FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2016845-aa-passenger-facial-cover-mask-use-policy-2020-inc-changes.html)

JDiver Apr 30, 2020 3:47 pm

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

AA has updated its mask / facial covering policy. Please see the Wikipost above.

Travel requirements

When you check-in you'll be asked to confirm you've been free of COVID-19 symptoms for the past 14 days. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from getting sick.
https://www.aa.com/content/images/tr...n-mask-new.jpg

Face coverings

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for children under 2 years old. If you decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.

Keep in mind:
  • You should bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • You’re required to wear a face covering from the time you enter the airport where your trip begins until you leave the airport where your trip ends.
  • A face covering can be a mask or any secured cloth that covers your nose and mouth and fits snugly under the chin.
  • A face shield can be worn with a face covering, but not in place of one.
  • Starting August 19, 2020, face coverings with exhaust valves or vents, or made with mesh or lace type fabric, will not be allowed.
  • You can briefly take your face covering off to eat or drink, but you must put it back on when you’re done.
Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for more information.

CDC recommendations for face coverings Opens another site in a new window that may not meet accessibility guidelines.

enviroian Apr 30, 2020 4:06 pm

I couldn't understand whether or not these will be AA supplied or not?

jcatman Apr 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32338884)

AA supplied. You'll get a credit card application (featuring a special exclusive offer) along with a Marie Kondo instructional flyer on how to fold the application into a fully-compliant facemask. :rolleyes:

aztimm Apr 30, 2020 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32338884)

I certainly would not rely on AA (nor any other company) to provide adequate protection.
Anyway, since you are in the DFW area, Dallas county requires wearing a face mask in public, so you'd need one to get to the airport and inside the airport.

cmtlatitudes Apr 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Okay, I will bite on the obvious question.

Sitting in J/F, particularly for a longer flight, I might have three or four glasses of wine or mixed drinks. Obviously one doesn't drink a glass of wine or a gin & tonic in the same manner one chugs on a bottle of water. (well, mostly anyway. 😁) It's usually 30-45 minutes of nursing the glass with sips while reading or watching a movie or working online. Is there "mask etiquette" for this, with masks required during the flight? Touching the mask multiple times to raise and lower with sips, and on and off for meal service and snacks, has it's own hygienic issues. (Although mainly to ones self and not others.).

To add, my question is sincere, not snarky. Will these requirements basically be the end of food & beverage service? I can see some passengers becoming very upset if they perceive someone sitting in close proximity is taking too much time to finish their meal and / drinking a beverage.

ksucats Apr 30, 2020 4:30 pm

Hopefully this doesn't last long. I can't stand wearing the stupid things and I am not really sure how much good they actually do. I was looking forward to being able to start flying again this summer, but this puts a damper on that.

Drwaz99 Apr 30, 2020 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 32338928)
Okay, I will bite on the obvious question.

Sitting in J/F, particularly for a longer flight, I might have three or four glasses of wine or mixed drinks. Obviously one doesn't drink a glass of wine or a gin & tonic in the same manner one chugs on a bottle of water. (well, mostly anyway. 😁) It's usually 30-45 minutes of nursing the glass with sips while reading or watching a movie or working online. Is there "mask etiquette" for this, with masks required during the flight? Touching the mask multiple times to raise and lower with sips, and on and off for meal service and snacks, has it's own hygienic issues. (Although mainly to ones self and not others.).

To add, my question is sincere, not snarky. Will these requirements basically be the end of food & beverage service? I can see some passengers becoming very upset if they perceive someone sitting in close proximity is taking too much time to finish their meal and / drinking a beverage.

I'm curious, too, how eating/drinking will be handled whether it be a snack bag served on board or a sandwich brought on board by a passenger. I bet only time and some data points will point us in a direction but I bet everyone's individual experience will be all over the map due to inconsistent policy implementation by FAs.

aztimm Apr 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Moderator note:

This is the American Airlines forum on FlyerTalk. Please keep the discussion at least remotely relevant to AA.
More general discussion on Coronavirus and/or the merits of wearing a mask belong in the relevant threads of the dedicated Coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Posts which do not have a connection to AA will be deleted.

Thank you

~moderator

dvs7310 Apr 30, 2020 9:35 pm

To attempt to move this back on topic. My concern is how the "rule" applies to eating and drinking. My last AA flight in early March was nearly empty, I wasn't overly concerned about people around me while in my seat since there weren't any. At that time I was one of the only people on the plane who had a mask at all, but I took it off entirely for eating and drinking. I put it back on when going to the lav or sleeping. I certainly hope that's how it's going to go for the time being until this "rule" goes away and you don't have some overly paranoid w@nker a few seats away raising a hissy fit over it.

Steve M Apr 30, 2020 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32338919)
Anyway, since you are in the DFW area, Dallas county requires wearing a face mask in public, so you'd need one to get to the airport and inside the airport.

Only for the next 20 minutes or so. As of 12am May 1, the Governor's re-opening order kicks in, making masks only "recommended" and superseding any local mandatory orders.

JDiver Apr 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32339296)
Moderator note:

This is the American Airlines forum on FlyerTalk. Please keep the discussion at least remotely relevant to AA.
More general discussion on Coronavirus and/or the merits of wearing a mask belong in the relevant threads of the dedicated Coronavirus forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

Posts which do not have a connection to AA will be deleted.

Thank you

~moderator

A number of posts better made in the Coronavirus Forum or OMNI have been deleted.

remedy May 1, 2020 7:25 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 32339516)
To attempt to move this back on topic. My concern is how the "rule" applies to eating and drinking. My last AA flight in early March was nearly empty, I wasn't overly concerned about people around me while in my seat since there weren't any. At that time I was one of the only people on the plane who had a mask at all, but I took it off entirely for eating and drinking. I put it back on when going to the lav or sleeping. I certainly hope that's how it's going to go for the time being until this "rule" goes away and you don't have some overly paranoid w@nker a few seats away raising a hissy fit over it.

This may be their excuse to stop serving food or drink during flights entirely!

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 1, 2020 9:39 am

Originally Posted by remedy (Post 32340349)
This may be their excuse to stop serving food or drink during flights entirely!

Yes but then will they allow people to bring on food and beverage? I do think one of the permanent features will be no beverage service in Y on sub 500 mile flights (maybe a cup of water) and no meals in F on flights under 2,200 miles.

enviroian May 1, 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George (Post 32340688)
Yes but then will they allow people to bring on food and beverage? I do think one of the permanent features will be no beverage service in Y on sub 500 mile flights (maybe a cup of water) and no meals in F on flights under 2,200 miles.

Both your question and the question posed by the poster you just answered are two things I have thought about as well. Since this is so new it's going to take some time to refine. If someone is traveling long haul in domestic F and there is no food or just a bistro bag then of course people are going to be inclined to bring on board the kitchen sink.

cmtlatitudes May 1, 2020 9:53 am

2200 miles.... that basically means from the East coast DC area, the only flights with meal service in F will be to California. On a non-stop.

Not that the meals were anything to write home about. But still.

Hopefully AA will walk this back some in June.