Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kingcole974
it was purchased after April. The time chane is less than an hour. My angle was on the fact the flight number had changed
I don't think that has qualified for refunds in several years.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Equipment changes

Hi all,
i don’t see much discussion around equipment changes and refunds so I figured I’d ask about the latest. In the past I’ve used equipment changes to get a full refund. An ORD DCA segment in July just changed from a 737 to a 319 with a 5 minute change. I have no need for the flight anymore and would prefer a refund over a voucher. Should I take the lack of equipment swaps mentioned here to mean I’m unlikely to get a refund? Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by tetudc
Hi all,
i don’t see much discussion around equipment changes and refunds so I figured I’d ask about the latest. In the past I’ve used equipment changes to get a full refund. An ORD DCA segment in July just changed from a 737 to a 319 with a 5 minute change. I have no need for the flight anymore and would prefer a refund over a voucher. Should I take the lack of equipment swaps mentioned here to mean I’m unlikely to get a refund? Thanks!
IME yes. I just had a situation where my B787 was downgraded to an A321, which is especially significant since I was in F. I eventually got a flight change but only because my itin also changed to arrive later. You can always call and ask, but unless you catch an AAgent on a really good day, it will be hard to make a credible case that an A319 is worse than a B737.
tetudc likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 1:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
<wrong thread>

Last edited by Nephoi; May 23, 2021 at 1:16 am
Old May 23, 2021, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by tetudc
Hi all,
I think the equipment change clause is only in the international CoC, which would guarantee you a refund if there's any change of equipment (even B737 to A319) that the customer finds unacceptable. I don't think that exists for strictly domestic itineraries- so you will be more at the mercy of whatever agent you reach - especially if it's a swap to a nearly identical narrowbody product.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 23, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I think the equipment change clause is only in the international CoC, which would guarantee you a refund if there's any change of equipment (even B737 to A319) that the customer finds unacceptable. I don't think that exists for strictly domestic itineraries- so you will be more at the mercy of whatever agent you reach - especially if it's a swap to a nearly identical narrowbody product.

-FlyerBeek
afaik it does, i cancelled multiple tickets for that reason
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
What am I entitled to? AA canceled my direct TLV-MIA flight in flagship business and rebooked me TLV-MAD-MIA the next day. First leg of the trip was in coach. Cancellation led to an overnight stay but the AA call center said I was on my own for the cost of the hotel.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:19 am

AA refund takes forever

Anyone has any inside tips on getting refunded from AA? I put in request due to schedule change and refund is supposed to go back to my credit card plus flight credits because that’s what I used for booking. It’s been more than 14 days now still nothing. Call and chat in all told you wait. Thank you. Send contact via request refund page, not heard back. Check refund status still in progress. Not sure what else to do to get money back from AA.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flybie
Anyone has any inside tips on getting refunded from AA? I put in request due to schedule change and refund is supposed to go back to my credit card plus flight credits because that’s what I used for booking. It’s been more than 14 days now still nothing. Call and chat in all told you wait. Thank you. Send contact via request refund page, not heard back. Check refund status still in progress. Not sure what else to do to get money back from AA.
Was any portion of this ticket purchased with a credit card or was it a result of using flight/trip credit? If the former remind them DoT requires refunds to be processed within 7 business days.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:34 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I find success with the twitter direct message. Provide ticket number and the date of request and ask for an update and - as mentioned above - remind them of the DOT 7 business day rule. I also had a refund recently took 14 business days. They say 7-10 business days when you request it. I wish we had 7-10 business days to pay for a booking.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Was any portion of this ticket purchased with a credit card or was it a result of using flight/trip credit? If the former remind them DoT requires refunds to be processed within 7 business days.
It was a combination of both because my flight credit did not cover the whole cost, so I put the remaining on a credit card which was a large amount. Thank you I'll reach out to Twitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.