Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 28, 20, 12:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
If your flight have been cancelled (you **should** be able to refund on schedule changes of >60 minutes) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.

2. Cancel reservation
3. Submit refund request online.
4. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 26, 20, 3:58 am

Dumb-ish question (Or totally dumb, your choice! ) but one that is slipping my mind - when one searches a canceled PNR on AA.com (putting in name and PNR of canceled trip), did anything used to come up? Right now I'm getting "technical difficulties", but I don't remember what it used to show to begin with...
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Octavia Ann Esparza View Post
OMG I PLANNED MY 2 weeks paid vacation home to Cali I needed this vacation now do to this virus rap my flight was canceled first of all not my fault my flight was canceled and yes my ticket is non refundable they could make special circumstances we didn稚 plan for this after the way I was treated by 7 operators kiss my ... Priceline and American Airlines for doing nothing my vacation ruined I知 stuck in Arizona all I want is my ticket less than 200 dollars is that really going to break ur bank money hungry corporations Smh I知 going to get a refund somehow because I will never going threw Priceline or American Airlines
Huh?
chicago747 and seigex like this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Dumb-ish question (Or totally dumb, your choice! ) but one that is slipping my mind - when one searches a canceled PNR on AA.com (putting in name and PNR of canceled trip), did anything used to come up? Right now I'm getting "technical difficulties", but I don't remember what it used to show to begin with...
Just a simple page with with the PNR and "Canceled". If you tried to pull it up in the app it would say it is unable to locate it.
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
OMG I PLANNED MY 2 weeks paid vacation home to Cali I needed this vacation now do to this virus rap my flight was canceled first of all not my fault my flight was canceled and yes my ticket is non refundable they could make special circumstances we didn稚 plan for this after the way I was treated by 7 operators kiss my ... Priceline and American Airlines for doing nothing my vacation ruined I知 stuck in Arizona all I want is my ticket less than 200 dollars is that really going to break ur bank money hungry corporations Smh I知 going to get a refund somehow because I will never going threw Priceline or American Airlines
Assuming this is serious I'll just say that your problem is likely with Priceline, not AA.
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paul_from_losangeles View Post

1. Telephone AA, wait on hold, and hope to resolve the situation.
2. Tweet AA, explain my problem, and hope for a reply.
3. Do nothing, and expect to receive an e-credit.
4. Select one of the offered flights, and hope that a Cancel button appears for the new "My Trip". Then Cancel the trip, and apply for a refund.

Thank you for any suggestions.
I believe for an actual refund, you have to do 1 or 2. If you do nothing, and the reassigned flight operates, you would become a No Show, possibly endangering a refund or even a voucher.

Interestingly, the refund process has several "roadblocks" now to encourage people to take the voucher. First, the voucher radio button is enabled and the refund button is disabled, while nearby a large OK button has the focus. If you inadvertently press enter on this page, you get a voucher (and not a 120% voucher, just the basic value voucher). I can see how users might quickly navigate through the refund screens and inadvertently end up with a voucher rather than a refund, even when entitled to a refund. Secondly, after declining the voucher, a second popup appears offering a 20% bonus. And the voucher does in fact come with a 20% bonus (I accepted this offer on a ticket entitled to an actual refund).

So to get a refund, a pax on a cancelled flight must
1. Communicate with AA to decline the automatically re-assigned flight (namely by canceling the reservation, noting that you will be applying for a refund)
2. Navigate to the Prefund page with the ticket number (not the locator code)
3. Carefully select the options for a refund, not a voucher
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Just a simple page with with the PNR and "Canceled". If you tried to pull it up in the app it would say it is unable to locate it.
Yeah, that's what I thought, thanks. The website now currently just shows a "technical error" when searching for a PNR that has been canceled with a promised refund. A coincidence, I'm sure, that I can't get any kind of paper trail at a time when they're actively trying to prevent people from getting refunds...
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
This happens normally. I've never been able to retrieve a PNR for a cancelled trip.
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by paul_from_losangeles View Post
I've read this entire thread, and I don't see the details for my situation. Perhaps, someone could comment.

On March 6, 2020, I bought a simple one-way domestic ticket for $140 on aa.com, to fly this Friday, March 27.

About 10 ago, I realized I would not take this trip because my event was postponed, and also the Covid-19 restrictions to stay-at-home, and avoid non-essential travel.

Rather than cancelling the flight for e-credit, I chose to wait for AA to cancel the flight, and possibly apply for a refund.

