Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by wjj
That last sentence is not clear as to whether proof of having recovered from Covid-19 (and hence have antibodies) is all that is needed. It can be read to state exemptions require 1) doctor note + negative Covid-19 test OR 2) proof of having recovered from Covid-19. That is tens of millions of people. What about vaccinated people? This is going to be a moving target for quite some time.
The comma before "as well as" indicates that you need (1) doctor's note, plus (2) either negative test or proof of recovery.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The number of licensed health care providers who are likely to be prepared to certify proof of recovery rather than simply sending their patient for a test, is likely to be quite small. Unlimited liability for the former. Minor hassle for the latter.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The comma before "as well as" indicates that you need (1) doctor's note, plus (2) either negative test or proof of recovery.
Logically 'and' is processed before 'or' , so it is reading that it is either
(a) documentation and proof of negative test
or
(b) proof of recovery
Old Feb 3, 2021, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Logically 'and' is processed before 'or' , so it is reading that it is either
(a) documentation and proof of negative test
or
(b) proof of recovery
Actually, the comma before "as well as" goes the other way. Now, I think you might be correct about what they meant to say but I don't think they phrased it accurately.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
Actually, the comma before "as well as" goes the other way. Now, I think you might be correct about what they meant to say but I don't think they phrased it accurately.
The comma does nothing to affect the combination - it is jut grammatically incorrect being present

It seems poor that he company didn't just use a bullet point list; there there would have been no ambiguity
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The comma does nothing to affect the combination - it is jut grammatically incorrect being present

It seems poor that he company didn't just use a bullet point list; there there would have been no ambiguity
If this were litigated in the US, the comma would almost certainly be the fact that tips the interpretation in favor of (note + (test or proof of recovery) rather than ((note + test) or (proof of recovery). Rules for "processing" and "before" or aren't really the issue in contract interpretation, etc. More likely the reasoning would come down to a matter of analogy. This sentence is more like "you get steak, as well as soup or salad" than it is like "you can either have steak and soup, or you can have salad."

End of the day, yes, the grammar is incorrect and the sentence is ambiguous and that will only compound the cluster that mask enforcement has and will become. I think we can agree on that!
Old Feb 3, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
The number of licensed health care providers who are likely to be prepared to certify proof of recovery rather than simply sending their patient for a test, is likely to be quite small. Unlimited liability for the former. Minor hassle for the latter.
I disagree and am unsure how you reached these conclusions -- specifically, the idea that there would be any appreciable potential liability for a physician who certifies that a patient had COVID-19 infection and has recovered (assuming we're talking weeks to months later, rather than days), as well as the assertion that healthcare providers would prefer to order new, unnecessary tests (particularly if that test is within 90 days of the positive test), rather than simply providing requested documentation of the prior infection and subsequent clinical improvement.
platbrownguy and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by metallo
I disagree and am unsure how you reached these conclusions -- specifically, the idea that there would be any appreciable potential liability for a physician who certifies that a patient had COVID-19 infection and has recovered (assuming we're talking weeks to months later, rather than days), as well as the assertion that healthcare providers would prefer to order new, unnecessary tests (particularly if that test is within 90 days of the positive test), rather than simply providing requested documentation of the prior infection and subsequent clinical improvement.
Nope, the last 20+ years has been all about testing and less about using clinical judgment. One of the primary reasons for the expensive health care in the U.S.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by metallo
"All you had to do doctor, is order this $3.00 test (because that's what they are going to test) and none of these 120 passengers would have been infected because you made the wrong call."

As I think about it further, I have to ask myself whether it is easier for me to obtain a quick & cheap (if not free) test rather than a letter which may require an appointment or visit and certainly involves some interaction and wait.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Nope, the last 20+ years has been all about testing and less about using clinical judgment. One of the primary reasons for the expensive health care in the U.S.
I would agree that this has been the general pattern in medicine (less reliance on clinical judgment from, say, physical exam skills, with more emphasis on labs, imaging, etc.), but that's not really what's being discussed here.

Back on topic, there's little reason to assume a test would be preferable in the situation referenced in the recent posts. We're talking about a physician certifying someone tested positive for COVID and then clinically improved... not about whether they need to make a diagnosis by history and physical exam without ever doing a test (the test would have been done weeks to months before the documentation is requested).
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:06 am

"All you had to do doctor, is order this $3.00 test (because that's what they are going to test) and none of these 120 passengers would have been infected because you made the wrong call."

As I think about it further, I have to ask myself whether it is easier for me to obtain a quick & cheap (if not free) test rather than a letter which may require an appointment or visit and certainly involves some interaction and wait.
While it might be more convenient for you to get a repeat test, as opposed to going to the apparent hassle of simply requesting your test results or having your physician complete a form (depending on whatever the specific requirements end up being), that isn't what was being discussed. It also certainly doesn't mean that healthcare providers in general will recommend repeat testing when they're simply being asked to document prior infection.

It seems like you're trying to make the argument that physicians will be worried about liability for filling out a form that asks about prior infection and recovery. There will be no such worry, as long as everything completed on paper is factual (past positive test, check... clinical improvement, check... completed the recommended self-isolation period, check).

Healthcare providers are not going to be asked to guarantee someone's immunity and/or lack of potential infectivity after a positive test, because that's currently impossible. I'm therefore still not sure why you're so convinced this is such a potentially high liability issue (I believe you said "unlimited liability" in your prior post).
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:51 pm

This seems quite ludicrous ; a doctor confirning that a patient tested positive on date 1 and then shown to be recovered on date 2 is simply providing facts; it isn't the doctor that is choosing to use this information to allow the person to travel on a flight, but the airline
metallo and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:40 pm
Suspended

It may well be ludicrous. But, so are many lawsuits in the US.

We shall see. I predict that there will be few licensed HCP's willing to do this. One may believe otherwise.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 2:25 pm

We shall see. I predict that there will be few licensed HCP's willing to do this. One may believe otherwise.
The doctor is not making any determination that the person is fit to fly, simply providing confirmation that person had the disease; I find it unlikely that a doctor will refuse to confirm that someone had had the disease

The airline is choosing to allow someone to travel as long as that person has the confirmation. Even in the USA, I cannot see that a doctor simply providing requested medical facts can be liable if a 3rd party has made a judgement error in deciding that this makes the person ok to travel

If the doctor is being asked to confirm fitness to travel, then I could see a risk on the doctor's part

If the barometer reads that the pressure is 1010 hPa , someone decides to go out on a boat but has problems because the weather changes and pressue drops to 890hPa , would the maker of the barometer be liable since they relied on the details that the barometer showed or would it be the person's fault for not allowing for potential change?
metallo likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 12:59 am

Some jurisdictions actually have COVID-19 immunity laws for healthcare workers during the pandemic, but I don't think they'd need to be relied upon in this situation. You can go on thinking that physicians answering questions accurately on requested paperwork creates some sort of "unlimited liability." I don't see any reason to worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.