Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:11 pm
THR

So I tweeted AA (following my earlier award question) - and they said they are just under pressure and will deposit.

I did pay a change fee for my flight (changed it from Tokyo to Vienna, instead of to Munich). They said that's non-refundable. What does anyone think about that? It wasn't a small amount (for 2 x people). I would have thought that should be recoverable as well.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
You can only request a refund if you have not already cancelled your reservation and AA cancels the flight. The "credit" is your unused ticket. It's not like Jetblue's system where the residual value is moved into an account. If your ticket is eligible, aa.com will detect that and tell you your ticket is eligible for a refund (subject to review).
If the unused ticket is the credit, then passenger can request a refund using the original ticket# and passenger will be presented with a form with a refund reason drop down. Select cancelled flight.

Now whether AA has a process behind the scene to actually validate that PNR was cancelled prior to AA flight cancellation is the $$$ question.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrobin
I have two refund/voucher issues and am unclear about options for proceeding.
Any assistance with any parts of my questions would be appreciated.
I have two cancellations to deal with.
1. Jrobin flights
YYZ-LHR-BCN-LHR-YYZ all BA flights booked online with AA (001 ticket), YYZ-LHR-BCN (N class) flown Feb 11; return booked March 31 BCN-LHR-YYZ (S-class).
Booked flight BA 485 BCN-LHR March 31 has been cancelled. I would prefer refund over voucher or flight change for entire return trip.
(a) will AA provide refund? or only a voucher?
(b) how can I estimate the amount of the refund/voucher? (Is the return half of a RT booking essentially valueless?) Is any EC261 compensation applicable? Is any Canada Transportation Agency compensation applicable?
(c) If only a voucher is an option, should I just cancel trip on "YourTrip" or should I contact AA by telephone?

2. Mrs Jrobin flights
YYZ-LHR-BCN-LHR-YYZ all BA flights booked online with travel agency (AA 001 ticket), YYZ-LHR-BCN (N class) flown Feb 11; return booked March 31 BCN-LHR-YYZ (S-class).
For some reason Manage My Booking on BA states that all flights have been flown.
Again I would prefer refund over voucher or flight change for entire return trip.
Should I "cancel trip" on "Your Trip", contact AA by telephone, or contact the travel agent?

Thanks
GO to AA refunds page, plug in the 001 ticket number for request receipt. That should tell you ticket status. It should say OPEN for those unflown segments. If the return on the roundtrip is cancelled by carrier, then your refund is the value of unused flight coupons and associated taxes/carrier imposed charges. It may not be exactly be 50% of the ticket price but there is certainly some value to be refunded.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Good news. I requested a refund (and redeposit of confirmed SWUs) on via the EXP desk 3/17 for my flight on 4/19 that I cancelled myself. Couldn't get a status update on prefunds.aa.com since I had done it over the phone. As of yesterday the status was still in "pending review" from the @AmericanAir twitter and prefunds still didn't show any status (just said that the request didn't exist).

Just checked now and a refund for the full amount was sent back to my credit card as of last night.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by seigex
Good news. I requested a refund (and redeposit of confirmed SWUs) on via the EXP desk 3/17 for my flight on 4/19 that I cancelled myself. Couldn't get a status update on prefunds.aa.com since I had done it over the phone. As of yesterday the status was still in "pending review" from the @AmericanAir twitter and prefunds still didn't show any status (just said that the request didn't exist).

Just checked now and a refund for the full amount was sent back to my credit card as of last night.
I submitted my refund request over the phone on Monday, so it looks like I have another week, or so to go. Prefunds cant even find the request, but if I try to cancel the flights using the ticket number, I do get to a screen that it is still pending review. I’m guessing I’ll see the 100K of mileage upgrade hit my account around the same time as the credit card refund shows up.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I had an invol flight change due to cancellation/cutbacks for a trip in April. After the change, I cancelled online 5 days ago and submitted refund request via prefunds. I received the statement credit today.

So refunds are working normally for these kinds of routine requests, and there should be no need to call.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Same here. I submitted my refund request yesterday. AA approved it within a few hours. The process is working.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I had an invol flight change due to cancellation/cutbacks for a trip in April. After the change, I cancelled online 5 days ago and submitted refund request via prefunds. I received the statement credit today.