Today, March 25, I received an E-Mail from AA, stating that my flight was cancelled, and giving me two choices: accept a rebooking to another specified flight, or select another flight from a list of 13 flights. There was no option to cancel, either for a refund or e-credit.

I tried to submit a refund request at the refund screen, using my ticket number, but was told to first cancel my trip.

When I visit "My Trips", the trip has no Cancel button. It simply says "Your flight was canceled. We saved you a seat on a new flight", followed by the selection options mentioned above.

So, now, I'm puzzled. These seem to be my options. Please comment.

1. Telephone AA, wait on hold, and hope to resolve the situation.
2. Tweet AA, explain my problem, and hope for a reply.
3. Do nothing, and expect to receive an e-credit.
4. Select one of the offered flights, and hope that a Cancel button appears for the new "My Trip". Then Cancel the trip, and apply for a refund.

Thank you for any suggestions.
No question, do #1 . And good luck!
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Can you back up a few inches and slowly explain what exactly you booked and what happened?
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Can we get refunds on a ticket we cancel (to get full value credit), but then later find out the flight itself has been canceled/removed from the schedule? I'm kicking myself for canceling April flights for the flight credit when it's highly likely they'll be outright canceled and I could have gotten a refund.
I知 not familiar with this credit process. Is AA issuing a new credit or is this credit merely your unused ticket? If the later, and the flight do cancelled, just submit a refund request and under reason just indicate cancelled flight and see how far you get.
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
I知 not familiar with this credit process. Is AA issuing a new credit or is this credit merely your unused ticket? If the later, and the flight do cancelled, just submit a refund request and under reason just indicate cancelled flight and see how far you get.
You can only request a refund if you have not already cancelled your reservation and AA cancels the flight. The "credit" is your unused ticket. It's not like Jetblue's system where the residual value is moved into an account. If your ticket is eligible, aa.com will detect that and tell you your ticket is eligible for a refund (subject to review).
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Does Refund Status only show up after the request has been reviewed?
I had to get a phone agent to put in the refund request yesterday, but the website doesn't show any status on the refund.
Yes, I know I need to wait a couple days..
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:54 pm

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
Don't do # 4. I'd do # 1 (Telephone AA, ...and hope to resolve the situation).. You don't need to wait on hold. Just use the callback feature. It works well.
I have two refund/voucher issues and am unclear about options for proceeding.
Any assistance with any parts of my questions would be appreciated.
I have two cancellations to deal with.
1. Jrobin flights
YYZ-LHR-BCN-LHR-YYZ all BA flights booked online with AA (001 ticket), YYZ-LHR-BCN (N class) flown Feb 11; return booked March 31 BCN-LHR-YYZ (S-class).
Booked flight BA 485 BCN-LHR March 31 has been cancelled. I would prefer refund over voucher or flight change for entire return trip.
(a) will AA provide refund? or only a voucher?
(b) how can I estimate the amount of the refund/voucher? (Is the return half of a RT booking essentially valueless?) Is any EC261 compensation applicable? Is any Canada Transportation Agency compensation applicable?
(c) If only a voucher is an option, should I just cancel trip on "YourTrip" or should I contact AA by telephone?

2. Mrs Jrobin flights
YYZ-LHR-BCN-LHR-YYZ all BA flights booked online with travel agency (AA 001 ticket), YYZ-LHR-BCN (N class) flown Feb 11; return booked March 31 BCN-LHR-YYZ (S-class).
For some reason Manage My Booking on BA states that all flights have been flown.
Again I would prefer refund over voucher or flight change for entire return trip.
Should I "cancel trip" on "Your Trip", contact AA by telephone, or contact the travel agent?

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, BAEC Bronze, IHG Ambassador Spire, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
I had to get a phone agent to put in the refund request yesterday, but the website doesn't show any status on the refund.

A couple days has turned into 10 days for me. That's what I see online as well....pending review under 'request a refund status' and nothing under 'check your refund status'. I called again today and the agent checked with accounting. The response was.. we are running behind and need a few more days (14 or so?)

Not sure if I would be better off initiating a chargeback with AMEX at this point or not.
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by izzik View Post
I have the same issue when I use the 'check status' link. However, if I try to initiate a refund again, the current status will show and the system will not let me submit another request. As we all know, AA IT isn't the best.

Needless to say, this department is likely slammed. I'd plan to wait a few weeks. I would not submit a charge back on your CC. The CC will ask AA to investigate and give them a reasonable amount of time to do so, so I don't see that expediting the process.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: