Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by cmd320
I've definitely seen them heated right in the ramekins before. I can usually tell when the ramekin is served very hot.
I have too! But those ramekins are also definitely not flammable. (Nut packaging probably isn't either - i just could see flight attendants not wanting to deal with any potential thoughts of risk. And maybe they would have thought it was dirty to put passengers' brought-onboard food into the oven even before coronavirus.)
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
I suspect they might not because they wouldn't have a foil pan like the nuts normally come in - and they wouldn't know whether the packaging could be a fire risk.
Think about it, if you were another passenger, how would you feel about the flight crew heating up any sort of food that a random passenger brought on board, from an unverified source, with unknown contaminants (allergens, pathogens, etc), in the same oven that they heat up your meal in, especially in this day and age?

In this era of reduced touchpoints and minimized risk of disease transmission, it's unthinkable and would never happen. Even if you as the person bringing something on board know exactly what's in it, that it was hygienically packed, that you have tested negative for covid, etc., there is no way for the crew to verify any of that information. It would be a shocking lapse of protocol if it actually happened.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Think about it, if you were another passenger, how would you feel about the flight crew heating up any sort of food that a random passenger brought on board, from an unverified source, with unknown contaminants (allergens, pathogens, etc), in the same oven that they heat up your meal in, especially in this day and age?

In this era of reduced touchpoints and minimized risk of disease transmission, it's unthinkable and would never happen. Even if you as the person bringing something on board know exactly what's in it, that it was hygienically packed, that you have tested negative for covid, etc., there is no way for the crew to verify any of that information. It would be a shocking lapse of protocol if it actually happened.
Being that it's going in an oven I doubt I would really care?

FAs use the ovens to heat their own food all the time.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Being that it's going in an oven I doubt I would really care?

FAs use the ovens to heat their own food all the time.
Nonetheless, it's going to be handled and passed through common galley areas. Even if disease weren't the primary consideration, issues like allergens (what if the brought-from-home nut mix has peanuts) and other liabilities abound.

It would definitely be a violation of policy, but I suppose I shouldn't say it would never happen. You never know what an individual FA would do. I certainly wouldn't expect it.

​​​​​​An FA heats up his or her own food accepts liability for their own actions, cause they know where it came from presumably. If it were determined that cross-contamination from their food made somebody else sick, they would certainly be held responsible.
​​​​
That same FA would be significantly less willing to accept liability for food that a random passenger brings on board.

​​
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
random passenger brought on board, from an unverified source, with unknown contaminants (allergens, pathogens, etc), in the same oven that they heat up your meal in, especially in this day and age?

LOL I'm talking about an unopened bag of Planter's peanuts I bought at A26, not an IED.

There are plenty of passengers every day who bring onboard snacks (I always bring chex mix on board). I don't see a flight attendant making the announcement "welcome aboard folks. If you have any snacks you may hiding deadly pathogens, biological agents, anthrax, ragweed etc please place them in the garbage".
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
LOL I'm talking about an unopened bag of Planter's peanuts I bought at A26, not an IED.

There are plenty of passengers every day who bring onboard snacks (I always bring chex mix on board). I don't see a flight attendant making the announcement "welcome aboard folks. If you have any snacks you may hiding deadly pathogens, biological agents, anthrax, ragweed etc please place them in the garbage".
there's a big difference between bringing something on board for your own consumption and asking them to put it in the oven with the rest of the meals to heat them up.

especially if you are bringing planters peanuts on board, perhaps the most common allergen. I can't imagine that they would ever put that in the oven.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
there's a big difference between bringing something on board for your own consumption and asking them to put it in the oven with the rest of the meals to heat them up.

especially if you are bringing planters peanuts on board, perhaps the most common allergen. I can't imagine that they would ever put that in the oven.
Right...

I guess it really just depends on how much you’re willing to slip the FA along with the bag of peanuts.
standbyalldtime likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

There are plenty of passengers every day who bring onboard snacks (I always bring chex mix on board). I don't see a flight attendant making the announcement "welcome aboard folks. If you have any snacks you may hiding deadly pathogens, biological agents, anthrax, ragweed etc please place them in the garbage" oven .
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
My FIL flew LAS-DCA today and they didn't provide the fruit and cheese box...flight left Vegas about 1:45, but I was surprised to hear when we picked him up.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I suspect they might not because they wouldn't have a foil pan like the nuts normally come in - and they wouldn't know whether the packaging could be a fire risk.
The issue of putting food of unknown source in the oven is definitely an issue, but this is the real obstacle. Nut packaging is all over the map. There are “foil” looking wrappers that have flammable plastic layers, at the same time there are plastic, see-through wrappers that are actually heat resistant, counter to what most people think would be safe. A FA isn’t going to know which are which unless marked, and in almost all cases the small wrappers are not marked because most people don’t throw individual nut packets in a 350 degree oven.

Funny enough, at one point years ago (pre-CO) United actually sourced nut packets in plastic, non-foil packets that were designed for the ovens onboard. I don’t think they worked as well as expected though, I think I only saw them heated twice.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Sadly the F service is all over the map. As far as the "ovens." Did you ever stop to think what the typical restaurant oven must be like.
apeortdz and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:34 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Please review the topic of this thread and help us keep discussion on track... Thanks. /Moderator
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by Herb687
Last time I flew MIA-TPA (this was pre-COVID) I was also able to enjoy not one but two cocktails in F. And I think the aforementioned snack mix too. The very nice FA even cheated a bit and let me keep my drink until we were almost "outer marker inbound." That was on an A319 so preparing the F cabin and galley for landing is twice as quick as on a 738/321.

I don't fly intrastate within Texas on AA all that often but I can't remember not having a full bar service when in F.
I love the MIA TPA flights, especially at night. You are so right about sitting back and just hanging with the non-revs sitting up front.
Whatever there is to eat and drink, they will bring it out. And nice people.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Herb687
I don't fly intrastate within Texas on AA all that often but I can't remember not having a full bar service when in F.
Once airborne, I also have had full bar service offered on each of my flights in F including AUS-DFW and DFW-AUS. Though next week I have my first flights since January so we'll see.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had six flights over the weekend:
  • LAS - LAX where the FA proactively took drinks orders before departure and served them promptly once in the air. He also did a 2nd round of drinks. Great service.
  • LAX - PHX where the FA served on request but that was it
  • PHX - SJC where the FA asked me and my wife more or less immediately after takeoff if we wanted drinks. We initially said no, but he came round a little later and we both had wine / water. Again, really great service
  • LAX - DFW on a B789 with a full service offered including the cheese platter. The FA who served me my mimosa gave me the bottle and a separate cup with juice so I could self-mix. The second FA who served me only gave me 1/2 a bottle of champagne as it was the last one left and someone on the other side of the plane (my wife) was drinking it. She had to order it so I could make myself a 2nd drink. The FAs were also bickering amongst themselves and shouting down the length of the business cabin pre-departure as someone started the safety video too early!
  • DFW - PHX where we had a full service from an attentive FA
  • PHX - LAS where we had no service whatsoever but where the FA still found time to make 2 announcements about Aviator credit cards and tout the application forms along the full length of the plane! This really riled me. Either it's unsafe to do drinks AND credit card pitches or it's safe to do both!
​​​​​​​I'm going to post in the other thread about my lounge experiences. All in all the flights were good, but PHX yesterday evening was the busiest I have seen it in a long time!
seigex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.