without health and life or death impact. In this case, masks are required due to a global pandemic in the macrocosm. I think feigning that it is just an airline policy ignoring the non-airline reason for it is a bit disingenuous.
While AA may be motivated by factors that also exist outside the airline, the federal government has not implemented a mask requirement (with the FAA declining to do so again yesterday) so this is still a matter of company policy.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:16 pm

A lot of it comes down to respect of other people. Whether you disagree, or agree with the mask policy, let's all try to work together to have a nice flight. I'm going back to work next month, after 4 months off, and the only thing I wish for, is a peaceful atmosphere.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
While AA may be motivated by factors that also exist outside the airline, the federal government has not implemented a mask requirement (with the FAA declining to do so again yesterday) so this is still a matter of company policy.
I did not dispute it being a company policy. I just pointed out that it was a company policy put in place due to a global pandemic, which is different than an airline policy change such as only offering snacks on flights less than 2 hours like you are trying to reduce it to. Persisting down this line of argument beyond that is silly and clearly intentionally trying to create a false equivalency.

The reality is there is a global pandemic with a confirmed 8.4million+ cases and 453,000+ dead as of right now. Based on previous pandemics and the excess deaths in the past few months, the numbers are much higher. Unlike that past pandemic data, those are confirmed cases rather than those adjusted to account for unconfirmed cases and deaths. The federal, state, and local governments at the least have issued guidelines recommending mask usage. Many state and local governments are requiring masks.

AA, although not required to by federal law, can enforce their mask policy and they have shown that they will just like any private business can enforce mask usage. In the US, you likely do not have a constitutional or legal protection to not wear a mask beyond if it could negatively affect you for legitimate medical reasons, which their policy seems to try to account for. They could clarify if medical documentation is needed. Beyond that, the only winner to any lawsuits, which seem inevitable based on the unfortunately politicized rhetoric surrounding this pandemic, will likely be the lawyers who take the cases laughing all the way to the bank. On airlines, it would be even less likely to be successful to sue not to wear masks since federal law does give air crew a great deal of discretion over removing passengers.
skylady likes this.

Last edited by MOC991; Jun 18, 2020 at 11:44 pm
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
While AA may be motivated by factors that also exist outside the airline
As this is the AA forum, please elaborate on what factors may be motivating AA...I'm all ears...
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:01 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
In addition, an air carrier may not prohibit a person with a disability from traveling unless it determines that the disability is a direct threat to the health or safety of others. In that instance, the air carrier must provide the individual with a written decision of its actions.

Well that's easy enough here.... Masks are to ensure the safety of others. If you can't wear one, you are a risk to their health and safety.

You highlighted it yourself. a DIRECT threat.

That mans you need a person exhibiting symptoms and coughing all over the place.

Your generic "its all a risk" fails the test.
TheDudeAbides and grrizzli like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
You highlighted it yourself. a DIRECT threat.

That mans you need a person exhibiting symptoms and coughing all over the place.

Your generic "its all a risk" fails the test.
"Direct threat" is defined as "a significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of the individual or others that cannot be eliminated or reduced by reasonable accommodation.”

Given the ongoing outbreak and official CDC guidelines to wear masks, it seems easy to argue that not wearing a mask prima facie constitutes a "significant risk to health and safety."

Edit:Note that the airline can eject you from the plane if you can't fit into the seat on the theory that not fitting into the seat properly is too dangerous in case of a crash etc. The risk of actually being hurt in a crash like that seems lower than the risk from covid19 at the moment.

Last edited by dangersquid; Jun 19, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesinclair

And, by the way, the exact same text is also in the ADA, just to close the loop on that. I'm sure the commonality is not a coincidence.
jamesinclair likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MOC991

I'm not sure if this was covered here or somewhere else on the forum, but after being rebooked on a later flight, that guy was banned from flying again on AA at least while masks are still required:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/u...on-straka.html
According to that twitter feed, the FA asked if he had paperwork (for his medical condition)
What paperwork was required to present to the FA? I did not see anything on the AA site about paperwork when they announced the change
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
According to that twitter feed, the FA asked if he had paperwork (for his medical condition)
What paperwork was required to present to the FA? I did not see anything on the AA site about paperwork when they announced the change
I would be willing to bet a very large amount of money that he was not diagnosed as unable to wear a mask by a doctor.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by dangersquid
I would be willing to bet a very large amount of money that he was not diagnosed as unable to wear a mask by a doctor.
Straka is a professional victim and provocateur, a wanna-be Milo Yappawhatever V2.0 angling for a Fox News show.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dangersquid
You're likely correct, but I can't find where AA's policy states the need for such diagnosis.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
You're likely correct, but I can't find where AA's policy states the need for such diagnosis.
Does AA have a written policy informing people that they have to wear a seatbelt? Or that you can't smoke on the plane? Or is that all just something that you find out when you're on the plane?
asnovici likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.