Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edfisher
I am certain your Platinum status is what expedited your refund. The rest of us are "pending review" for over 7 days.
It still took until late last week for the refund to actually post on my credit card.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by edfisher
I am certain your Platinum status is what expedited your refund. The rest of us are "pending review" for over 7 days.
Originally Posted by ajf87
It still took until late last week for the refund to actually post on my credit card.
We have been waiting "pending review" for 18 days. I Twitter messaged AA and they told me not to worry, it was in hand. I'll give them a few more days before chasing again. It's a lot of money to be refunded and I wonder if their system is somehow slipping us down the queue?!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Apologies not to have trawled through all the posts but a quick question: I have a (very expensive) fully refundable ticket for much later in the year that I need to cancel. When I get to the cancel option online I get this message ""There's no need to call Reservations right now. You can cancel your trip and use the value of your unused ticket toward future travel on American. If you cancel, we’ll send an email that includes your ticket number. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook."

I just want to check that if I go ahead and push the cancel button I am not somehow locking myself into a credit voucher situation, but will still be able to go ahead through the normal online refund process using the ticket number. If someone could please confirm this it would be very helpful.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by johnash
We have been waiting "pending review" for 18 days. I Twitter messaged AA and they told me not to worry, it was in hand.!
I can beat that! lol Been pending review for 29 days so far... Reached out through all the usual routes (including twitter) and still waiting on a meaningful update or actual refund.
johnash likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by wolf539
I can beat that! lol Been pending review for 29 days so far... Reached out through all the usual routes (including twitter) and still waiting on a meaningful update or actual refund.
Thanks. I suppose that's a bit of a relief. A bit like when there's a power cut and you find your neighbours have no power either! Perhaps you'd post when it's been processed. I promise to too!

As a point of information, refunds for 5 Star service we'd booked were issued by the agent immediately and appeared on my CC after about 5 or 6 days.
wolf539 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:28 am

33 days for me, but I was told upfront it could take longer than usual and might need “extra research” — partially used, mixed class, ex-US origination, SWU, fare information missing. Agent said she’d have to “just make up a fare” to get the process going.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Apologies not to have trawled through all the posts but a quick question: I have a (very expensive) fully refundable ticket for much later in the year that I need to cancel. When I get to the cancel option online I get this message ""There's no need to call Reservations right now. You can cancel your trip and use the value of your unused ticket toward future travel on American. If you cancel, we’ll send an email that includes your ticket number. Keep this handy so you can refer to it when you call to rebook."

I just want to check that if I go ahead and push the cancel button I am not somehow locking myself into a credit voucher situation, but will still be able to go ahead through the normal online refund process using the ticket number. If someone could please confirm this it would be very helpful.
I would advise against pushing that button. The best way to receive a cash refund to the original form of purchase is to phone the airline.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I can't beat that!

I had two tickets booked MIA-SJU 03/19 & two Y-UP tickets booked SJU-CLT-ORD 03/28. Total fare was about $1100. I was supposed to be going on a Southern Caribbean Cruise to the Dutch Antilles. That cruise was cancelled so I cancelled the AA reservations on 3/10 expecting a travel voucher I could use at a later date.

I have no idea if the flights actually flew but after reading this thread, I thought I would check out my ticket numbers for a possible refund on 4/17

Surprisingly, the two Y-UP fares were eligible for a refund. The other two were not eligible but I remember that a time change had occured on that segment that was approximately an hour later. I submitted those as well noting the time change.

Time frame.

03/10/20 Flights Cancelled
04/17/20 Refund Requested
04/23/20 Request Processed
04/24/20 Email confirmations of refund processed
04/28/20 Funds credited to my Credit Card

AA status : None!

I also had an AA award booked TPE-HKG-BNE-AKL for February 7th that I had to cancel. I was booked on a Auckland to Sydney cruise which was denying boarding of passengers who were in or transited China, Hong Kong & Taiwan. When I explained the situation to the AA CSR, she put me on a brief hold, then cancelled the award, refunded the taxes & redeposited the miles without a fee.

