Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Anecdotal: Three weeks ago I requested cancellations on HKG-NYC flights. Travel agent booked but AA took over the ticket. Story goes:

1. Phoned EXP line which told me to cancel via the online refunds mechanism
2. Did that and it has been 'pending review' ever since
3. Phone EXP line again and told they had no sight over refunds process but would "send a message to the refunds team"
4. Later I sent my own message to refunds team via online email contact page, no response
5. Then I sent a second message to refunds team via online email contact page, again no response

I deliberately left waiting to claim the refund because I knew there would be a tidalwave of requests that the team would have to deal with, so did want to add to the flow, looks like a mistake

Will be calling the refunds team but not expecting anything.

My originally planned flights departs in less than a week.

I am open to suggestions!!
Old May 11, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Anecdotal: Three weeks ago I requested cancellations on HKG-NYC flights. Travel agent booked but AA took over the ticket. Story goes:

1. Phoned EXP line which told me to cancel via the online refunds mechanism
2. Did that and it has been 'pending review' ever since
3. Phone EXP line again and told they had no sight over refunds process but would "send a message to the refunds team"
4. Later I sent my own message to refunds team via online email contact page, no response
5. Then I sent a second message to refunds team via online email contact page, again no response

I deliberately left waiting to claim the refund because I knew there would be a tidalwave of requests that the team would have to deal with, so did want to add to the flow, looks like a mistake

Will be calling the refunds team but not expecting anything.

My originally planned flights departs in less than a week.

I am open to suggestions!!
I think you'll have to wait a bit longer. I, and others, have been waiting more than a month! I have made contact via Twitter message, twice, and was advised to wait but they would send a message to the refund team. Nothing happened! So you are not alone! And our original flight would have left last Friday.

By the way, where did you find the contact details for the refund team?

Last edited by johnash; May 11, 2020 at 12:11 am Reason: Added to.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by johnash
I think you'll have to wait a bit longer. I, and others, have been waiting more than a month! I have made contact via Twitter message, twice, and was advised to wait but they would send a message to the refund team. Nothing happened! So you are not alone! And our original flight would have left last Friday. By the way, where did you find the contact details for the refund team?
I am not really worried about waiting, these are extrodinary circumstances, all I would like to know is what will happen and when. I do not mind if it takes a while. Just to add there was use of a SWU thrown in for good measure.

Just after I posted I got a message from my travel agent regarding change of flights, a bit wierd given 3 of the 4 flights booked had been completely cancelled. I called the travel agent who did not know the ticket had been cancelled so they said they would request a cancellation as well. So I just know this is going to get messy.

On calling American they said "we will refund cash" then "We will refund credit card" so I then asked how could they know my account or the credit card number used? To be told after I seemed to have led the chap to an epiphany "that AA would refund the travel agent who would then refund me" The fact he did not tell me this to begin with seems odd.

I looked again they only supply fax numbers. Funny they don't want callers.

Good luck with your refund
Old May 11, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
DPs:

I cancelled two trips on separate calls. In each case the agent told me "no problem", and instructed me to provide the ticket # to the "prefunds" page so the $ would be refunded.

Upon doing so, it offered me the choice of accepting a voucher, or "other". I selected "other"; it gave me the choice of the $ back to the card, or 20% more in an eVoucher. So I accepted the latter.

We'll see how long it takes.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
My experience has been all over the map.
Back in March, I called to cancel and was issued a refund fairly quickly.
Last month, had to cancel an international flight that went from non-stop to a connection. Agent on phone cancelled. Took about a month, a few phone calls, and several Twitter DM's to actually get the funds back to my credit card.
Last week, my codeshare flights (operated by BA) were cancelled. I called AA, agent cancelled the flights, told me to go to Prefunds.AA to request refund. They're currently on "Pending Review" and my guess is probably another 30 days before I see anything...
Old May 11, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
What is a current reasonable expectation time for a refund to be processed ... before I need to call and see what is going on?
Old May 11, 2020, 9:01 pm

Probably my situation is a little different. I booked a flight then changed my mind and cancelled after one hour. Per booking page it said I had 24 hours for cancelation for full refund. When I canceled, I received a generic email! The value was not even mentioned in the email:
"Don’t worry, the value of your ticket is safe. Please wait to call until you’re ready to rebook, and you’ll be able to use the value of your unused ticket and seat purchase toward a future trip. Keep this email, which includes your ticket number, for when you’re ready to rebook.

