Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I had a problem with a ticket that had been reissued to accommodate schedule changes. Took three weeks for the refund to process and only after intervention from the Twitter team. $2000 credit on my Amex account arrived within a few hours.
The delay between it being sent for processing and receipt is around 3 weeks.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I bought a package via Expedia but was successful in requesting a full refund via AA.com after my flight (to Barbados) was cancelled. Very easy.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:11 am

Like so many here, I have had upcoming BA flights to the US cancelled and want to raise a refund. I think I saw here that someone had managed to get through recently, with only a short wait - I’m still trying to get through and get the usual message before being cut off! Does anyone know of another BA number (UK) to call? Although my flight would have been a couple of weeks away, I also have car and hotel booked with BA, so need to find out if I can claim refunds for those too. I’d have hoped the main rush over re - booking and so on might have calmed down enough by now to be able to get through.

Any help very much appreciated!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
I rang up. I didn't entirely understand what the problem was—I think it was something to do with the ticket change turning a non-stop LHR–JFK route into LHR–MIA and MIA–JFK—but the upshot is that they're now processing the correct refund. It'll take 7–10 business days, presumably because it was done over the phone and not online (an agent the other day told me refunds are being processed much more quickly when done via the prefunds site).
I called on Tuesday and, despite being told it would be 7–10 business days before the refund came through, the money has been credited back to my card this morning. A very pleasant surprise.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Does the 4-step process in the Wiki apply also to award travel?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:59 am

"Request a Refund" link on AA prefunds site doesn't work

Been attempting to request a refund (due to schedule change) online for the last two days. The "Request a Refund" link appears deactivated; my cursor recognizes it as a link, but nothing happens when clicking on it. I use both Chrome and Safari. Anyone else have the same experience?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trudyscout
Been attempting to request a refund (due to schedule change) online for the last two days. The "Request a Refund" link appears deactivated; my cursor recognizes it as a link, but nothing happens when clicking on it. I use both Chrome and Safari. Anyone else have the same experience?
just tried it. Works fine to me.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
mine was a LAX-LHR-LAX that got turned into. LAX-DFW-LHR-DFW-LAX. I needed to call in to cancel as I had a miles upgrade applied in both directions. I will be at 10 days tomorrow with prefunds still showing as “pending review”.
Mine was also LAX-LHR-LAX, mid-April, two pax, using SWUs to upgrade. Same change of flights. I telephoned EP desk to cancel on March 24. The refund appeared on my credit card April 1, and the SWUs were returned to my account.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
Originally Posted by fwdlink
Data Point
So for anyone wondering with a manual review where you called in, our's has flipped this evening to "Pending Review" in red when using the "Request a Refund" tab. The Status tab still says "we couldn't find your request." It's clear it's moving through now, the time elapsed to flip to this state is roughly 48hrs in our case (Sat-Mon). Now let's see how long the review takes...
Data Point Update, so again we had a manual review, in addition to the quoted portion above, I can confirm that after it went to Pending Review it was just a few hours and by morning we were fully refunded. The funds arrived another 24hrs later into my card.

In total 4 consecutive days processing, (we called on a Saturday) and funds on day 5.

Now just need our "orphan" flight to cancel and we'll go through it one more time.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Our refund went into pending review on Monday and is still showing pending review 5 days later.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by catcher1
Mine was also LAX-LHR-LAX, mid-April, two pax, using SWUs to upgrade. Same change of flights. I telephoned EP desk to cancel on March 24. The refund appeared on my credit card April 1, and the SWUs were returned to my account.
I have a similar reservation for May. The LAX-LHR flight is clearly cancelled since they've announced it and aren't selling seats, but when I look online or on the app it does not show the flight as cancelled. I guess this means I need to call for a refund?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
As expected my KRK trip in May became simply a one way trip to ORD after the overnight schedule changes. The AA refund page showed all segments eligible for refund. It initially offered a mailed voucher for the full amount, expiring in a year. When I clicked on "see other refund options" a box popped up offering a 120% voucher. I was tempted as it would have meant an extra ~400 dollars but I said no thanks and the refund proceeded as normal, with a note that the refund would be posted to my original form of payment within 7 days. It was interesting that the 120% offer is made only after you decline the original voucher offer.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by catcher1
You did better than me. Same situation, with LAX-LHR-LAX converting to the DFW connection, mid-April, using SWUs to upgrade. Telephoned EXP desk on March 24 to cancel. SWUs returned to my account the following day. As of April 7, prefunds.aa.com still shows "pending review", with no refund yet to credit card account.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Muckus
I have a similar reservation for May. The LAX-LHR flight is clearly cancelled since they've announced it and aren't selling seats, but when I look online or on the app it does not show the flight as cancelled. I guess this means I need to call for a refund?
please refer to wiki. No need to call for a refund on airline-initiated cancellation.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: Global Entry
A data point:

A passenger initiated ticket (nonrefundable domestic) cancellation due to COVID-19 travel advisory and then submitted a refund request. The refund request was denied by AA a few weeks later citing "nonrefundable ticket." The original flight was later cancelled by AA. AA is issuing eCredit for future AA booking instead.

Is CC chargeback the only recourse here?

Last edited by flyinggum; Apr 8, 2020 at 11:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.