I have been pretty impressed with AA lately. So much better than prior experiences.

James
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392
I would advise against pushing that button. The best way to receive a cash refund to the original form of purchase is to phone the airline.
That is not very good advice, since even a cursory reading of this thread will reveal that the lowest friction way to get a refund from AA is to request it on the website.

Having said that, AA is basically trying to trick people into not requesting a refund on that page. For a fully refundable fare, there's no harm in cancelling and then requesting a refund but you do actually need to continue onto the refunds site and go through the refund request flow because just cancelling the flight will result in a residual credit rather than a refund.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by whimsey21
My AA flights were cancelled, and I'm trying to decide whether to get a refund, or go for the voucher with a 20% bonus. My cancelled flights were for four people to Europe, so the 20% is a decent amount (otherwise I'd take the cash in a heartbeat) . I've not done vouchers before-- I know that I'll have to use them within a year, and that presumably if I purchase tickets for less than the voucher amount I'll get a new voucher for the residual. In the pre-coronavirus past, I flew AA for personal travel ~4 times/year and always stuck with AA since my wife and I both have had status. Going forward, I assume I'll do the same thing, though clearly there is a lot of uncertainty around how status will work this year (my work travel has been zeroed out since january) and when travel will resume in earnest such that I can try to use my vouchers. Is there any prevailing opinion on whether to go with refund or increased voucher amount? Are there any downsides to the vouchers (other than the time limit and being forced to choose AA) that I'm missing? Thanks!
is this still happening? Will an agent offer 20% bonus if I accept a voucher instead of refund when I call to cancel a booking that has a few flights cancelled within it? I haven’t heard much lately on that bonus option
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Was in "pending review" holding pattern for 28 calendar days before I received the email entitled "Your refund is complete". Credit to the original form of payment appeared 3 days after that email.

Could be time to revise the language on prefunds.aa.com which reads: When you submit a refund request, we'll determine if your ticket is eligible. It may take up to 7 business days for this process to happen.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by jordyn
That is not very good advice, since even a cursory reading of this thread will reveal that the lowest friction way to get a refund from AA is to request it on the website.

Having said that, AA is basically trying to trick people into not requesting a refund on that page. For a fully refundable fare, there's no harm in cancelling and then requesting a refund but you do actually need to continue onto the refunds site and go through the refund request flow because just cancelling the flight will result in a residual credit rather than a refund.
Thanks for this, which is what I had done in the past. I just want to check that AA has not followed BA's example and changed the website, to route pax into accepting a credit voucher which then bars them from claiming a cash refund. On ba.com there is no longer any option to cancel and refund on the website. It's cancel and voucher only via the website, or call up for a cash refund. Just checking that AA has not made a similar change?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:09 pm

Similar situation to others but can't find an exact answer. Have an AA booking on BA metal BOS-LHR-PSA in June. BA cancelled the LHR-PSA leg late last week but AA still shows that flight as confirmed and operating (and I'm sure the BOS-LHR schedule for June is about to get pruned from 4 flights/day in the next few days). I was in touch with AA Twitter and they said to wait until flight is cancelled on their end so refund application is not delayed. Question for the thread is how long after BA cancels should it show up in my PNR? This was cash paid for four P tickets and would love to get refund sooner rather than later...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Thanks to fellow FTers on this Forum for advice on getting a refund on flights as opposed to the (airline preferred) credit. Once I used the “prefund” link posted a few weeks ago and followed instructions, everything went smoothly.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by johnash
Thanks. I suppose that's a bit of a relief. A bit like when there's a power cut and you find your neighbours have no power either! Perhaps you'd post when it's been processed. I promise to too!
Update: Twitter DM proved to be the best route for me. Refund processed yesterday after 31 days. Waiting for it to hit my CC account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.