So refunds are working normally for these kinds of routine requests, and there should be no need to call.
Mine was an otherwise non-nrefundable ticket that I would have got a credit for if I didn't call and couldn't submit it via prefunds due to confirmed SWUs (website wouldn't let me process it). I was directed by AA Twitter to call.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:23 pm

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Some follow-up to my note 42 on this thread.

Following the advice at note 43 (thank you, USFlyerUS), I called American Airlines, using the Gold number (I have Gold status).

I was immediately connected to the options recording, without a hold, and I requested refunds.

Then, I was immediately connected to a wonderful real person on the first ring, without a hold, and she quickly processed my request to cancel my trip and process a refund.

My status is now as per notes 59 & 60: I can see Pending Review, after a re-initiate action, but check status shows nothing.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:59 pm

I spoke with an agent over the phone about a refund on March 15. Because my flight was canceled, they offered the refund. I still haven't received it yet. Is this normal?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have an itinerary booked with AA. It includes sectors with Qantas that have been cancelled. This happened at least 10 days ago but the sectors still show on my PNR. AA agents say that the flight hasn't been cancelled by AA yet.

I am sceptical. I know AA is lobbying the Government to stop paying cash refunds. Is there anything I can do to trigger my refund now?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lepmd
I spoke with an agent over the phone about a refund on March 15. Because my flight was canceled, they offered the refund. I still haven't received it yet. Is this normal?
Yes. Expect it to take a while. We are in unusual times.

Originally Posted by F1flyer
I have an itinerary booked with AA. It includes sectors with Qantas that have been cancelled. This happened at least 10 days ago but the sectors still show on my PNR. AA agents say that the flight hasn't been cancelled by AA yet.

I am sceptical. I know AA is lobbying the Government to stop paying cash refunds. Is there anything I can do to trigger my refund now?
It’s a bit hard to tell from your information, but you could apply for a chargeback to your credit card. It depends a little on which flights have been cancelled and which haven’t. What is the itinerary and what has been cancelled?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:58 am

As a quick data point, I had 2 tickets that had >2 hour schedule changes. Instead of calling, I submitted refund requests at prefunds.aa.com. Both were approved and issued within 24 hours. I had a 3rd itinerary where I did call in almost a week ago, and that refund hasn’t posted yet. So you may want to use the website before calling...it was certainly faster for me.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite

It’s a bit hard to tell from your information, but you could apply for a chargeback to your credit card. It depends a little on which flights have been cancelled and which haven’t. What is the itinerary and what has been cancelled?
Due to fly SYD-DFW-LHR 11 Apr. QF7 then AA50. AA50 is still scheduled but QF7 is cancelled.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
Interesting Data Point on Change Made & Questions

Hi all, first thanks to all those that are providing their experiences thus far and offering some advise, greatly appreciated.

1. We were due to fly 4/4 LHR/PHX and then return SFO/LHR, all on AA ticket stock. I've had no communication whatsoever from AA on our flight status but know the LHR/PHX flight isn't running and know it would be cancelled. However today I looked into my account and I see that AA has simply gone into our trip and put us on LHR/DFW - DFW/PHX without any notificaiton, or request for acceptance and in fact going into the account it doesn't even tell me anyhthing changed, giving me no option to reject this etc. like it normally does with irrops, so we've had an INVOL re-route. We clearly want a refund maintaining our rights to have one, so wondering if we should cancel on-line or should I go ahead and call. What bothers me is there isn't a scrap of a hint of the old trip, of course other than my original booking mails etc. I checked on prefunds.aa.com and it says I'm not eligible, but that doesn't surprise me since the trip isn't cancelled yet. I obviously don't want AA skirting the fact that the PHX flight is actuallyl cancelled as we want a refund and not a voucher and want to be assured of that. Thoughts from others highly appreciated...

2. Our second challenge is we have one in-country flight that isn't in our long-haul roundtrip itinerary (that's because each time we added it the price went up to £10k!) we want to get it refunded too as we obviously won't be in the USA now, but accept this one we may have to go the travel insurance route. Anyone have any feedback on success of getting an "orphaned" flight sitting outside of the International legs also refunded if talking to an agent?

Thanks much in advance, and stay healthy and safe everyone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.