Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
geckoflyer Did you manually cancel first through the web and then go onto the prefunds page? In my case AA hasn't even bothered to advise us of changing our flights, and the webisite doesn't show a change either, other than the obvious citiy pair changes.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fwdlink
However today I looked into my account and I see that AA has simply gone into our trip and put us on LHR/DFW - DFW/PHX without any notificaiton, or request for acceptance and in fact going into the account it doesn't even tell me anyhthing changed, giving me no option to reject this etc. like it normally does with irrops, so we've had an INVOL re-route. We clearly want a refund maintaining our rights to have one, so wondering if we should cancel on-line or should I go ahead and call. What bothers me is there isn't a scrap of a hint of the old trip....
I had something similar happen with me. I called AA who cancelled my trip and issued a refund. It was two steps for them - the refund via an escalation that was then sent for processing.

Last edited by Marx; Mar 28, 2020 at 8:36 am Reason: clarity
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lepmd
I spoke with an agent over the phone about a refund on March 15. Because my flight was canceled, they offered the refund. I still haven't received it yet. Is this normal?
Was this ticket wholly unused or partial usage? If partial, it will require manual work. If wholly unused, it should have been refunded within a week.
I just got two non-refundable tickets refunded start to finish in under a week without speaking anybody with the following:

Go to AA refunds page and plug in ticket# to check on refund status. If no evidence of refund do the following:

1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights
2. Cancel reservation
3. Submit refund request online.

Originally Posted by F1flyer
I have an itinerary booked with AA. It includes sectors with Qantas that have been cancelled. This happened at least 10 days ago but the sectors still show on my PNR. AA agents say that the flight hasn't been cancelled by AA yet.

I am sceptical. I know AA is lobbying the Government to stop paying cash refunds. Is there anything I can do to trigger my refund now?
What is displayed on your PNR? Are there missing flights?

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes. Expect it to take a while. We are in unusual times.

It’s a bit hard to tell from your information, but you could apply for a chargeback to your credit card. It depends a little on which flights have been cancelled and which haven’t. What is the itinerary and what has been cancelled?
Two data point I have for cancelled flights on wholly unused ticket is under five business days from request for refund to credit hitting the card.

Originally Posted by geckoflyer
As a quick data point, I had 2 tickets that had >2 hour schedule changes. Instead of calling, I submitted refund requests at prefunds.aa.com. Both were approved and issued within 24 hours. I had a 3rd itinerary where I did call in almost a week ago, and that refund hasn’t posted yet. So you may want to use the website before calling...it was certainly faster for me.
+1

For your 3rd itin, I recommend same process as my first response above.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Here's another data point.

2 months ago, I booked a leisurely trip to Dallas for this week, departing on 3/24. Booked into I class. Cancelled my flights a few days before departure. AA cancelled the return flight after I cancelled my trip. Yesterday, AA's refund page gave me the option to move forward; it was the first time I didn't see a "pending review" screen. AA offered me a voucher at 120% the value of the flight or I could get a full refund. I'm confident that my ticket was not fully refundable. But, I have confirmation that the entire ticket amount will be returned to my credit card.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by runpete
Here's another data point.

2 months ago, I booked a leisurely trip to Dallas for this week, departing on 3/24. Booked into I class. Cancelled my flights a few days before departure. AA cancelled the return flight after I cancelled my trip. Yesterday, AA's refund page gave me the option to move forward; it was the first time I didn't see a "pending review" screen. AA offered me a voucher at 120% the value of the flight or I could get a full refund. I'm confident that my ticket was not fully refundable. But, I have confirmation that the entire ticket amount will be returned to my credit card.
Please let us know if the refund does indeed show up. This would indicate an IT glitch in the passenger's favor.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:03 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Often1
Please let us know if the refund does indeed show up. This would indicate an IT glitch in the passenger's favor.
I think it is a loophole in process. When a refund on a non-ref ticket is being reviewed, I'm sure a check is made to confirm flight was actually cancelled but very likely a check against PNR cancel date/time and flight cancel date/time is overlooked.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Curious, I know most are getting refunds based on AA cancelling the flight.

What about cancelling of a service part of the booking?
I had booked 3 seats in first, including my mother, for a trip.
We have no intention of taking the trip now, may reschedule in fall, but not sure at this point.
I booked F, as my mother had never flown in F before.
Email came today that they cancelled the meal on our flights. Will that warrant a refund?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
Originally Posted by etsmyers
Curious, I know most are getting refunds based on AA cancelling the flight.

What about cancelling of a service part of the booking?
I had booked 3 seats in first, including my mother, for a trip.
We have no intention of taking the trip now, may reschedule in fall, but not sure at this point.
I booked F, as my mother had never flown in F before.
Email came today that they cancelled the meal on our flights. Will that warrant a refund?
I really doubt the meal cancellation will be seen by AA as a gounds for cancellation assuming the flight still goes. At the rate things are going it's more likely you could see a full on cancellation, but who knows depending upon the time and route.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:14 pm

Does anyone have an experience with refunds for a canceled flight if the original fare was purchased with a mix of CC and vouchers? The refunds page will only show the amount which was charged on the CC but I would want the whole value back and wouldn't even mind a new voucher to be issued. Thx
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PHL_Intl.
Does anyone have an experience with refunds for a canceled flight if the original fare was purchased with a mix of CC and vouchers? The refunds page will only show the amount which was charged on the CC but I would want the whole value back and wouldn't even mind a new voucher to be issued. Thx
When I tried to do that in normal times I couldn't get them to do it properly. I believe I was trying to do a 24 hour cancellation but the agent basically said the e-voucher was a one-time use thing and that I wouldn't be able to get it back. In the end I just gave up and kept the booking so I don't know whether I could escalated and got it fixed. I understood that they have no easy way to reset a voucher as as unused.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf

What is displayed on your PNR? Are there missing flights?
Flights all still show as scheduled, including my seat assignments.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:27 pm

Also checked prefunds and it says move of the flights are eligible.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:47 pm
Original Member

Then you have to wait for AA to get updates that the OF operated flights are cancelled. When is the departure?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: Global Entry

Last edited by flyinggum; Apr 8, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Then you have to wait for AA to get updates that the OF operated flights are cancelled. When is the departure?
11 April. Makes me suspicious though ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.