Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:45 am

I requested a refund for 3 tickets on the same AA reservation on MAR 23. One of the refunds was processed and refunded on APR 5. The other two are still pending a month later now. Can anyone explain why that is?

When I call or reach out to American on twitter, I am told to keep waiting, but they can't explain why only one ticket was processed and why others on this forum have been getting refunds when they submitted them much later than me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how much longer I should wait or where I can go from here?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IflyonAA
I bought a package via Expedia but was successful in requesting a full refund via AA.com after my flight (to Barbados) was cancelled. Very easy.
Who did they refund the money back to?
Expedia usually charges your credit card for a package deal, not the airline / hotel separately.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD
refund of $75 + miles for AA mileage uprade seat

I received a generic email today from AA refunds stating that I was not entitled to a refund of the $75 I spent along with 15,000 miles for a mileage upgrade seat for a flight that was cancelled by AA due to Covid 19. The miles were refunded immediately after one phone call more than a week ago but now this. Can anyone explain why AA would say "We're sorry, our research indicates the fee was charged correctly, and no refund is due." I thought all associated fees and taxes were to be refunded for a flight that was cancelled by the airline.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Does anyone know if change fees are refundable when the target flight has been canceled, and a refund has already been processed for the fare?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by izzik
Who did they refund the money back to?
Expedia usually charges your credit card for a package deal, not the airline / hotel separately.
AA refunded me directly. I could not get through to anyone at Expedia so called AA and they took care of it. They were very helpful about it.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by umaa83
Wife and I had an AA reservation where BA cancelled the flight, thus making it eligible for a refund. Called AA to confirm, agent agreed, told me to submit request online which I did. When I submitted online, it said the total sale amount was $38. I actually paid $3,775 per ticket. Called AA back and the agent asked if my screen said "manual review required" which it did. She said it was due to my ticket being re-issued at some point (it was) and that the manual review will adjust the refund to the correct amount. Anyone have this happen to them and did you get the correct amount back or should I be prepared for a fight?
Yes I had the same. The ticket was reissued by AA and the amount to be refunded was about £16 each for the two of us. I called the UK line and was told not to worry. It was a glitch and the full amount (thousands of GBP) would be refunded. The refund is still awaiting manual review.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:41 am

Does it count as a cancelled flight if the flight numbers (and also operating carrier, from American Eagle to AA) change? The time has also changed, but less than the 120 minutes threshold (itinerary was booked prior to April 2020).
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I hate to be suspicious, but I do wonder if it has anything to do with the value of the tickets. My prior refunds were all fairly small but the one I'm waiting on is several thousand dollars. I don't know if it's a concerted effort to slow-pay the refunds on higher value tickets or just simply an overwhelmed system.
Speaking of suspicious...had flight cancellations on a couple int'l J tix and requested refund. Took 10 days for AA to process refund, but the amount refunded was minus $400/ticket. Called today to ask about the balance. ExPlat agent spoke with refund department which claimed that there was a computer error. On int'l tix, the "computer" is "automatically" deducting change/cxl fee even though it's not supposed to. Not sure this explanation passes the straight face test, but it is what I was told. Watch your wallets, ladies and gents.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
Does it count as a cancelled flight if the flight numbers (and also operating carrier, from American Eagle to AA) change? The time has also changed, but less than the 120 minutes threshold (itinerary was booked prior to April 2020).
AA typically issues refunds on the basis of change in operating carrier.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold/AF Gold/HHonors Gold/AMEX Plat/Bonvoy Gold/TAP Miles and Go Gold
In my case I applied for a refund due to change of equipment. Bought a F/J LHR/DFW/LIM/DFW/LHR and changed by AA to LHR/MIA/LIM/MIA/LHR from Intl 757 lie flat Business to Peru to a Domestic A-321 for a 6 hours flight. Due to the change of lie flat and schedule change the agent confirmed I could apply for a full refund. With the retirement of the 757/767, LIM has been changed to a domestic A-321 Business Class sold as Flagship Business when clearly is not.
Interesting to see how they will compete with LAN 767/787 from Peru to US, Delta 767, United 767/757 all with lie flat seats in Business Class.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by econ
AA typically issues refunds on the basis of change in operating carrier.
This was incredibly helpful. I just called AA and was able to cancel my booking based on the operating carrier changing (from American Eagle to AA). I got a full refund.
seawolf and econ like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Speaking of suspicious...had flight cancellations on a couple int'l J tix and requested refund. Took 10 days for AA to process refund, but the amount refunded was minus $400/ticket. Called today to ask about the balance. ExPlat agent spoke with refund department which claimed that there was a computer error. On int'l tix, the "computer" is "automatically" deducting change/cxl fee even though it's not supposed to. Not sure this explanation passes the straight face test, but it is what I was told. Watch your wallets, ladies and gents.
That hadn't been my experience, though my refund was due to schedule change. Int'l J, called and they cancelled and requested refund. Took about 8 business days to process fully, but nothing was missing from the refund.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
After two weeks, reached out on Twitter and received a message back confirming the refund and the dollar amount per ticket. They confirmed the amount refunded to the card and should post 7-10 days. Just checking the card each day now to see it magically appear...
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
as a data point: still waiting for my refund claimed 04/07.. should i contact them again? its still on "pending review"
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
As a data point - Flight JFK -> MIA / MIA -> JFK booked in January 2020 so before the new regulations of time changes for refund, flight was moved by approx 2 hours. Called up about 2 weeks ago and was assisted by a very friendly customer service rep. Walked me through what I would have to do, he cancelled the flights as saw the time change so that i could request a refund on the prefunds site. Was on "pending review for and on Thursday this week money already back in my account a few days ago.
Great service I have to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.