If you:
  • Canceled within 24 hours of ticket purchase, and at least 2 days before departure, we'll process your refund automatically.
  • Booked with AAdvantage® miles, and your trip is eligible, we'll automatically reinstate your miles within 48 hours.
  • Didn't book directly with American, please contact your travel agency or original booking source to rebook your trip."
Now I wonder how long it will take...I hope it will be processed in a different category than the slow co-vid related processing.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Just to add there was use of a SWU thrown in for good measure.
Are you still waiting for the SWU to be credited back? I'm in a similar situation and actually have more value in the SWU's than in the remaining ticket value.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
Probably my situation is a little different. I booked a flight then changed my mind and cancelled after one hour. Per booking page it said I had 24 hours for cancelation for full refund. When I canceled, I received a generic email! The value was not even mentioned in the email:
"Don’t worry, the value of your ticket is safe. Please wait to call until you’re ready to rebook, and you’ll be able to use the value of your unused ticket and seat purchase toward a future trip. Keep this email, which includes your ticket number, for when you’re ready to rebook.

If you:
  • Canceled within 24 hours of ticket purchase, and at least 2 days before departure, we'll process your refund automatically.
  • Booked with AAdvantage® miles, and your trip is eligible, we'll automatically reinstate your miles within 48 hours.
  • Didn't book directly with American, please contact your travel agency or original booking source to rebook your trip."
Now I wonder how long it will take...I hope it will be processed in a different category than the slow co-vid related processing.
any input?
Old May 12, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by timc01
Are you still waiting for the SWU to be credited back? I'm in a similar situation and actually have more value in the SWU's than in the remaining ticket value.
Yes, but that really is not important to me at this time. Living in Hong Kong I probably will not be able to visit the US again until at least September so using SWUs can wait.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
Flights not canceled, but massive rescheduling. Can I get a refund?

My husband and I had scheduled a trip to San Francisco in June to hear the San Francisco Symphony for one of Michael Tillson Thomas's last performances before he retires. The symphony canceled the rest of the 2019-2020 season. We got our money back for the concert tickets. Now there's this matter of our plane tickets.

I booked JFK-SFO non-stop, First class on an A321. Original flight was leaving JFK at 7:00 am. Then AA rescheduled us for 11:00 am on same type of aircraft. Now they rescheduled us again, leaving at 1:00 pm. JFK-CLT CLT-SFO. Over 1.5 hour connection time. Both flights are on 737s. Entirely different First class experience. I purposely had booked the non-stops on the A321 because of the first configuration and the overall experience. Am I entitled to a refund?

We have no reason to go to San Francisco since the concert is canceled. I highly doubt anything worthwhile will have reopened. Besides we didn't spend the money on first to be switched to a 737 with a glorified business class seat.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ppwchess
My husband and I had scheduled a trip to San Francisco in June to hear the San Francisco Symphony for one of Michael Tillson Thomas's last performances before he retires. The symphony canceled the rest of the 2019-2020 season. We got our money back for the concert tickets. Now there's this matter of our plane tickets.

I booked JFK-SFO non-stop, First class on an A321. Original flight was leaving JFK at 7:00 am. Then AA rescheduled us for 11:00 am on same type of aircraft. Now they rescheduled us again, leaving at 1:00 pm. JFK-CLT CLT-SFO. Over 1.5 hour connection time. Both flights are on 737s. Entirely different First class experience. I purposely had booked the non-stops on the A321 because of the first configuration and the overall experience. Am I entitled to a refund?

We have no reason to go to San Francisco since the concert is canceled. I highly doubt anything worthwhile will have reopened. Besides we didn't spend the money on first to be switched to a 737 with a glorified business class seat.
You should absolutely be entitled to a refund since your departure and arrival time were both changed, drastically. Not to mention the class of service...
Old May 13, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Our flights were cancelled and I made a claim for refunds on 10th April. Up until yesterday, there had been no change in the "Pending Review" status. I called AA and spoke to a great agent in Trinidad & Tobago. She spoke to her "support department" and they Emailed the refund department, who were closed at the time.

It may be a co-incidence but I got messages (one via Twitter, where I'd been chasing too, and one on the AA app) that refunds had been issued. We can now move on and get on with planning the next trip for..... whenever!

As a heads up, the agent mentioned that, apart from the flood of applications for refunds, they had also had technical issues with had been delaying things.

So it was 32/33 days from claim to the refund being processed.

Good luck everyone.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Data point. Refund requested 05May. Processed 14May. Took 9 days.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Data point. Refund requested 05May. Processed 14May. Took 9 days.
Exactly the same for me - although the two SWU's haven't appeared back in my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.