Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
I was asked Thursday to raise and lower my mask between bites of food. She said it was a new policy. I was actively eating. Not dilly dallying. Has anyone seen/heard this?
Old Feb 6, 2021, 3:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Hi everyone - a few folks that have started to stray off-topic have been deleted. Please help us keep this discussion focused on traveling on AA and the current mask policy on the airline. Debate about legality, liability, healthcare systems, etc. can be conducted over in OMNI for those who are qualified. Thanks much. /Moderator
aztimm and onanisland like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:54 pm

Does AA allow covered valved masks?

I see there's a sensible restriction on valved masks. Has anyone tried boarding an AA flight with a valved mask where the valve is covered by a separate mask?

This is my first flight since the pandemic, and with my face shape, I can't get a good seal with a disposable respirator, so I'm hoping to use a plastic one, but they all have vents. Covering the vent with a mask seems like a good compromise, but I'm curious what other people's experience has been.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
AA related valved masks

Double masking should now be standard. I bought valved KN95 masks last March. We wore them on 14 domestic flights from October to late January. We also had a mask over those valved masks. 10 flights were AA. 4 were UA. Nobody said anything as long as you had something covering the valve. In our experience AA mask discipline varied wildly, from nose uncovered? No problem to “cover that nose buster”. Just be aware they are universally ok with crowding in the aisle, so face away from the aisle and don’t breath during boarding on AA.
Fly2Connect and DC9 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What matters is that you have a compliant mask. In addition to that compliant mask, you can have anything you want (face shield and so on).
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume if they can’t see the valves Because there’s a mask over them you won’t have a problem.
AAway, metallo, LovePrunes and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yea, given that the problem with the valve is that it effectively offers no source control, and that a mask over it would help solve for that problem, you should be fine.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If the other mask by itself meets the mask requirement, then you should have no problems whether you wear a valved mask or no mask at all under it.
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've witnessed a flight attendant tell a passenger that the valved mask they were wearing isn't acceptable and was given another mask by AA to wear (or deplane).
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:35 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don’t know if it appears in their rules, but I’ve seen them board someone who had a surgical mask on over a valved one. Bring some surgical masks just in case.

I’ve started wearing two. A tight-fitting surgical under another regular fit one.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I routinely wear a tight fitting valved P95 with an outer surgical mask. This provides very good protection to both the wearer and others around you. I’ve never been questioned including at medical facilities.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
I've witnessed a flight attendant tell a passenger that the valved mask they were wearing isn't acceptable and was given another mask by AA to wear (or deplane).
The question isn't about a valved mask alone (it is long-settled that this not a suitable face covering under American's policies) but about wearing a valved mask underneath another compliant mask.
ijgordon, TWA884 and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
The question isn't about a valved mask alone (it is long-settled that this not a suitable face covering under American's policies) but about wearing a valved mask underneath another compliant mask.
Pax on CLT-MIA flight yesterday was given a surgical mask by the FA to wear over a valved mask, which he was allowed to keep on as well.
TWA884 and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:24 am

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but showing up with a surgical mask alraeady in place covering a valved mask is very likely to be accepted (or not noticed), as it shows you've already thought of and addressed the issue. On the other hand, rocking up to the gate with just a valved N95 mask shows the person doesn't really understand any of this and needs handholding to address. Some may explain how covering it works, some may just request you switch it out completely. Much better to avoid it coming up (and protect all the people you encounter until that point) by just covering it with a surgical mask from the start.
ExpatExp and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jmastron
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but showing up with a surgical mask alraeady in place covering a valved mask is very likely to be accepted (or not noticed), as it shows you've already thought of and addressed the issue. On the other hand, rocking up to the gate with just a valved N95 mask shows the person doesn't really understand any of this and needs handholding to address. Some may explain how covering it works, some may just request you switch it out completely. Much better to avoid it coming up (and protect all the people you encounter until that point) by just covering it with a surgical mask from the start.
All depending on whether you want to purchase the cheap 20 cent or deluxe 50 cent single use mask.

It's all getting a bit old and one can test this as much as one wants just to find that one GA who denies boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.